Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Do the same chipsets in different routers use same telnet commands?  (Read 5169 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

i.e. - if you have a Broadcom 6348 Netgear and a Broadcom 6348 D-Link, will they still use the same telnet commands?

also, will logins for telnet be the same too>? or do these match the username & password login of the router?

Iam wanting to design my HG612 SNR TWEAK SCRIPT so that it works with other routers, I was hoping that I could get the user too choose a 'chipset' version rather than 'router' version and then ask the user to input their router IP & Login and using that data to login and execute command dependant to the chipset version they chose..

e.g.

I would have "choose router type"

1 - Broadcom 6338, 6348 or 6358

list of all routers with these chipsets here

2 - Broadcom 6362, 6361
     list of all routers with these chipsets here (although this section may come later as no available unlocked routers ..yet)

3 - Broadcom 6368
     list of all routers with this chipset here

the user would enter 1, 2 or 3 and then enter/choose their routers IP Address and login data - then the SNR tweak goes on from there executing the relative command dependant on choices

OR

If each router manufacturer DOES have their own telnet commands then Iam going to have to make a 'router specific' list for user to choose router rather than chipset... a lot more work...but do-able...

thanks
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:48:18 PM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Do the same chipsets in different routers use same telnet commands?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:49:12 AM »

The basic firmware is written by the chip manufacturer (Broadcom in this case), but router manufacturers customise the firmware in various ways. Netgear routers, for example, use 'adslctl' instead of the normal 'adsl', and the HG612 uses 'xdslcmd'. Thomson/Speedtouch/Technicolour hide the Broadcom CLI completely by wrapping it in their own own interface which uses different commands.

But as far as I know, all Broadcom-based routers which offer full access to the Broadcom CLI use the same command parameters for tweaking the SNRM, i.e. <command prefix> configure --snr N. So you only have three varieties of the command to cater for. But in addition you have to allow for the fact that some routers, such as the HG612, require an extra command to be entered after logging into the router, to get to the BusyBox shell with the Broadcom commands.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »

thank Eric :)

yeah, for BCM 6368 I could seperate the HG612 onto its own "option" for users too choose from (for the 'sh' login)

you mention catering fo 3 choices...does that include Thomson/Speedtouch/Technicolor?  or does that make it 4...

adslctl
adsl
xdslctl
thomson commands

also, do you know if (unlike the HG612) you change the IP address and login data of the router, do you use the same IP and login username+pass to get telnet access? or does it remain set too manufacters settings? - if telnet login data was always fixed (per router) then I could possibly "hard-code" it in, but if it changes to whatever the user changes the GUI access settings too then I would need to ask the user to enter that data...... hmm, just thought on I know the answer, DMT tool requires that data so I suppose the answer is YES, telnet login changes to whatever the user changes the router login too...

ok, im getting somewhere now hehe

thanks for your help Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »

you mention catering fo 3 choices...does that include Thomson/Speedtouch/Technicolor?  or does that make it 4...

I wasn't including them, because I'm not at all sure that they include an SNRM tweaking command. But it's so long since I used one that I really don't know.

Regarding the login details, all the routers I've come across (apart from the HG612) use the same login credentials for telnet as for the GUI - if you change it in the GUI, it changes in telnet as well.
  Eric

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:44:27 PM »

I wasn't including them, because I'm not at all sure that they include an SNRM tweaking command. But it's so long since I used one that I really don't know.

Regarding the login details, all the routers I've come across (apart from the HG612) use the same login credentials for telnet as for the GUI - if you change it in the GUI, it changes in telnet as well.

thanks Eric,

I know you can tweak Speedtouch 585v6 SNRM so this would show that it should be possible on those that have telnet access

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »

The answer appears to be negative http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=78248.0;wap2 and same applies to 582N

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »

The answer appears to be negative http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=78248.0;wap2 and same applies to 582N

that is the 585v7 - does it refer to being unable to tweak SNR..? if I recall (from my dslzoneuk.net days) that is correct, but the 585v6 was tweakable... I think it was anyway

see here on kitz
http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/DMTv7.htm

you need firmware 6.4.1.3 (or lower I think) for it too work...firmware 6.2 and above it does not, I knew it was possible

does not work with 585v7, but does with other models, the page seems too suggest these models:
Speedtouch 510v6, 516, 536, 546, 576, 585, 608, 706, 716, 780

I have both a 780 and 585v6 - I can use those for testing purposes
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:14:50 PM by snadge »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 08:10:02 PM »

Also found something that might tell more of Technicolor foibles http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/routerstats_history.txt

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »

thanks renluop   :) - I know its unlikely someone will be using an old speedtouch router, but if its tweakable may aswell have it available in the script for those who might still use one

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »

well... unless I find out what EACH router uses (adsl, adslctl, xdslcmd) I can not automate this script Iam planning, unless I can make the script detect the error and act accordingly - but Bald_Eagle has also brought it too my attention that different routers throw up different wording in the stats, this means the gawk commands will also need to be tailored to each router, that is if I wish to keep it like the current script which shows before and after sync/snrm in a nice neat manner...which would be nice..

it seems to be getting harder and harder as I progress, I dont think Iam going to be able to do this script , OR , if I did it would be limited to just few routers..

maybe I should just make a script with what Ive already got... e.g. Netgear 834GT / 834N and Huawei HG612 (as I have all those) - with help from a friend I could also add D-Link DSL 2640 - I could build on it as time goes by and I get other unlocked routers to try the script with.

anything