Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Media centre PC  (Read 10492 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Media centre PC
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 06:42:49 PM »

That sounds like an excellent spec, the same or more powerful than mine in every department. When I was using the Nova-T 500 it wasn't jittery. So if DMA is set up properly it doesn't leave much else apart from the software to explain the problem.

Compliments to Chris for being a good friend. :)
  Eric

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 07:17:03 PM »

when i built my MC it had an athlon xp1700 cpu, 512 pc2100 mem, gforcefx5200 (still has), 80 gb hdd, nova-t tuner and some old psu i cleaned out to make more quite, esc k7s5a crappy mobo and it worked like a dream.

the min specs for xp mce are minimal to say the least.

Paul

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »

BTW Chris
Youre in BIG trouble when I next see you because Ive only just 2 mins ago seen how much that card really was - and it wasnt just "a few quid".

Teehee - bring it on :P

There was no point getting you a cheaper one with a 2" fan which woulda sounded like a mosquito's hairdryer - you certainly wouldn't have thanked me for that! I saw how disappointed you were with the jerkiness and thought the gfx card would help things along a bit - didn't really suspect the tv card at that time, but we'll have to play with something else.

I'd also read that the TD and Linux wouldn't get along, but we can try either XP MCE or XP with some other media centre... can't think of the name of it now, but there's a very good freebie Media Centre IIRC.. can anyone help?
Chris

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2007, 02:43:05 PM »

The original Nova-T with a Philips chipset was pretty awful

I've been clearing out some cupboards today & I found one of the aforementioned cards. It is indeed a Philips receiver & chipset  :thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2007, 02:50:26 PM »

:)

I worked for Philips for 28 years, so I've got a pretty good understanding of their strengths and weaknesses.
  Eric

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 03:02:02 PM »

Sadly for Hauppauge it doesn't mean I'll buy their cards now. Once bitten etc :)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything