Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Vista or xp  (Read 25602 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Vista or xp
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 06:20:50 PM »

I notice that report states  "The XP option is available only to US customers"..  but the UK site also offers Vista on several of their machines too.
You mean XP? Yeah its available, dunno why they're saying its US only - maybe on those particular models, who knows?!
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 08:12:16 PM »

oops yep sorry typo - ill change it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2007, 05:13:08 AM »

Most businesses will not adopt vista until server 2008 is running smoothly and after SP1.

In this months PC Pro they said that XP SP3 had improved benchmark results by 10-20% and that Vista SP1 did nothing performance wise. They also said:

Unless microsoft believes in marketing suicide they will not release XP SP3 until after vista SP1

Which to me says everything!

I also have got my XP booting in under 3secs(after post). Removing event logging service made the biggest difference.

James
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 05:33:57 AM by jabns »

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2007, 11:15:33 AM »

I doubt they'll even adopt it then James. Vista is dead in the water in the business market as it offers NOTHING to businesses other than increased hardware/training costs. Hard enough finding businesses that are interested in "upgrading" to Office2007 never mind Vista.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Vista or XP
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2007, 02:06:58 AM »

Just for what it's worth.
Firstly my original comment still stands (I still hate Vista)

Unfortunately one of my neighbours/friends brought some laptops for her daughters as Christmas presents.
This now makes "1 XP Desktop, 2 XP Laptops and 2 Vista Laptops.

Since Christmas I seem to have spent that much time on the Vista machines setting things up that by now I should be able to call myself pretty efficient with Vista, but I'm not going to.
Why, well to be honest, they are such a pain trying to navigate around.
IE: I created a folder (as I usually do to store my download files or backups).
But trying to find and access the folder again was almost impossible because I could not find it. Eventually I did find it, but it was by accident when doing something else.

One of todays saga's was Defrag, I eventually found where it was hidden, which was about 4/5 folders deep from the start menu. With running Defrag there is absolutely no indication of how much the HDD is fragged or how long it might take, no % indication, no nothing, so eventually left it running for them to turn off when it finished.

It's almost as if it's been designed so that the everyday person can't access anything except their normal folder from the start menu.

Also I could not find any easy way of removing "all but the most recent Re-store points" unless I disabled system re-store and then re-enabled it, at least with XP when doing a disc clean from within Explorer/My Computer the option is there straight-away.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 08:22:12 AM »

the upstairs machine i use for games was duel booting xp and vista but over the last week xp has 'had a few problems' and i'm gonna have to reinstall it so i'm only using vista on that machine.

i stuck another gig of memory in it and the games using dx10 look cracking and play faultlessly.

saying that last night i was un-raring a 6 gig file, transfering a biggy from the mce machine and browsing while updating a driver and it threw a paddy and locked up.  i left it while i went for a shower and it seemed to have retrieved its dummy and was ticking along nicely when i got back.

as you said OF, it doesnt let you know when its doin something or how long its gonna be.  and as for the 'calculating time' when copying files is a joke !
Paul

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »

Hi, providing it is scheduled, I believe the Vista defrag now runs automatically.
It can also be run from the command line which may give more detail.
More information here if interested.
http://www.thegline.com/windows/2006/11/about-vista-defrags-sudden-los.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,134986-page,1-c,wordprocessing/article.html

exo

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 07:18:43 PM »

I ran dual boot for a few months on a new PC i bought but eventually decided to start fresh XP only with RAID 1 mirroring.

M$ claim that on a high spec machine Vista will out perform XP. Indeed Vista performed well, but XP runs even better.

Also I dislike the clutter added to Vista, so many different windows and "centers" to perform the simpleist of operations.
The new "streamlined" interface changes are just ridiculous and some of my hardware and software didnt work.

I agree that it is just stupid how things like the Disk Defrag is so dumbed down - its just pathetic, and my copy of Diskeeper 10 wouldn't run on it.

For the time being i will stick with XP SP2 with IE6 (though I only use it for M$ sites). No doubt SP3 will force us to use IE7 and WMP11 which look stupidly out of place and are heavy rain poor to use.

Of course ultimately no doubt I will end up using Vista, either as M$ make life more and difficult or continue to "Vista-ize" (note U$ spelling) XP. Unfortunately Linux is to much hassle for me as someone who knows Windows 9x, 2k, XP fairly well.

Perhaps a move to something like a Mac-mini will eventually be in order?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:20:54 PM by soms »

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2007, 07:31:22 PM »

Perhaps a move to something like a Mac-mini will eventually be in order?

Funnily enough I've been thinking that my next PC purchase may well be a Mac mini!! And for anyone that's known me a while, you would not expect me to say that!
Chris

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »

You fancy Apple's version of *nix then Chris? I find the number of updates they've had to issue for it extremely worrying compared to standard Linux distros :(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »

I suppose even for all our my gripes and groans with regards to Vista, as said earlier eventually we may well be converted over to it.
But at this moment in time, it's still going to be a long way off, especially with my recent dealings with it.

However, maybe it's time to create a Vista thread instead of placing Vista along with all the other Windows topics?
(Might save someone a lot of time and trouble in the future) when it becomes inevitable ?

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2007, 08:18:16 PM »

I think perhaps a Vista tips thread would be useful for some - your recent tips would be a good start.

I don't think I will be "converted" to it. It offers nothing compelling other than DirectX 10 which CAN be back-ported to XP. If I ever get back into gaming then a console will be my choice now. Clare plays LOTRO but frankly any MMORPG maker is going to have to be bribed (heavily) by MS to make a game DX10 only.

Vista is a disaster.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2007, 10:10:53 PM »

>> I think perhaps a Vista tips thread would be useful for some - your recent tips would be a good start.

Funny enough - when reading through your tips (thank you for doing those OF)... the thought also crossed my mind too.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Vista or XP
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2007, 10:48:59 PM »

Funny enough - when reading through your tips (thank you for doing those OF)... the thought also crossed my mind too.

What more can one say, except, "Great minds think alike"  :drunk:

maxping

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »

Having used a XP PC for a long time  and now trying to get used to a Vista operated Laptop i can honestly say get XP if you can,i have got used to it now but given the option i would have chosen a XP laptop instead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything