Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC section  (Read 7793 times)

indigobanana

FTTC section
« on: September 29, 2012, 07:56:34 PM »

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I'm wondering if there is a FTTC section on the site where I could be able to make calculations about estimated speeds based on distance to the cabinet etc (something like the max speed calculator for fttc) Thanks.
Jamie :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: FTTC section
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »

Do you mean the distance from the cabinet  to your home that the old copper cabling runs.

I'm on digital Region FTTC and this is a guide they use as to the speeds you can expect in conjunction with the length of cable from cabinet to your home,not sure if BT's estimates are the same..

It will also depend what route the cable runs from cabinet to house..as an example.It is 200 metres walking distance from my house to the fibre street cabinet,yet according to the powers that be the cable runs 861metres...which is giving me a download of around 23MB and an upload of around 9MB(this is on a 24/10mb package.)

indigobanana

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »

Thanks for that. Any idea what kind of speed for 1.8km ?  :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:35:20 PM »

What do you mean,....1.8km from Cabinet to your house?

By the estimations on that table I would guess about 12-13MB

indigobanana

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 12:18:29 AM »

Yep, that's what I meant. I estimated on Google Maps that my house is approx. 1.8km by road to the nearest cab (as far as I can tell, I'm secretly hoping there's a closer one!)
Do you know if an FTTC connection would be stable at that distance?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:53:25 AM »

Yep, that's what I meant. I estimated on Google Maps that my house is approx. 1.8km by road to the nearest cab (as far as I can tell, I'm secretly hoping there's a closer one!)
Do you know if an FTTC connection would be stable at that distance?

Have you had a good look round your estate,the new fibre cabinets are usually close to the old cabinets,usually taller with a pitched roof on them,something like this picture

Which isp are you with now,is that connection stable?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 10:54:25 AM »

What do you mean,....1.8km from Cabinet to your house?

By the estimations on that table I would guess about 12-13MB

If your circuit is copper and a damned good poundage !! 1.5Km is roughly the distance FTTC begins to struggle to even make a synch connection. It's all about the attenuation though, not the actual distance.

indigobanana

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »

Sorry, I didn't explain very well... I live in a village, I'm connected to a very rural exchange with less than 700 lines. (LCORT). As far as I know, there is only 1 cabinet within approximately 2 miles of me, the only other cabinet I have seen is in another village 3 miles away. There are some smaller villages/hamlets, but these do not appear to have any cabs at all! The exchange itself is actually about 4km away from my location - I have a downstream attenuation of 54db.

Which isp are you with now,is that connection stable?

I am with TalkTalk (ex Tiscali), the connection is extremely slow in the evenings, often in the region of 0.5mbps download speeds. During the day it is anywhere between 1-3mbps. Of course, this is on standard ADSL with the appauling 0.3mbps upload speed - there is no LLU or ADSL2+ at my exchange, never mind fibre. However, it will be interesting to see what happens during the Connecting Cumbria Superfast Broadband rollout. Although if BT decide to bring FTTC to this area, chances are it will be of very little use to me  :(

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »

Firstly, you should be getting a lot more speed on your current connection, if indeed your attenuation is 54dB ?

Secondly, FTTC (VDSL) frequencies are far greater than Copper Broadband frequencies (ADSL). This results in attenuation values increasing. You need to determine exactly how far you are from the PCP to get an approximation, and as I've said earlier, this really will be a 'guesstimate' as your D-side cable from the PCP to your premises could be all aliminium, which will again increase the attenuation values.

Sorry to sound all doom & gloom. :'(

indigobanana

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »

These are the current sync speeds, sometimes it disconnects and is slower (Just below 4000 Downstream Sync)

Upstream   448
Downstream   4224
SNR Margin(Upstream)   15.0
SNR Margin(Downstream)   7.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream)   27.0
Line Attenuation(Downstream)   54.0

I think the slow speeds are simply a result of TalkTalk.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 04:01:07 PM »

If you put 54.0 into the downstream attenuation here you will see what your line should achieve

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

indigobanana

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 04:34:51 PM »

If you put 54.0 into the downstream attenuation here you will see what your line should achieve

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

According to that calculator I am achieving sync speeds better that the estimated speeds...

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »

It was your post saying you get as low as 0.5Meg that was the reason I mentioned greater speeds.

The plus side is that if you're getting more than the checker states, there's a good chance you're on decent D-side cabling for if and when FTTC comes to your shores ?

indigobanana

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 07:54:21 PM »

It was your post saying you get as low as 0.5Meg that was the reason I mentioned greater speeds.

The plus side is that if you're getting more than the checker states, there's a good chance you're on decent D-side cabling for if and when FTTC comes to your shores ?

Apologies - I get 4 mbps sync but sometimes 0.5 mbps throughput in the evenings. It sounds like the copper cabling is of decent quality, only they run a long distance
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:11:51 PM by indigobanana »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 10:12:55 PM »

Apologies - I get 4 mbps sync but sometimes 0.5 mbps throughput in the evenings. It sounds like the copper cabling is of decent quality, only they run a long distance

That sounds like TalkTalk is traffic managing,throttling your connection at peak times.