Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Switching phone provider question  (Read 15286 times)

Ixel

• Kitizen
Switching phone provider question
« on: October 06, 2012, 10:37:05 PM »

Hi,
I'm considering switching from BT to a cheaper provider such as Yourcalls.net. I had two questions though.

1) Will switching my phone service have any effect on my BT Business Infinity service?
2) Should I contact BT first and see if I can get a phone package deal out of them to keep me, before just switching (if possible, assuming question #1 isn't a problem)?

I currently pay for line rental monthly and anytime calls, no current discounts and I'm way beyond the original contract length.

Thanks in advance.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Switching phone provider question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »

Phone BT retentions and see what they will offer you...You do have the option of paying a year upfront (£129 at present)

I paid a years rental in advance in January(it was £120 then) and also got free evening and weekend calls..Which save me over £90 a year

Monthly line rental £14.60 x 12 =£175.20

evening and weekend call plan £3.15 x 12=37.80

Total cost £213...saving me £93...much better return than sticking £120 in the bank for a year

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

Phone BT retentions and see what they will offer you...You do have the option of paying a year upfront (£129 at present)

I paid a years rental in advance in January(it was £120 then) and also got free evening and weekend calls..Which save me over £90 a year

Total cost £213...saving me £93...much better return than sticking £120 in the bank for a year

I see, thanks for the advice :). Before I go and find the number and call them, does this go through to an international based call center, or UK?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »

I see, thanks for the advice :). Before I go and find the number and call them, does this go through to an international based call center, or UK?

I think it will be via the international number..but I think there is an option 'If you're thinking of leaving BT' press ......

I would personally leave calling them until UK office hours are operational,ie from 9am tomorrow,that way you will get to speak to a member of staff based in the UK

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 05:21:24 PM »

UncleUB
Thanks for that. I had assumed I had optimised my payments to BT but the yearly rental had passed me by. In my last bill they were also pushing their new Unlimited Anytime Plan Plus which gives all uk calls free and 50% off calls to mobiles for £8 a month. So I've gone for that too. Should save a bit. Thanks
Tony

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 10:41:11 PM »

YW Tony  :)

Also if anyone didn't already know there is BT basic line rental(you have to be on certain benefits to qualify) which is £14.40 a quarter line rental,which include £4.50's worth of calls.Not much I agree but if you are a light user its quite a saving.

*It is increasing slightly in Jan 2013 to £14.85*

http://www.bt.com/includingyou/other-products-services-bt-basic.html?s_cid=con_FURL_calls_basic

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »

Just a follow up to anyone who might be interested.

Phoned the 'stopping your service' department, but from what I gathered from the call I've only gained line rental saver, I wasn't offered a discount on the anytime call package, and it has renewed for another 12 months due to line rental saver apparently.

The guy on the phone mentioned something about the anytime package being £6 a month but it's £4.90 at the moment and will go up to £5 something next year? I don't know what that £6 figure was about, but given I only got offered a line rental discount (at least from what I gather from the call, in the end I just accepted since I was saving something at least with line rental saver).

Also, he said something about I have 300 texts with my package? It's not a mobile plan though :s, a little confusing but so long as the line rental saver is applied and anytime is the same that'll do.

EDIT: Just noticed on my order that it's line rental saver, so yeah I think I'm right. Only one problem, my contact details (more specifically preferable phone number and mobile number) are incorrect. I can't change them online for some reason, so should I ring BT (perhaps sales?) and ask them if they can correct this for me?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:14:07 AM by Ixel »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »

BT Calling plans

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=31674

There is a clickable link on the page that tells you how much they will be from Jan 2013.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »

Thanks, I read that page recently. I still don't know what this guy was saying £6 for, or the text messages, very strange. I wonder if he was trying to confuse me. Well I'll be saving money with line rental saver, guess I was hoping for too much to get a small discount on the call package lol.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 03:43:17 PM »

I would have been inclined to push them for a reduction or threatened to take your business elsewhere..

Plenty of good info on Martin Lewis MSE site...I have it bookmarked and also have there newsletter to my inbox..Being a Yorkshireman I am always looking to save money  ;)  ;D

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/home-phone-calls#plinerentalsaver

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »

I see, thanks. Well I have two choices, I talk to them again before the 7 day cooling off period is up or I have line rental saver for 12 months and then become more pushy next year when it's up. Given the order is already in the system and payment should have been taken off my card I'm inclined to think that it's best to leave it for 12 months now, ringing them again might confuse matters and cause me to pay line rental saver twice (if they cancel, refund the order then charge again for a new order). What do you think?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »

Well if you are happy enough it might be worth leaving it now,but come next time do your homework a month or two before your contract expires,then you have a bit of ammunition when you try negotiating.  :)