Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I spy with my little eye....  (Read 14639 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: I spy with my little eye....
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »

>> None of the run from the Cab will be Fibre, Kitz, whatever Cab you're connected to.

Yep BS, Im aware of that - sorry if I didnt explain well :/   I think what Im trying to say that the length of fibre between the exchange and cabs are going to be  short runs.

I have to say, I did think it a bit odd that you wouldn't be aware of exactly what FTTC entails. It's just it read like you were under the impression part of the D-side run would utilise Fibre.
Apologies for mis-reading your statement.   
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:40:52 AM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »

hah... its ok... it just gets even more confusing, because Ive just street walked google maps.   
Theres actually 3 cabs that I could viably be connected to.  Imagine a triangle and pick a corner. 
Cab 'no 3' is only 200m from cab 2, but still a possibility.   Phone lines are UG so that doesnt help me much either. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »

I'm sure if you told a friendly CP representative (I'm thinking about Azzaka) your telephone number and postcode he could look up which cabinet in the Beatie supplied dbase.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »

>> I'm sure if you told a friendly CP representative

Thank you B*cat for the suggestion...  Ive just found out that theres a 4th cab within the triangle that I never was aware of nor have I ever seen. ???   so I think a little walk tomorrow when its daylight will be on the agenda to try and find something that I must have walked past many many times yet never seen.   A trip to spec-savers may also be in order  :D

----
edited to add

Oh!  found it.   Oh my.   3 cabs all within 200m of each other.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:41:50 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

verkosh

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 11:58:51 PM »

If your with BT i think the price is the same for FTTC as it is for ADSL.

At least it was for me to switch from Total Broadband option 3 to go on Infinity option 2

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 06:52:08 AM »

Oh!  found it.   Oh my.   3 cabs all within 200m of each other.. .

Ah, but how far from each cab to the home is the important matter.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:36:47 PM by kitz »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 01:06:52 PM »

Exactly BE. 

About 8 yrs ago I managed to get my actual line length from the BT number (which you can no longer do) and I cant find where I saved the info to now but I think I remember it right.   Then subtracting the walking distance today between exchange and cab.

I just wish there was some more detailed linear info somewhere for vdsl speeds.   

*Thank you very much to the kind person who has confirmed details of my cab and line.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 06:43:10 AM by kitz »
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »

I just wish there was some more detailed linear info somewhere for vdsl speeds.   

I have no idea on what calculations are based & how accurate it is across the board, but the VDSL2 17MHz calculator in the DSL Tools section at this site doesn't look too far adrift for my own connection:-

http://hierzo.net/

What sort of copper distances are you looking at for your connection?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »

Supposing Kitz was to borrow a TDR and measure the (electrical) length of the pair from her NTE5/A to the exchange MSAN? That would give us a far more accurate baseline datum point, from which various guesstimates could be made.

I wonder if Mrs Eagle would fancy a day-trip to Blackpool? It is certainly within distance of the Eagle's nest, situated within the Devil Worshippers' catchment area.  >:D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »

Thank you very much everyone for your replies...

I now have a pretty good idea of my line length from the cab and based on that info I should be ok to get 40Mbps, probably a bit more on  80/20 :)
-----

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 11:23:14 PM »

I should be ok to get 40Mbps, probably a bit more on  80/20 :)

Ah, now you have just moved the goalposts  :o

In metres, are you willing to divulge the "likely" distance?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »

@ Kitz & BS,

Another thing to be aware of, particularly as you have an ECI 256, is that there is a good chance that your initial speed will degrade over time due to power cut-back to reduce cross talk on competing twisted pairs.

To give BT Wholesale their due, they do mention that on their estimator.

I have an example of a service actually skipping two intermediate PCPs with a map measured distance of about 1 Km. The BT W estimate, which is still available, says about 35.7 Kbps down. The initial sync speed was just under 30 Mbps but that has now dropped to around 25Mbps which results in throughput speeds around 22 Mbps.

If Kitz found herself in that position she might well be catawalling most of the night !

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 12:07:36 AM »

>> there is a good chance that your initial speed will degrade over time due to power cut-back to reduce cross talk on competing twisted pairs.

Thank you for that info.   Out of curiosity, does this not happen with the Huawei dslams too?
-----

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 06:58:39 PM »

@ Kitz,

As it's mentioned without qualification on the Wholesale web site** I expect you are correct but I've not observed that situation myself.

** Here's an extract on one of our "Superslow" lines from  http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st December 2012 (but we hope it's this week). Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 3.9Mbps and upstream line speed of 900Kbps. (We understand that these figures are sometimes adjusted after the cabinet is commissioned.)

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2012, 07:45:39 PM »

Thanks for the additional info.

We understand that these figures are sometimes adjusted after the cabinet is commissioned
../snip/ ..
This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

I could be wrong, but Id assumed that was to generally cover themselves against any changes in line condition?

>>> I expect you are correct but I've not observed that situation myself.

I dont know about FTTC as thats all new to me and hence my query, but afaik all of the exchange MSANs (BTw or LLU) seem to experience some sort of degradation over time due to cross-talk as more lines are added.  It can normally be seen by looking at a DMT tool graph on a good line,  where tones in the 7/8Mb mark arent as fully loaded as some of the latter frequencies. :/
-----
Pages: 1 [2]