Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Flashing a Huawei HG521  (Read 3295 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Flashing a Huawei HG521
« on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:12 PM »

Does anyone know if its possible to flash a Talk Talk branded Huawei HG521 to standard FW..?

I obtained one from a neighbour who keeps getting routers sent from Talk Talk even though they dont have a broadband connection (or a computer for that matter) - as far as Im aware its a TREND chipset and has only B/G wifi advertised on the back... I was shocked to see it give a really good connection speed (better than my Netgears and Sky Router 2504N - on par with the Sky-Hub SR101) and the Wi-Fi is 130/270Mbps Wireless-N..signal was good too! - this device is very small, about the size of two 10 packs of ciggys side-by-side (3x3x1")

...anyway, Talk Talk have limited the MTU setting to a max of 1492 and sky use 1500, because of this the actual throughput was reduced to 11Mbps - I tried setting windows and network adapters to 1492 too using TCP Optimizer and manually doing it in registry , but no luck , same result.

I did successfully marry the HG521 to the SR101 as a test to see if I could use the HG521's Wi-Fi in conjunction with another router as the modem, I set the HG521 LAN IP as 192.168.0.100 and turned off DHCP, hooked it too the SR101 via a LAN cable and that was that, worked a charm! turned off Wi-Fi in the SR101 and enabled Wi-FI in the HG521, basically I plan to buy a HG612 from ebay at some point and will probably use this HG521 with it for the wi-fi component, I want a HG612 so I can have a BCM6368 chipset with tweaking and advanced stats capabilities.

Anyway,
I would like to flash the HG521 back to factory firmware if possible - does anyone know if I can? do I change the firmware filename to match that of a Talk Talk one?

thanks

EDIT: after much googling it appears that getting a fw for this model is nigh impossible? doesnt appear to be any firmware download from huawei, I know this model isnt a 'Talk Talk' only router as ive seen 'Huawei' branded ones online
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:01:45 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

anything