Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: more GREAT Firefox Addons  (Read 3626 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
more GREAT Firefox Addons
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:14:32 AM »

come across more great add-ons I dont think I could live without...

1) FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) - this is great, backs up everything (bookmarks, settings, cookies, passwords, form fill, extensions, themes etc etc), you can back up the extensions into a single installable XPI file... with this extension one can install firefox on new PC or windows install and then install FEBE and then restore firefox to how you normally have it, or if you have Xmarks and LastPass installed as extensions one can simply install firefox then open the single installable XPI file from within firefox and you get your extensions back and Xmarks will sync you bookmarks and LastPass will sync your passwords/logins etc (only extensions can be backed up into a single installable XPI file).

2) LAST PASS - Keeps all your passwords and form fill info on secure storage, when you visit websites (even after cookie clean out) you are automatically logged into websites...no more typing/remembering.

3) LOCATION BAR ENHANCER - great addon this, it makes the URL's in the awsome bar appear as breadcrumbs, these are clickable too go back to certain pages, also removes slashes and capitalizes first letter of each word to make them more readable, also removes a lot of messy code. It also uses the bar as a meter which fills to show the page loading which is cool too.

4) SIMPLE MAIL - This email app is built right into your firefox web browser, set it too check every X minutes and it will pop up and notice in bottom right with FROM and SUBJECT - one can also create folders and set filters that place emails with certain criteria in these folders...something ive been after for a long time, being an avid forum user I can now have emails from forum A go in the Forum A folder etc etc.. stops the email notification replies i rely so heavily on from messing up my inbox...brill! My only advice would be to read/sort/delete all your mail before using it as it imports all 'read' mails as 'unread' - this is easily fixed once imported - hotmail settings are: pop3.live.com - 995 - SSL/TLS and smtp.live.com - 587 - STARTTLS

5) FIREFOX PRELOADER (Add-On) - This preloads some of firefox into memory at boot making it around twice as quick too load, unlike the old preloader which runs as a standalone program in your tray this actually launches the preloader add-on, it works by dropping a modified firefox shortcut into your startup folder, read instructions on the page, it shaves about 5 seconds from the 10 seconds it usually takes firefox too load on my PC.

of course other add-ons I strongly advise use of are:-

ADBLOCK PLUS -  Ad Blocking
THUMBNAIL ZOOM PLUS -  great for retrieving full size photos without clicking on thumbnails
FIREGESTURES - go back/forward through web pages with a click of the mouse
XMARKS - backs up bookmarks to server, works on multiple browsers and PC's, great compliment to LastPass
DOWNLOAD STATUS BAR - replaces download window with status bar with downloaded items in it
ADD THIS - great for sharing pages with social media and other websites
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 12:18:31 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: more GREAT Firefox Addons
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:01:43 AM »

I've used FEBE for some time now and it is very useful. If like me you have a website which you maintain the HttpFox, Firebug and FireFTP extensions can also be great additions, the first two are very useful for debugging websites and the third for uploading files from within the browser. Also validating pages can be done with Total Validator to ensure pages meet W3C standards.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »

yeah u just can not beat Firefox for functionality..I love it!

ive noticed that newer versions of firefox (Iam on Beta v16) dont seem to suffer from slower web pages because of the extensions, they seem to integrate better.

ive got about 12 extensions installed and with firefox preloader it takes about 5 seconds for FF to load, this is on a slow Pentium system too
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »

some nice addons there will have a look at them...

Though i have been using waterfox lately, and it kinda avoids the need for the preloader...
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

anything