Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Monitor monthly broadband useage so don't go over cap???  (Read 5568 times)

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
Monitor monthly broadband useage so don't go over cap???
« on: October 15, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »

I hope this is in the right area but can anybody recommend any PC software that would allow me to monitor the following?

Daily broadband useage
Total monthly useage
Monthly useage remaining
And if possible an alarm by either pop up window or email to inform me if I'm close to my cap?

I have this exact same type of software on my Android phone but am struggling to find anything similar for a windows 7 PC.

Can any body make any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Monitor monthly broadband useage so don't go over cap???
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »

I use NetLimiter and find it fairly good.

It's been on my system for a long time now and knowing me I may have deleted one or two of the monitoring settings, because the actual reading does not always tally up with what my VM Modem/Router says.

But it does for me and helps to stop me being a victim of VM Traffic control.

It will also show Hourly and Annual readings.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:48:06 PM »

I use NetLimiter and find it fairly good and believe at least one other person here on the forum also uses it or has used it in the past.

It's been on my system for a long time now and knowing me I may have deleted one or two of the monitoring settings, because the actual reading does not always tally up with what my VM Modem/Router says.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »

I use NetLimiter and find it fairly good.

Thank you very much for the reply. I had a look at Netlimiter and it looks really good. Just out of interest which version do you use? It appears they have a free version, lite version and Pro version.

Thanks again, very helpful.

:)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:38 PM »

I actually still use v1.3 Pro, yes a very old version but it actually works better for me than the later versions. (or at least the last time I tried updating that is)
Basically I liked to take a backup so that when I re-ghosted my HDD I could re-instate the old data as well, but unfortunately one of MS updates has but the kibosh on that, but the actual program still works fine, just not able to backup the program.

Also for myself I also found my version enabled me to save a reading which I could then re-copy into a excel spreadsheet which I concocted to keep track of the different hours of usage for traffic management purposes, which again newer versions did not seem to allow me to do, so basically newer versions were far to complicated and to restricting.

Unfortunately my version came from Demonoid which has recently been shut down (torrent site)

Thanks for the reminder and especially the mention of a lite free version of which I will be trying in the near future.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »

Thank you once again.

I'm downloading the freeware version of netlimiter now and am going to give it a try.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 09:31:53 PM »

In that case can you let me know 2 things please.

1. Is there the facility to 'Import or Export' settings in the 'File' menu. (Program backup or/and restore)

2. On the 'Stats' page is there a setting to 'Save as' basically save a copy of the open page in htm format.
 (that way I can open a copy the figures for my spreadsheet)

** Neither of which I could find the last time I tried so eventually I gave up and went back to my old version which at least allows me option 2 above.

Edit
Re option 1, just read their FAQ and it seems:

You should backup and later recover this directory (and all its contens):
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Locktime\NetLimiter\2
If you have installed Windows on different volume than C:\, then use right letter of Windows volume.

Edit
Just in case it's needed, check out on the 'Support' section bottom left hand side.

# NL3Mon Free registration
NetLimiter 3 Monitor free registration
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 09:39:52 PM by oldfogy »

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »

Well.......

Firstly I tried V2 (as it said freeware against one of the versions) but it failed and said incompatible with windows 7.

I'll try V3 tomorrow and come back and let you know how I've got on.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »

That seems strange, even my v1.3 works with XP, Vista and Windows7.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:00 PM »

That seems strange, even my v1.3 works with XP, Vista and Windows7.

Yeah, I didn't notice until afterwards that it doesn't actually list windows 7.
http://www.netlimiter.com/download.php

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »

Good timing, I was just looking and saw this:
Can i install and run NetLimiter on Windows Vista?
Yes, you can run all NetLimiter 2 version on Windows Vista.
To install and run NetLimiter 2 (all versions) properly on Windows Vista, you have to disable User Account Control (UAC).
To disable this feature you have to browse to "Control Panel->User Accounts->Change Security Settings" and uncheck the User Account Control button.
OK it's not Windows7 but might be worth a try, 'UAC' is usually one of the first things I always disable because it either stops or constantley get messages then having to tick box's to allow.

smurfuk

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 02:15:04 PM »

Have you  also considered TBB meter, details here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html . I use it on Windows 7: click the icon on start up to have it show the meter on-screen, you can adjust it under options on the programme (where you can set peak/off peak allowances and alarms); and bring up a useage summary by holding the mouse over "stats" on the displayed meter. The ThinkBroadband forums have a dedicated forum for TBBMeter in case of problems - on one of my PCs it can disappear occasionally - but is usually recovered by deleting from Task Manager active programmes and then restarting - though it usually continues monitoring.

I've used Netlimiter 3 on W7, but although you get the full version free for (I think 7 days) thereafter it gives limited functionality, though under the view menu you can still get a daily use graph  and a current list of programmes with their current real time throughput.

PS If you register on the main ThinkBroadband site, and then register the programme on each PC, if using it on more than one, it will allow you to show aggregated use on the site - it doesn't cover Android (or any other) phones though.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 02:22:36 PM by smurfuk »

anything