Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Catch 22 SMTP Servers  (Read 4022 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Catch 22 SMTP Servers
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:16:16 PM »

With my daughter at the private run halls (better than the uni halls  ;)) for one week now I have been trying to resolve a problem with there internet providers 'MNET'.
She uses 'Thunderbird' and is set up for our ISP at home 'Eclipse' and uses port 25, SMTP.eclipse.co.uk , but taking the laptop to the halls I could see on the first day setting up the internet connection in her room that it was not sending emails (Only web emails work ).
I contacted eclipse and they only support smtp from our home connection  >:D also contacted mnet who say "We do not provide SMTP relay or hosting within the provided network !" >:D

What can I do ?.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Catch 22 SMTP Servers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »

She may be able to use some other server for SMTP.

For example I still use my old plusnet email, but plusnet SMTP wont work because Im not on their network.  Instead I use my web hosts SMTP to send mail from the PN email addy.

Does she have a uni email address, if so she may be able to use the university SMTP server.  Sorry just noticed you said MNET doesnt.

PS
gmail offers a portable SMTP server if she has a gmail account:-
http://lifehacker.com/111166/how-to-use-gmail-as-your-smtp-server
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 03:38:44 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 04:00:20 PM »

Yes 'gmail' may be an answer (will have to set one up for her) !.
The principal should work as I have been playing about with one of my Thunderbird settings using my 'hotmail' smtp server instead of eclipse one.

I did think about setting up a Linux smtp server on the laptop but they say "or hosting within the provided network"
There is a uni building across the road from her room and we can pick up the wifi but it did not seem strong enough to connect.

Edit..
Just seen this is post.. "Google mail can be used as an outgoing email server but the mail headers will reflect this, so it is not an ideal solution."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:06:37 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:38:33 PM »

Theres nothing much you can do about gmail showing in the headers since its been sent through their servers. Mine does the same, and shows my host server, but people dont usually look at the headers.  Ive been using this method for my PN mail for 4yrs and no-ones noticed or said anything.   I certainly dont go looking at email headers for mail I received, unless theres something odd about the email. Most people only look at the From field which is displayed in the mail client.

The following may help so that people know its come from her isp mail address and not gmail shown in the From field.

Comment by Irvin, on 19-Sep-2008 00:59 , user id: )

@Alan

Open Google mail and go to Settings, Accounts. Add your "regular" email address under "Send mail as:" and make it the Default. Then click the radio button next to "Always reply from my default address". Job done"!

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/tonyhughes/599

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »

Theres another alternative here which jid used (iirc he's at uni) with a domain name he has, but no mail server.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,7209.msg153177/topicseen.html#msg153177

I dont know much about it though :/
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »

Did a bit of a test with some of my email accounts last night, I set up a 'gmail' account with a smtp/server type user name  ;).
Then used it on two of my eclipse email accounts in 'Thunderbird' setting up a new smtp outgoing account with 'smtp.gmail.com' .
Gmail needs a  STARTTLS command first (it will ask for your gmail username and password), so you have to set that as well and 'port 587'

You have to make sure you also fill in the 'Return-to Address' else the mail on return goes the gmail email account instead of my eclipse email account.

I also have to get the 'email home' function in Luckybackup working and I have the chap who developed it working on that.
 Edit... I have successfully got Luckybackup to send emails to me via the Gmails smtp servers. ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 11:17:59 PM by tickmike »

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:18:24 PM »

I made the changes on my daughters laptop at uni tonight (Via Teamviewer) to the SMTP settings and now the emails send again and also 'email reports to home' work again in 'Luckybackup'  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 12:23:57 PM »

Thanks for the update mike,

Glad you got it sorted :)
-----

anything