Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This may be a STUPID question, but..  (Read 15517 times)

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
This may be a STUPID question, but..
« on: October 07, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »

....I'm going to ask it anyway.

I have now been approached by two separate people, who are used to using Microsoft Outlook Express under Windows XP (various flavours). Both of those people, and myself have recently bought new notebook computers which all came with Windows 7 Home (again various flavours), and none of us like the new Windows 7 email program. This got me thinking about whether it would be possible to somehow get each of our existing Outlook Express versions to run under Windows 7. Failing that, does anybody know if it's possible to make the Windows 7 email program work in the same way as the older Microsoft Outlook Express, and make it look more like OE. I suspect the answer will be an emphatic NO, but thought it worth asking anyway.

Your thoughts would be most welcome,

toulouse
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: This may be a STUPID question, but..
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »

I tried all that, but found no way to get it working.

The closest I got was to install full Outlook, but that couldn't use Newsgroups.

In the end, after trying a few different programs I ended up with Thunderbird email.

It wasn't as easy to set up different accounts as Outlook Express, but it's O.K.

I would still go back to Outlook Express if I had the choice though.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »

Thanks for that Bald_Eagle1 - I thought that would probably be the case, so thanks for confirming it for me.

I think that it's a case of what those 2 other people are used to, i.e. Outlook Express - maybe I ought to try and convince them both to move on and adapt to the new program. I have used Windows Live Mail myself, and I also much prefer OE.

TTFN

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 11:56:49 AM »

If you are having to change email client anyway might I suggest taking a look at Thunderbird? I moved to it on XP a while ago and now I use Linux it means I can share my email between XP and Linux on the rare occasions I dual boot this PC. My Laptop runs W7 Home Premium and I run Thunderbird on that and can download all my email from my NAS backup so I have it all accessible from W7 as well, although I dont bother to keep it in sync all the time but it has been very handy when my main PC had to go for repair.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »

none of us like the new Windows 7 email program.
Er, excuse the silly question, but WHAT program?
Windows 7 does NOT include an email client (unlike Vista).  :no:

If you have chosen to use one it was either "pre-loaded" by your hardware supplier or you chose and installed it yourself.  ???

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »

OE is/was a nightmare in terms of keeping backups as it seems to store the various message, address books etc in different obscure places, multiple different files and anyway uses a propietry storage format.

Personally I ditched OE when I moved from Win98 to WinXP and now use MSOutlook.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »

Simples ..... dump the lot and move to an Apple i-Mac ...... the best of the best regarding OS. ;)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »

Not sure how relevant that is to the initial question - have you managed to get Outlook Express working on a Mac (not using any Windows emulation)?  :graduate:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »

Its relevancy is in the answer .....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 12:18:21 AM »

I tried all that, but found no way to get it working.
The closest I got was to install full Outlook, but that couldn't use Newsgroups.
In the end, after trying a few different programs I ended up with Thunderbird email.
It wasn't as easy to set up different accounts as Outlook Express, but it's O.K.
I would still go back to Outlook Express if I had the choice though.

I found myself in exactly the same boat, and although I installed Thunderbird, I ended up sticking with Outlook.   
Id also go back to OE its much more lightweight, its just a shame that it was discontinued.

>>> OE is/was a nightmare in terms of keeping backups

Too late for you now but I used to use a really nice little prog called OE Backup that took care of everything very nicely.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 10:48:46 AM »

Just a quick update on this topic for those who may be interested......

....when I started this topic, I had been approached by one of my neighbours whose comment was that "I can't get my email working, could you please help me". Ok, I thought, I can certainly try. When I went to this ladys flat, it turned out that she had just bought a new Toshiba laptop from PCWorld, after putting her old laptop in for a cleanup or something. She had been scammed by someone who phoned her up and said that her computer had been compromised, and that the guy on the phone could fix it if she went to the local Western Union office and made a payment of £150 - WARNING WILL ROBINSON, WARNING !!!!! Anyway apparently, she made the payment and then saw something on TV about this scam, so then decided to take the laptop to PCWorld to get it cleaned up. On Saturday, when I went to try and help her, she had the new Tosh laptop up and running, but was unable to get any incoming emails - there were 8 waiting to be downloaded, but the download timed out before they were delivered, Error 0x800CCC0F. I tried to adjust the 'server timeout' just in case the server at mail.btinternet.com was busy, but this didn't work, and I have since found out that in Outlook Express there is supposed to be a logging facility which can be used to troubleshoot and debug server timeout problems. I seriously suspect, that the server is failing to authenticate her properly, probably because the sign in details are not correct, but I only have the information that she has given me, which definitely does not work. I spent several hours, yesterday trying to get this issue resolved for her, but I am now fairly certain that for some reason (not known at present) she is not getting authorised correctly and is therefore prevented from receiving the emails that are waiting for her on the btinternet.com mail server. I also installed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for her, and that quarantined two items which I think may have been related to the scamming that she received.  These items were removed by Malwarebytes, after running a scan.

So, my new question for now is - does anyone know where to find this Outlook Express logging file or information, which might help me confirm exactly what her problem is ?

As previously mentioned, both SWMBO and myself have also recently purchased notebook computers with Windows 7 Home (Basic(SWMBO) & Premium(toulouse)) preinstalled. The email program provided on both of these machines appears to be Windows Live Mail, and neither SWMBO or me like that program, so at some point I will try Thunderbird as suggested by several of you on here.

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »

>> She had been scammed by someone who phoned her up and said that her computer had been compromised

That scam makes me so mad, preying on the elderly  >:(

>>  does anyone know where to find this Outlook Express logging file or information

Unfortunately OE just wont work with Win 7 and is incompatible.   Many people have tried to find a way, but it just fails and wont run :(

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:48:25 AM »

The solution to the email problem is to use 'Windows Mail' don't make the mistake of confusing the name with 'winmail' or windows live mail.

There is only one slight difference which I can't honestly remember what it is now, as it was a long time ago when I wrote/copied/ or altered the tutorial below, but it works and is just to much like OE.

I even drag and drop files from OE into Windows Mail and Visa versa so again fully compatible with each other.

Just remembered the difference, there is no address book on the bottom left corner, you have to access it from the usual menu or toolbar.

Instructions for installing a copy of Windows Mail from a Vista PC on a PC running Windows 7,
although there might be problems setting it as the "default" if there are other email programs installed in 7, such as MS Outlook.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/5481-windows-mail.html

General Notes

1. When Windows Mail is first run it should prompt to set Windows Mail as default.
   If there are any problems setting it as default the following post may help here.
   In association with this post, it may help to run the attachment SetWinMailDefault.zip.

2. In some environments, having Windows Live Mail installed may cause conflicts, so it may be necessary to remove it.
   "Go to "Uninstall or change a program" then find the file called "Windows Live Essentials" once selected you will notice
   on the header bar above is a icon for "CHANGE" once this is selected you will then be presented with a list of
   Windows Live tools that can be changed or removed/deleted, from here you can chose remove/delete.

Here's How:

1. Download and run the attachment: WinMailEdit.zip.

Warning
   It is critical to do this before carrying out steps (3) & (4).
   This auto exe file edits the registry to allow .eml files to be opened on the desktop,
   removes the WinMail splash screen at start-up and resolves various conflicts.

2. Remove WinMail.exe attributes to view hidden files.

A) Open: Start Menu ==> All Programs ==> Accessories ==> Run.

B) Type the following code exactly as shown, (or highlight, copy and paste it), into the Run Command box; and then click "OK":

Code:
        attrib -s -h "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe"

3. In Windows Mail folder, take full control of the file "msoe.dll" as follows.

Warning
        If running 64bit Windows 7, before carrying out this step, read "Footnote 3" below.

A) Download and install Take Ownership to add it.
             http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

B) Open: Start Orb => Computer => C: Drive => Program Files => Windows Mail folder => Right click: "msoe.dll" file => In drop down menu click: Take Ownership.

*Note 1: If WinMail.exe file is not visible in Windows Mail folder, then apply "Footnote 4" below.

*Note 2: Before proceeding to Step 4, copy and save "msoe.dll" file as back-up for safety.

4. Download and save the appropriate Vista Windows Mail "msoe.dll" file from the following attachments:

* 32bit msoe.dll:

download

* 64bit msoe.dll:

download

A) Open Windows Mail Folder in Windows 7 Program files ==> Paste the Vista "msoe.dll" into it, replacing the existing Windows 7 "msoe.dll".

*Note: If it will not allow the paste, take full control of the Windows 7 "msoe.dll" manually as per "Footnote 1" below, and then paste.

B) Right click: WinMail.exe ==> Send to desktop as a shortcut.

*Note: If email .eml files still cannot be opened on the desktop, it may be necessary to manually edit the registry as per "Footnote 2"

5. To enable Windows Calendar in Windows Mail.

Go to tutorial in this forum.

6. To import Contacts, Accounts, Folders & Emails.

From Vista to Windows 7, go to this post.

Note
Footnotes

1. Manually take full control of files.

* Right click the file "msoe.dll" ==> Properties ==> Security Tab ==> Advanced ==> Owner Tab ==> Edit ==> Highlight User Name ==> Apply ==> OK ==> OK
    * Under "Security Tab" click: Edit ==> Under "Group or user names", the first entry is highlighted.
    * Under "Permissions for System", tick: "Full Control" ==> Apply ==> Do the same for every entry ==> OK ==> Close.
      *Note: If the option to edit the entries under "Group or user names" is grayed out, take the following steps:
    * Under "Security" tab click: "Advanced" ==> "Change Permissions" ==> Untick: "Include inheritable permissions from this objects parents" ==> Click: "Add" in the pop-up window ==> Apply ==> OK.
    * Return to the security tab and edit to grant full control as shown above.

2. Manually edit the following registry key if SP1 is installed.

* Start Menu ==> All Programs ==> Accessories ==> Run ==> Type: Regedit ==> OK
    * Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER ==> Software ==> Classes ==> eml_auto_file ==> shell ==> open ==> command
    * Double click: Default (in right pane) ==> Value Data ==> Completely replace by copying and pasting the following exactly as shown:
    * "C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\winmail.exe" /eml:%1

3. For 64bit Windows 7 Installations.

In 64bit Windows 7 installations there are two sets of program files . It is essential to copy and paste the 64bit Vista Windows Mail file "msoe.dll" into the Windows Mail folder in the normal Program Files. The same applies when importing 64bit Windows Calendar - See Step 5.

Do NOT import it to the 32bit Windows Mail folder in Program Files(x86). Click on picture below to expand and see location of program files.

Windows Mail-program-20files-x86-.png

4. Manually show hidden files

* Go to: Start Orb ==> Computer ==> C: Drive ==> Program Files ==> Open: Windows Mail ==> Top Task Bar ==> Tools ==> Drop down menu ==> Folder Options ==> View Tab
    * Dot: Show hidden files, folders...
    * Untick: Hide empty drives... Hide extensions... Hide protected operating...
    * In response to the warning click: Yes ==> Apply ==> OK.
    * After all the steps are done, restore default view settings.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 12:55:30 AM by oldfogy »

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »

Hey, thanks for that very informative response oldfogy.

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 01:17:42 PM »

To be honest I didn't remember it being as long winded as that write up, or did I elaborate to try and make it a bit more foll-proof?
I don't know, but it works and I have been using it for nearly 2 years now without any problems.

Like I said, everything is compatible with OE so no need to start creating new accounts etc etc, if you already have them, then just use Outlook Expresses 'for accounts' Import / Export feature and the similar setting with all the saved mail and folders, then again Import with Windows Mail.
Pages: [1] 2

anything