Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Vista or xp  (Read 25646 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Re: Vista or xp
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2008, 08:52:47 PM »

Have new laptop with Vista Home basic.  I would concur with points made by old fogy that items are difficult to find.  Alot of it seems change for the sake of change e.g. display settings in control panel in XP has now moved to personal settings in Vista, why?  If ain't broke don't fix it.

Apart from the difficulty in finding some items and moving things around on a whim, I get along with Vista reasonalby well, although I only use for office use and internet, no gaming or similar.  Doesn't seem to offer any great advantages over XP.

gom

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Vista or xp
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2008, 09:00:09 PM »

Since I had some xmas money and things seemed in order I have ordered a Mac Mini with Mac OS X Leopard.

Firstly I love the design of the machine, being low power, queit and portable, everything my desktop PC isn't.

Having looked at some of the many websites and browsing Apple I do like the user interface for OS X. It certainly looks very smart and easy to use. Certainly looks far more appealing than Vista on various levels yet it is equally easy to use and graphically compelling.

In the past I have looked at Linux and didn't get on very well. Examples include getting wireless connections to work and generally understanding it. I was certainly lost and out of my depth, and this was with Ubuntu. Nor was I ever prepared to make an effort to get to know it when the advantages seemed so few.

Tbh the main reason I use a Windows desktop PC is for my games; all of which are DirectX 8/9 as well as all the software I bought or is Windows only (Office 2003, PagePlus, Photoshop Elements, Nero, 4oD, WS_FTP, EditPlus, RealVNC, Live Messenger etc)

I dont intend to convert as such but switch between the two. If I "adapt" well and get on OK and can find some equivilant software I might use the Apple most of the time and the PC only for games.

The reasons for buying one... the Mac Mini is a great idea with plenty of potential, M$ is making life difficult for XP users, especially since Vista and the future "looks bleak" for XP and M$ software so to speak - all this horrid "Vista-izing".

I am hoping the Mac Mini will show up next week and I will let you know how I get on. It should be interesting as to date I have not been interested in alternative platforms.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 09:03:09 PM by soms »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

anything