Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0RC1 released  (Read 19386 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v1.0RC1 released
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 07:30:37 AM »

Thanks, in that case I should  be able to do it before releasing v 1.0. I don't want to add any major new features at this stage, because I want to concentrate on clearing the last couple of issues with the RC1 version, but this is a small feature.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 08:09:51 AM »

Sorry about that. That library is part of the development system and shouldn't be needed for running the compiled program. I'll find out what's gone wrong.

Not sure what you have found but I did take a look around and it seems that solving this does not look easy from what I have read. I would not worry too much about the issue of the pop ups, it's an annoyance rather then affecting the programs use.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »

Not sure what you have found but I did take a look around and it seems that solving this does not look easy from what I have read. I would not worry too much about the issue of the pop ups, it's an annoyance rather then affecting the programs use.

Stuart

Yes, thanks. There must be a solution (apart from including a copy of the qt4pas library with rs-ux) because I just did a brand new installation of Debian Testing 64-bit KDE, and the Qt version of rs-ux worked fine on this, even though the qt4pas library wasn't installed. But another Qt program I built produces the same error as you reported. So it's not at all clear to me why some Qt programs run on some systems, but not all. I think I'll do what you say, and shelve this for the time being.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »

Eric I have had another thought about a possible addition to the program. I am obviously running rs-ux while playing with the router. This afternoon it did a re-sync while I was watching however had I not been here it would not have been as obvious, I happen to notice the AS uptime reset. I was thinking that you could have an optional log file which could be used to record things like  the time AS uptime resets, highest and lowest snrm etc.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »

Yes Stuart, an event log sounds like a good idea. I'll put it on the todo list.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 03:13:59 PM »

Just had a funny with this version. Came back from shopping and looked at the main screen only to see it had stopped graphing about 2 hours previously, thought it might have hung completely so clicked stop and that worked, followed by a pop about corruption to which I said OK and it then allowed me to start graphing again without seemingly any problems. The program was the only thing left running (other than system processes) while I was out for a couple of hours. The router was still working normally as my wife was using the laptop on the net OK. AS uptime indicates the router has not done any re-syncs during this period, the last one being when I set the snrm back to default. There is no way she could have attempted to login to the router as she has no knowledge of these things!

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 03:47:47 PM »

Did you take a note of the actual wording of the error message?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »

Did you take a note of the actual wording of the error message?

No sorry, it's one I've seen before about OK to continue or Cancel to end but sorry I did not capture the wording about what the error was. Will do better next time  :-[

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 06:34:50 PM »

Never mind, I think I know the message you're referring to. This probably has the same cause as the freeze reported by Bald_Eagle1, and as it's fairly rare it's the devil to diagnose.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 08:37:39 AM »

Just had an error this morning, no hang or anything just an Access Violation. Clicked cancel to end program and restarted OK.

Stuart

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

Just had an error this morning, no hang or anything just an Access Violation. Clicked cancel to end program and restarted OK.

Just a thought Stuart,

Are you also running any derivatives of my harvesting/graphing scripts at the same time as rs-ux/rs-w?

I found that one or the other can freeze, presumably when both attempt to access the modem/router at the same time.
Even staggering the timing of the data harvesting doesn't quite resolve the issue as it appears that eventually they catch up with each other.

My comments may be a red herring though.
As mentioned by Eric, it is quite rare & the devil to diagnose, thus cannot yet be definitely attributed to a timing clash.
Do you maybe have any other software running that may just attempt to access the modem/router at the same time?

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »

No nothing else runs accessing the router, rs-ux is the only thing, apart from normal internet access ofcourse.

Stuart

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »

roseway, running rs-w with A NETGEAR DG834GT, the application doesn't graph any FEC data on the FEC tab.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2012, 06:52:36 PM »

roseway, running rs-w with A NETGEAR DG834GT, the application doesn't graph any FEC data on the FEC tab.

Is your connection interleaved?
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »

Is your connection interleaved?

Yep. Interleaving depth of 64 at the moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4