Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How is FTTH Installed?  (Read 14589 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: How is FTTH Installed?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »

That picture of the pole-top fibre manifold is from an area where FTTP is being deployed as an "add-on" to the existing metallic path telephony service. In that area it is as an aerial feed.

Attached below is a section excised from an Openreach document showing how FTTP would be deployed in a totally underground fashion, again for an area that has an existing metallic path telephony service.

The ultimate aim of "fibre only" (no metallic path) exchanges is being trialled at the moment -- I don't have a reference link to hand paw, so perhaps someone else could provide it, please.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:05 AM »

Trial is being proposed for Deddington, Oxfordshire.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »

thank B'Kat

so is it true that fibre is 'shared'..? im probably reading it wrong but it does say (on the PC Pro article)

cables with a dozen fibres feed out to a splitter. There, each fibre is spliced and split out to supply 32 customers

if thats true, how do they keep connections separate? colored light? lol... if thats the case then are you 'sharing bandwidth' to some degree..?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 01:06:58 AM »

Trial is being proposed for Deddington, Oxfordshire.

Ah, yes. Thank you kindly, c6em:)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 01:15:06 AM »

cables with a dozen fibres feed out to a splitter. There, each fibre is spliced and split out to supply 32 customers

if thats true, how do they keep connections separate? colored light? lol... if thats the case then are you 'sharing bandwidth' to some degree..?

Well, at the simplest of levels, yes. Different coloured light has a different frequency and that particular carrier-frequency can be modulated with a number of multiplexed signals . . .

And as for 'sharing the bandwidth', again, yes.

Although I have an overall 'feel' for the system, I am not able to explain it in a clear fashion.  :no:  Perhaps another of our fellow Kitizens would like to help out?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:28:48 AM by burakkucat »

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2012, 06:11:44 PM »

Perhaps this might help explain it......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavelength-division_multiplexing

....Warning: You may lose the will to live half way through this article !

smucat

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2012, 07:28:07 PM »

Oooh, questions, questions, questions :-X

Nice pic of the pole-top fibre, didn't realise the technology was ready to do that. I want one on my DP, now :baby:

So does FTTP/H always do away with the PSTN copper network, i.e. your phone service would operated over the fibre too?

And why the hype about FTTH 'on demand' in already FTTC enabled areas, is that a different method of deployment?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 07:39:06 PM »

On demand (FoD as it's being marketed), had its first installation only recently (25th Oct 2012). It was actually one of our own fibre engineers premises that had it installed. Got to be a perk of the job somewhere, I suppose.

Engineering trials (Phase 1) are continuing until March 2013, with 'Phase 2' (planning, order placements etc) to continue after this.

Smu ..... FTTC only has Fibre connected to the Cab, it still utilises the existing Copper/Ali D-side cable for the 'last mile' to the EU's premises. FoD will see the laying of UG (Underground) Fibre or OH (Overhead) Fibre direct to a DP (Distribution Point) manifold, then into the EU's premises.

HTH. :)

smucat

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 07:51:16 PM »

Sorry, I meant to ask is FoD any different from FTTH?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 08:12:20 PM »

Errm, yes and no. The end product is the same, the delivery method is different.

smucat

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »

Dare I ask >:D How is the delivery method different? :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »

FTTP = If you are lucky enough to live in a FTTP Exchange Enabled area, when you request a conection to Fibre broadband, you get what it says on the tin ........... a fully fibred up connection. From my time 'shadowing' the fibre planners, there are no 'Cab connections' that I'm aware of on FTTP.

FoD = (Caveat - still undergoing 'trials' as previously mooted), means you will have previously only been connected as a FTTC customer. I'm guessing the EU will have to foot 'x' ammount of the additional work in order to 'push' the fibre from the Cab to the EU's premises.

smucat

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2012, 09:03:39 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep, I realise this is stuff is new and probably subject to change, but as b*cat will confirm, I'm most curious ::)

So what we can surmise is that FoD's fibre is run from the nearest FTTC cab and thence in new tubes either U/G or to the pole base and on to the sub (sorry customer). I thought I heard the term 'from the nearest node', but perhaps that is close to the cab anyway? ;)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep, I realise this is stuff is new and probably subject to change, but as b*cat will confirm, I'm most curious ::)

So what we can surmise is that FoD's fibre is run from the nearest FTTC cab and thence in new tubes either U/G or to the pole base and on to the sub (sorry customer). I thought I heard the term 'from the nearest node', but perhaps that is close to the cab anyway? ;)

The term 'Node' covers most aspects of the network, including PCP's, DP's, Cable runs .... etc etc .......

Therefore, if there is an existing 'Fibre loop' nearer to the EU's premises than the actual FTTC Cabinet, then I can't see any reason as to why they couldn't splice into it. I would imagine this situation would be in a minority though ???
Pages: 1 [2]

anything