Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL Poor, FTTC/VDSL good with same line ?  (Read 2998 times)

AlexS

ADSL Poor, FTTC/VDSL good with same line ?
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:27:19 PM »

Could someone please explain to me how the following could happen ?:
A few years ago both myself and neighbours got ADSL broadband speeds of around 3-3.5Mbps.
Openreach engineer had checked street cab ( 400yds away ) and got 4Mbps on my line between cab and exchange.
He checked actual line length and got 3.8km.
Since then both mine and my neighbours speed has decreased by about 500Kbps per year to the current 1-1.5Mbps.
We share the same telephone pole but my cousin ( same street cab ) on the next street has always got around 3Mbps.
This sounds to me like the cable between my telephone pole and street cab is slowly deteriating whilst my cousin hasn't
suffered in the same way. In other words it's a localised problem.
In the last month my cousin has had BT Infinity installed with the double speed option and now gets approx 76Mbps.
My neighbour has also had BT Infinity installed in the last week and now gets 40Mbps.
If there is a "local" cable issue that is restricting speed with ADSL, how can my neighbour using the same cable now get
40Mbps ?
I've asked other neighbours connected to the same telephone pole what their speeds are and they all quote around 1Mbps or less.
What could be different about VDSL from street cab to property that isn't effected by the issue that is trashing ADSL ?
For reference my current Sky Unlimited LLU ADSL2+ stats are : Downstream 1533 Atten 52 nm 6, upstream 606 Atten 33 nm 15 .
My router is connected to the master socket using a VDSL faceplate and no extensions.
Many Thanks, Alex

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL Poor, FTTC/VDSL good with same line ?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:31:18 PM »

:hmm:  Hmm . . .

The only explanation that I can currently offer is that there is a bad batch of jumpering between the D- & E-sides, within the PCP, for all pairs that are fed from your pole-top DP. As your neighbour has had BT Infinity 2 installed, the existing jumpering for her/his metallic pathway has been replaced with a double set of jumpering to/from the DSLAM in the FTTC via the tie cables.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AlexS

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »

...so the DP ( distribution pair ? ) from the street cab is probably fine, but the connections within the cab
could be corroded ?
That would explain why the speed is gradually getting slower.
Since I can't hear any audio interference on my line and considering how many hoops I'd have to jump
through with Sky support to investigate such a fault, it looks like I have 2 options:
Wait until the broadband drops altogether and then report it to Sky or pay extra for Sky fibre/BT Infinity.
Thanks for your answer.
Cheers Alex.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:49:52 AM »

. . . the DP ( distribution pair ? ) . . .

Half right. DP == distribution point.  ;)

Try as I might, I can't come up with any other scenario to account for the facts that you have described. I will be interested to read any other Kitizen's suggestions . . .
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:29:42 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »

Is your cousin also approximately 400m from the cabinet?

If so, the difference in FTTC speed between your neighbour's & your cousin's connections COULD be due to their chosen packages i.e. one is "up to 80Mb" & the other is "up to" 40Mb.

If they are both "up to" 80 Mb packages, there would definitely appear to be a problem with the D-side cabling between cabinet & DP and/or DP to master socket drop wire.

I f your neighbour & cousin were willing to either unlock his modem (assuminhg it is the Huawei HG612) or obtain a spare one to unlock, they would be able to see the connection's attainable rate from the modem's stats.

If this is just over 40Mb for your neighbour & the distance from the cabinet really is around the same as your cousin's, that again would suggest the same potential problem as mentioned above.

If your neigbour's & your cousin's attainable rates are similar & both are much closer to (possibly higher than) 80Mb, it would suggest the cabling from cabinet to home is actually O.K. & that the gradual ADSL deterioration COULD be corrosion on a whole batch of cabinet connections or that ADSL speeds had possibly gradually deteriorated due to crosstalk as increasing numbers of users were being connected over the years.

FWIW, Attainable rates over FTTC for a cable length of 400m would usually be substantially higher than 40Mb on copper cabling with good physical connections.

AlexS

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 03:32:24 PM »

Hi Bald Eagle, My cousin is closer, perhaps about 300yrs from the cabinet and has opted for BT Infinity 2.
My neighbour tells me he has just gone for the standard FTTC option, so would probably get a similar speed if he also changed
to BT Infinity 2.
It looks like I'll be ordering a Sky upgrade to FTTC this weekend as I can't see the "PCP"  ;) getting re-wired this decade...

Thanks for replying.
Alex

yousaf465

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »

I could suggest rewiring the pair from DP to your faceplate. I might be wrong though.  :)

anything