Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No email access to my O2 account from a BTinternet account  (Read 13012 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: No email access to my O2 account from a BTinternet account
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2012, 03:17:34 PM »

Im trying to work on something else atm hence the slowness in between phone calls (for something else)..

but I think its being rejected unless SSL is being used.
I need to look into it properly, but just putting the info in so HP knows,   but I think by default Outlook sets SMTP the same as POP3,  and Im guessing that O2 doesnt seem to like anymail that isnt authenticated by using Outlooks Secure Password Authentication. 

When I get a mo to mess I'll try changing some settings in Outlook.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 03:20:38 PM »

Yes, I was beginning to think along the same lines. Fortunately, she's taken the notebook to work with her today, so we'll be able to look at it in detail when I pick her up tonight at around 6:00.

I do appreciate you taking the time to help with this, by the way. I'm sure it's something really simple - it's just a case of what.
Utility Warehouse (via TalkTalk)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 03:35:55 PM »

but I think its being rejected unless SSL is being used.
OK, I'll try a different email account that doesn't use SSL - I have many to choose from!  :lol:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 03:42:57 PM »

I just sent myself and Toulouse separate messages via a simple non-SSL email account.
Mine arrived OK on my O2 account.

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 03:46:25 PM »

Yes, I also got that message and have replied to it.
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

People tell me that I ought to get out more. But in the words of the great Homer J Simpson, "Yeah, but what ya gonna do ?"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »

Ive just done a couple of tests which can be replicated.

Mail 1 Appeared to go through perfectly fine.
Mail 2 Gets bounced back to me
Code: [Select]
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.
      Subject: Test
      Sent: 17/09/2012 17:05
The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:
      'user@o2.co.uk' on 17/09/2012 17:05
            550 relay not permitted

Mail 1 uses Advanced settings in Outlook
Mail 2 uses the default settings in Outlook using the setup wizard and putting in your POP3 and SMTP details.

I'll post some screen caps showing the 2 different configs so it will give you an idea where she should be changing them.  The only difference is on the Advanced settings screen.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »

Ive just done a couple of tests which can be replicated.
For you maybe, but not for me.  ???
All my tests go through OK, SSL or not (set as shown by you).
Admittedly in my case I used different accounts on different email servers, I didn't change my Outlook settings but I did check them.

I used Gmail (their servers) with SSL and 2 different non-SSL (ports 110 and 25) email accounts via a hosting service I use.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 05:49:00 PM »

>>> For you maybe, but not for me.

No idea then HP its very strange  ???   Its got to have something to do with her configs somewhere though..  I can constantly repeat the above, so I suppose it must depend on the mail server?

Port 995 isnt required -  thats something specific to the new platform that Im on.  But as soon as I try to use port 25 then the mail gets rejected. 

Yet the weird thing is the forum software uses port 25 and that mail is going through ok to Toulouse.  However the IP which the forum is on... isnt the same as my mailserver IP which I use for Outlook.  Go Figure that one out,  because I well and truely have no idea! :-\

-----

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 11:05:50 AM »

Ok, I'm back. Thanks to Kitz and HPsauce for taking an interest in this issue for me. A little more info on the original email message that SWMBO tried to send me on Sunday morning, which contained 2 attachments consisting of two poems which she had written using OpenOffice Writer. Initially, I thought that maybe some size limit had been reached and that somewhere between her Btinternet account and my O2 account something had stepped in and decided to reject the message. However, having looked at things a little more, I'm not so sure that it is my O2 account that is causing the problem, but I am prepared to be corrected on this.

When she got here last night after work, I attempted to forward the offending message to my Hotmail account, thinking that we would be able to use my O2 Wireless network to receive the message on my new notebook computer. Of course that didn't work because she needed to be connected to her BT account in order to 'forward' the message. Around 8pm last night, after she had left here and got home all of a sudden the offending message appeared in my Hotmail account on my notebook computer. She had of course switched on her computer when she got home, and this allowed the forwarded message to be sent. Anyway, I'm probably rambling on a bit, but what I have done this morning is to extract all the headers from the message and hopefully all the relevant information is included, but before I attach it to this forum topic, could someone explain to me what are the  'sensitive' parts which I may need to edit out.

TTFN

toulouse
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »

>>> 'sensitive' parts which I may need to edit out

Just the email addresses.  I know you have given us information in this post which enables a human to be able to piece together the info, but its the automated spam bot harvesters routinely scan everywhere on the internet trying to pick up valid email addresses, which is what you need to avoid.   Replacing the first part of the addresses with something like 'user' or 'me' should suffice.
-----

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »

Ok, thanks Kitz.

I think an on-the-ball spammer might have picked up some of the details from yesterday, but never mind.

I think I've attached the relevant details (just the headers) from the message that SWMBO got back on Sunday morning after trying to send email with attachments to me. I looks to me as though it may not be my address that is causing the problem, but I'd be happy to be told otherwise.

Thanks

Mick (& SWMBO)
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 03:43:03 PM »

That basically says that the Yahoo email server used nm6.bullet.mail.ird.yahoo.com [77.238.189.63] is blacklisted.
Nothing you can do about it.  :'(

toulouse

• Reg Member
  • I like cheesecake !!!
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2012, 04:04:17 PM »

Ok, thanks for that HPsauce. So it doesn't indicate that my email address has been marked as a 'spammer' ?
FTTC 40/10
ZyXEL VMG8924-B10A
ECI (approx 750 metres)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »

Nothing to do with you at all, other than your email service is checking for blacklisted senders - in this case Yahoo.
Spamcop no longer lists that Yahoo server so it may be OK now, though other blacklists do still have it.
Or it could just be that O2 are slow at updating their anti-spam lists  ::)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2012, 11:21:46 PM »

:'(
-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything