Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Vista or xp  (Read 25600 times)

paul-49

Vista or xp
« on: December 02, 2007, 07:40:54 AM »

I know this might have been asked a million times,
I am off work in a weeks time for 10 days, now the PC getting a bit slow(not hardware) it really needs a format+reinstall,so thought should I put XP back on or give vista a try out, I have tried vista once before(don't ask where I go it from) was not that impressed with it to be honest,
but saying that I could not get a driver for my sound card or graphics card, so it was in 800x600 mode and 4.3 aswell(my monitor is a widescreen)
my scanner did not work and had trouble with the printer, that was 4 months ago, the drivers might have been updated now,
like I said my PC can run vista without a problem(dual core cpu, 2GB ddr2 memory and so on)

do I stay with XP
or give vista another go?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 12:39:17 PM by paul-49 »

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Re: Vista or xp
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »

hi paul

vista has its pro's and con's and it seems to be down to the individual which one they prefer.  i hadnt made my mind up when i reinstalled everything so i installed xp, then installed vista in a dual boot config and now use both equally for various tasks.

works for me !

Paul

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:10:06 AM »

Personally I'd stick with XP.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:48:32 AM »

I'd be inclined to give Vista a miss too - unless you are a gamer and there are actually any DX10-only games?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 01:02:39 PM »

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »

Hi, Vista, whilst visually impressive if you have the hardware, is not such a radical move forward . With many driver and compatibility issues,  it just strikes me as a rather rushed o/s and not quite what we were promised or expected.
I think I will stick with XP until the next release from MS, which should be better.
I hope MS take note of the poor sales of Vista. I thought the cost of Vista in the UK was taking the mick.

For various reasons, I reformatted and reinstalled my XP after about 2 years of use. I read somewhere that a repair install of XP is almost as good as a clean install. Maybe worth bearing in mind if your current problems are not to severe.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

exo

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 03:30:22 AM »

I read somewhere that a repair install of XP is almost as good as a clean install.

The main problem with a repair is that it will only repair the OS, it will not remove the debris or registry entries or the variouse tweaks that will have built-up over time with adding and removing software etc.

I think the dual boot idea is a good idea, as at least you can play and investigate it's features, or lack of, depending on which version you install.
Not forgetting that it had a bad report when using copied music and movies. (At least in it's earlier days that is).

Personally I like to carry out a format and re-install at least once a year, the initial result is usually fantastic, mainly because I am always trying and removing programs and although I use Ghost to re-Ghost the PC, it is surprising how much still gets left behind over-time.

Just found this little snippit, although I have not read all of it, it may be another reason to stay with XP.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071126/tc_nf/56872
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:19:08 AM by oldfogy »

paul-49

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 07:49:39 AM »

Thanks for your replys, looks like staying with XP is the way to go for now, but liking the idea of dual boot, might give that a go, it be like the best of both worlds

Paul

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 12:12:24 PM »

Xp all the way! :)

maxping

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 07:27:51 PM »

Xp all the way! :)

I would also recommend XP, if the rumours are to be believed Windows 7 due out in 2010 will allow XP users to upgrade but will not let Vista users upgrade.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 10:38:21 PM »

... if the rumours are to be believed Windows 7 due out in 2010 will allow XP users to upgrade but will not let Vista users upgrade.

I can't see that happening somehow... I could see that it might be the other way around, but it would be silly not to let Vista users upgrade.

Or do they think there aren't going to be enough Vista users to make it worthwhile coding the upgrade path :lol:
Chris

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 08:56:22 AM »

For goodness sake don't post your preferences for XP on the Dark Side.
(And don't let moggy3 in here either!)

Personally, I think that MS has produced another 'disaster' like they did with ME. I have no plans to replace XP with Vista apart from on a play machine.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »

I think the name of the link spells out the theme of this little article.  :lol:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/windows/microsoft-kills-off-vista-anti+piracy-kill-switch-329603.php

Ratae

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 12:33:55 PM »

I was in PCW (damned if I know why) only last weekend looking at the new lappies! An assistant came to me and asked if she could help (when the shock wore off) I asked if any of the new 'puters came with XP as I didn't want Vista! I was told that If I wanted one with XP I would need to get one custom built! So! if I do decide to get a new one soon, that will be the way I'll go! What the hell happened to the customer is always right????? :(
If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 01:34:22 PM »

Ratae, in that case build your own and install Linux, then neither PCW or MS will get an halfpenny of your money. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4