Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fibre modem information  (Read 3104 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Fibre modem information
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

Really, this is just for information purposes for the guys and gals who impart their knowledge to others on this forum.

Whereas previously, if we (Openreach techs) were undertaking a FTTC provision/repair task, if the vendor was ECI we had to install an ECI Modem. Ergo, if the vendor was Huawei, then we had to install their particular model. Failure to comply resulted in what we term a 'Critical defect', and disciplinary measures could have followed.

There has been a change of direction with regard to this process, and regardless of who the vendor is, we can install either of the two modems.

I know not why this has changed, or what the implications might be in terms of performance. This is just to avoid incorrect information or advice being issued from our members, should a relevant question be asked. Cheers.  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Fibre modem information
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »

Thank you very much for that snippet of information BS   :thumbs:

Thats very informative, I wonder what caused the u-turn. 
Ive no doubt that SPs and some BToR will continue to quote the old information for a while to come.  Do you know if theres anything in the public domain yet which an EU could use to back up this latest development if confronted by say a stubborn SP/BT engineer.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »

There has been a change of direction with regard to this process, and regardless of who the vendor is, we can install either of the two modems.

I thought you had mentioned that previously, but thanks for confirmation.

Given the choice & plentiful van stocks of each, which would you choose to install & would there be any particular reason for your choice?

verkosh

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

I think I experienced this on my infinity installation today.

The cabinets in Hasland all appear to be ECI and the OR men fitted a Huawei modem in my house.

Seems to sync up fine at about 66 meg which Is better than the 55 BT estimated.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 06:48:07 PM »

I thought you had mentioned that previously, but thanks for confirmation.

Given the choice & plentiful van stocks of each, which would you choose to install & would there be any particular reason for your choice?

Hi BE, I have mentioned before that we could use either modem for either vendor, but that it was only an interim measure until we could get the relevant kit in place.

This latest decision is with a long-term view. :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »

Whoops, just seen your other question. :-[

I think (and this is only my personal opinion, not based on any stats) that Huawei modems seem to give that extra bit more speed, and relaibility.

Regarding van-stocks ...... the info we have, states that even though we may order a specific item code for a specific modem, there's a chance we could end up receiving the other modem in its place. I can only assume it will be dependant on our stocks at Magna Park ??

anything