Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Vista or xp  (Read 25608 times)

Ratae

Re: Vista or xp
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »

Ratae, in that case build your own and install Linux, then neither PCW or MS will get an halfpenny of your money. :)

Floyd.....In answer to your suggestion.
1/.....I have enough to do without building computers! Also I've spent the last 'god only knows how many' years..building>assembling>making>designing>inspecting things and I'm heartily sick of it! I'm now retired which to me means doing only what I now enjoy!

2/.....I like XP!!!!    :)

ratae
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »

>> I like XP!!!!

I guess it takes all types :linux:
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2007, 04:52:12 PM »

I like Vista, :) Still saying that the OS I had up to march this year was windows ME.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2007, 05:00:10 PM »

ME was the pits of MS operating systems, tho apparently 2000 is considered to be the best of the pre-XP systems.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2007, 12:22:08 AM »

>> ME was the pits of MS operating systems

Never had any problems with it - yeah I know some slated it - but for me at least it fixed some problems I was seeing with 98.

I can remember though getting an OEM version of it - not liking it that much and then rolling back to 98.   Which lasted for about a week and I then realised that ME was faster at some things - particularly so at say defrag.   So I put ME back on - and actually liked it.

Vista though - still need to get to grips with that :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2007, 12:37:26 AM »

Vista though - still need to get to grips with that :(

I don't care if I never do... but erm.. don't quote me on that in 6 months time :P
Chris

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 07:20:15 AM »

Building your own laptop isn't something I'd recommend ;)

The laptop I bought this summer came with XP. It was also sold with Vista. The Vista version was £95 cheaper. A common-sense viewpoint is that means XP is better :P

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 10:23:04 PM »

Dell will still sell you a PC with XP on it.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 10:43:35 PM »

Hi stevie, welcome to the forum. Good for Dell.

We have Dell gear at work and I asked the IT bod whether we would be sticking with XP. He said we'd be going over to Vista late in 2008. I was surprised!

stevie

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 10:58:59 PM »

Thanks for the welcome.

Heres an article from The Register, its a bit old from April this year, but the interesting bit is the last line, seems there won`t be anymore XP PCs after January 2008 or at least only those already built by then. I had to laugh at the "Latest & Greatest Technology bit".... ::)

Dell offers XP again amidst Vista complaints

Users ask to party like its 2001
By Austin Modine in Mountain View
Published Friday 20th April 2007 22:59 GMT

Dell is to once again offer Windows XP on new systems, responding to online customer complaints. The decision reverses a Vista-only policy the PC seller has moved to since the release of Microsoft's latest OS. The move is a reaction to online complaints at Dell's recently-launched Ideastorm website.

At Ideastorm, users can create or vote on suggestions to the company (in the courteous and thoughtful manner the internet is known for). Most of the complaints on the site regard a lack of OS options.

The most popular Vista-phobic post and the one that got the company's attention is "Dont [sic] eliminate XP just yet" which received 12,228 supporting "points." (The scoring process on the site is extremely convoluted. According to the site, each vote bumps the score by 10 points. This would mean either there's something else unsaid in the woodwork, or there's 1,222 and eight tenths of a person who wants XP. On an slightly unrelated note, a post asking for Linux support is the most popular with 125,126 votes.)

Dell manager Lionel Menchaca noted the complaint on his Dell blog and announced customers can now purchases XP Home or Pro on certain Dimension desktops and Inspiron notebooks.

The models are: Dimension E520 and E521 desktops, and Inspiron 1501, E1405, E1505, and E1705 notebooks

The XP option is available only to US customers.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is showing its poker face regarding the development.

"Dell is responding appropriately to a small minority of customers that had this specific request," Microsoft product manager Michael Burk said in a statement. "But, as they have said before, the vast majority of consumers want the latest and greatest technology, and that includes Windows Vista."

Manufacturers will only be able to pre-install XP on systems until Jan. 31, 2008 when Microsoft will force them to switch no matter what internet denizens ask for. ®

Source.... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/20/dell_offers_xp_again/

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2007, 11:10:04 AM »

Using XP - I actually paid for it  :'(.

Must admit I quite like it, esp. with 2 Gb RAM and running in classic interface.

Until I got this new(er) PC I was using ME.  I liked it a lot and had not one single problem with it.  You just have to take out the garbage like System Restore etc.  I ended up preferring it to 98SE.

I would go back to ME like a shot, but there are too many hardware issues involved (too much RAM, can't get drivers etc).

Awaiting XP SP3 (real soon now  ;)) then will slipstream a new XP CD and take out most of the rubbish using nLite.

Vista - not likely, I'd rather use the dreaded L***x.

Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 11:16:13 AM »

Hi stevie. A Dell lappie wouldn't be my first choice although they may be better these days ;) Dell are selling through the channel now too so I assume they're hurting rather badly (financially) if they've dropped the sacred "We only sell direct" mantra?

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/12/06/dell_channel/

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 01:12:47 PM »

Well I have had 3 Dell desktops in the last 12 years and I must say I can,t say much to fault them.My latest one which I bought in April had a faulty hard drive.They changed the complete desktop tower unit without question.Like any bit of kit you can be un lucky and have problems.  :)

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »

Oh the desktops are fine. The laptops might be the same now for all I know :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »

I notice that report states  "The XP option is available only to US customers"..  but the UK site also offers XP on several of their machines too.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 08:12:35 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4