News:

Author Topic: CentOS  (Read 4538 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
CentOS
« on: October 04, 2012, 12:37:33 AM »

Anybody tried/use CentOS ?.  www.centos.org
I'm looking at it to use as a new File/Backup server.
I have tried both the 'net install' disk and the 'small iso' downloads, on one test machine I have the 'desktop' version and the other one is as a file server.
More test to do.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: CentOS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »

Anybody tried/use CentOS ?.  www.centos.org
I'm looking at it to use as a new File/Backup server.

^-^  Ahem. Cough!. Pesky fur-balls.

Just between us, someone close by is a CentOS forum moderator even though he uses the upstream product, Red Hat Enterprise Linux on his laptop computer . . .  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »

Just between us, someone close by is a CentOS forum moderator even though he uses the upstream product, Red Hat Enterprise Linux on his laptop computer . . .  :-X

That sounds useful, They can tell me all about it then . ;)

I intend to replace my first backup file server with a better distro . ;D
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »

I would recommend that you download the ISO image on DVD (just the first disk of the set of two) and perform your installation from that.

If you really intend it to be a server install, you will not configure a GUI desktop during the installation and would perform all maintenance from the CLI.

My last CentOS 6 installation was to the "other half" of the laptop computer's disk (it is dual boot of either CentOS 6 or RHEL 6) and I performed it as an absolute minimal install by deselecting everything within the installer. Once that minimal system had been booted, it was updated and then all other relevant packages were installed via the Internet.

A new member of the CentOS forum is usually pointed towards the FAQ & Readme First as their first reading task.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 01:27:31 AM »

I had a play test on installing a basic server and that went ok  :) then I installed 'X Window System and GNOME Desktop.
That all downloaded and installed ok, from the 'root' cli I used 'startx' and got the desktop up ok but the mouse pointer is there and then it goes. >:D
I can not get the pointer back on screen  :(         any idea's
(I did a search on the forum but nothing came up ).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 01:48:40 AM »

That reads as if you are over the first hurdle.

from the 'root' cli I used 'startx' and got the desktop up ok but the mouse pointer is there and then it goes. >:D

You must really not start a GUI as root. It is far better to log in as an ordinary user and perform your tests without super-user powers. From the very limited amount of information available, I suspect it is down to the choice of driver for the video display.

If you have done the required reading, you may recall the "How To Provide Information About You System" post. The execution of ./getinfo.sh driver and posting of the contents of the output file so generated to either the Hardware or General Support Fora should be sufficient for a volunteer to be able to assist you in the configuration.  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »

You must really not start a GUI as root. It is far better to log in as an ordinary user and perform your tests without super-user powers.
Well yes,    :hmm: It's only a test machine  and I'm trying to get the desktop working and then I was going to make a 'User' account as there is only the root account on it and I do not know how to use the cli to do it.

From the very limited amount of information available, I suspect it is down to the choice of driver for the video display.
Yes I was thinking that, as it's an old PIII your could be correct, I have a desktop working well on another machine a PIV.
If you have done the required reading, you may recall the "How To Provide Information About You System" post. The execution of ./getinfo.sh driver and posting of the contents of the output file so generated to either the Hardware or General Support Fora should be sufficient for a volunteer to be able to assist you in the configuration.  :)
OK I will have to join the forum, thanks .

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 07:36:57 PM »

Ah, I have an antique (over 13 years old) 450 MHz PIII uniprocessor based system running CentOS 5 as my desktop workstation. It was a bit of a problem to get it to operate satisfactorily . . . only 768 Mbytes of system RAM and 8 Mbytes of video RAM.  :-X  Certainly CentOS 6 would not run on it!  :no:  (Being a 32-bit system it's not PAE able, for a start.)

OK I will have to join the forum, thanks .

I think that would be eminently sensible, so as not to subject fellow Kitizens to all things CentOS support related.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:29:16 AM by burakkucat »

anything