Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Alternative methods: FTTC + fibre optic to the home hybrid?  (Read 3876 times)

tristan

Alternative methods: FTTC + fibre optic to the home hybrid?
« on: October 02, 2012, 09:40:17 PM »

Evening all,

As a continuation to my previous post about rural FTTC issues, I thought I'd ask a question about alternative broadband methods.

Basically, BT have given up on my VDSL connection after their investigations made the line condition worse (I kid ye not) and they are unwilling to return it to its previous state... So I'm looking about at other options:

- ADSL gives us 1 meg down and 256 up, at best (retrograde step).
- microwave link to a friendly neighbour who can get VDSL
- WiMax (or equiv) through a provider, although these providers are seemingly not mature enough to have any towers installed (I haven't seen a coverage map that seems realistic, and not some circles drawn on a google map screenshot) as yet but are aggressively marketing their wares on the lookout for government subsidies, no doubt

* But I had an idea along the lines of FTTP. In our rural location it would be relatively simple to run a stretch of fibre optic cabling along the 2.5 km route to my house. Could this be used, in theory, to provide us with a connection? Assuming:

- the cost of this fibre is roughly equivalent to copper (is that true?)
- a box in the cabinet to get the data signal converted (multiplexed or whatever the term is) and sent along the fibre
- a box at our house to do the reverse

After many conversations with OFCOM, DETI and one or two with BTWholesale I am beginning to think the whole "95% coverage" was done by inept analysts using post code centroids and households per postcode (or equivalent), eyeing up the subsidies in the end game. Head over to http://www.detini.gov.uk/deti-telecoms-index/deti-telecoms-whats-new.htm to see someone else who's started to have this feeling. 2 Mb will not be possible unless either BT pull their finger out and do it themselves, or help/coordinate with WiMax (or equiv) providers by providing them with site access and data connections.

Obviously the economics (on BT's part) is the key, but with vast sums of tax payers money being spent this has to be resolved on way or the other, and the clock is ticking.

Interested in your thoughts...

Tristan

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Alternative methods: FTTC + fibre optic to the home hybrid?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:59:53 AM »

If you have sufficient funds available to wave under the corporate snout of the Beast of Newgate Street (a.k.a. the Beatie Group), then your proposal of FTTH On Demand is achievable.  :-X

I don't have a link to hand but I believe that FTTH On Demand is due to be announced for imminent availability, Real Soon Now;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:42 AM »

I still dont think theres any pricing for it either :(  but as b*cat says its due soon.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:18:35 PM »

Much as I would be delighted with such a service, it remains to be seen IF a practical solution can be engineered. IF it can we will end up with  fairly complete POTS network, overlaid with a partial FTTC overlaid with a sparse FTTH. Might this end up being called a "Pigs Ear" by some ?

I too have been looking at BT VDSL services provided direct from a pole / pit to a local powered external cabinet for VDSL modems & fibre transmogrifiers. Fibre over soft dig is then deployed to houses where the Routers are installed. It's not ideal & relies on good will, power & free way leaves as the B4RN solution. It would increase the maintenance overheads, but desperate needs require desperate solutions !

Kind regards,
Walter

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 08:13:53 AM »

Could 4G be a viable alternative when it arrives?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 08:32:04 AM »

I'd suspect it will be priced with business in mind.
So for small data allowances/month it will be reasonable.
but once you get to the data quantity that people now expect from a home broadband the 4G costs will be "substantial".