Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Infinity Issues Advice needed  (Read 5414 times)

KIAB

• Reg Member
Infinity Issues Advice needed
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »

Been long time lurker, have gleaned some good advice on here, but need some advice myself now.

Long story, but I will keep it short, was getting high pings 60ms or higher, frequent disconnections, stability issues, low download/ upload speed,buffering,etc having to reboot HH3, & BT modem frequently to restore some normality.
Problem been dragging on for several months now,got so fed up with issues, so complained, after numerous calls, emails, made some progress, I had my ports changed on the cabinet.
Things were better for a while, but upload speed is slowly getting slower, tried a Draytek 2750n for week, still getting micro disconnections, looking at Draytek log, sometimes only 15-20 seconds.

Asked for a line shift to another pole which is closer to my house, & would  halve the distance from the cabinet presently around 750mtrs down to 330mts, according to engineer it would make no difference to my performance, yet my neighbour who is on the pole i would like gets around 60/12 compared to my 43/5.

Thought about having a new line. as it's on offer on the BT site site, then having old line switched off, but Openreach flatly refuses to install the new line.

Most of the problem seem to increase going over to Infinity 2, which I blamed on poor line quality & distance to cabinet, & engineer confirmed this, saying  'you can get a degraded signal due to quality of the line'.
Perhaps I should put up with the speed I have, but would you be happy paying £26 per month for the current speed & issues, when a better speed is available only 50' away.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 11:53:21 AM by KIAB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Infinity Issues Advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »

As Im not lucky enough to have FTTC anywhere near here, I cant give any personal experiences of it.

>> but Openreach flatly refuses to install the new line

There should be a spare pair in your existing line which is probably what they would normally use.  However its not uncommon to for some homes to have different routing.   One of the BT guys could probably comment better than me on that.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jonnyteg

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »

I doubt moving pole thats you say is 50m away will more than double the dside, my guess your line isnt as good as it could be.   

When you say 50m you do realise we have prints that show exactly how many meters it would be max being 60m for a dropwire. 

The other Dp may not have any spares anyway.  Speak with your cp they will moniter your vdsl and maybe book a boost visit, never be afraid to speak to the cp if your not happy with it then its up to them. 

Hope that answers your question

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:57:50 AM »

If you are not receiving your VDSL2 service via a Huawei CPE (i.e. you have been provided with an ECI modem), I would suggest obtaining a Huawei HG612 from eBay, flashing it with Asbokid's unlocked firmware and use Bald_Eagle1's scripts to monitor your line status.

Once you have sufficient data collected, the Baldy_Bird will positively enjoy making an analysis of your line!  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:59 AM »

Jonnyteg: The drop wire would be 50 feet (15mtrs) from my house to this other pole I want, there are spare pairs available on it.

I thought halving the distance to the cabinet would greatly improve my performance.

Kitz: I do have the Huawei HG612, but changed the BT kit, to the Draytek as the wireless performance was better.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 07:09:46 AM by KIAB »

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »

Bald_Eagles info and stats scripts are a wonderful little tool to use i agree. - just recently set all that up on mine. and it has provided some very interesting results!!!

But for some other things in life an external source is always good to use as a double check for some of the other information that you may need, - and personally i will always use Measurement labs. (personal preference i guess)

I posted this in another thread believe it or not - but i will post it here too, the line stats and information that you get from it will be of great benefit to you when the time comes if you need to call out a BT Engineer. (which lets face it from the problem you have briefly described it sounds like you do need to do!)

http://www.measurementlab.net/run-ndt

This link when you run the tests and go to the advanced tab(s) once completed will give you stats and other information about your line. it will also help to highlight other problems too that you may or may not be aware of.

I had issues with my line at one stage and had to call openreach - they rewired my connection completely (for free) when i reported a fault on the line to them instead of running off the old copper wire that i had i got a new master socket installed and a new line, and if i am honest over the last 3 - 6 months almost every single connection has been changed including the DSLAM itself lol.

but yes they ran a new set of wires from outside my home through the wall and it now goes straight into the back of the master socket so there are no more wires running through my home, i had a new faceplate installed - and the connection from the little black box (not sure what that is called) to the master socket was all changed over. I then had the port in the cabinet changed as it was detected to have had a fault on the port i was on, and then about a month later there was a fault on the DSLAM so that got changed too. - now i have no issues at all and i am loving it.

From what you are saying though get a good engineer to run all the possible tests - and you may find that the "pole" isn't the problem. just some dodgy connections somewhere on route from the cabinet to your home...

have BT Run a line check to highlight the problems. and if they say it is within tolerable levels well - tell them you know that it isn't.

EXAMPLE OF A GOOD TEST RESULT my total speeds were
Upload: 17 mb/s
Download: 74 mb/s

Network latency: 37 msec round trip time

Code: [Select]
Your system: Windows 7 version 6.1
Java version: 1.7.0_07 (x86)

TCP receive window: 346880 current, 503808 maximum
1.5797E-5 packets lost during test
Round trip time: 18 msec (minimum), 50 msec (maximum), 36.87 msec (average)
Jitter: 32 msec
0 seconds spend waiting following a timeout
TCP time-out counter: 237
12 selective acknowledgement packets received

No duplex mismatch condition was detected.
The test did not detect a cable fault.
Network congestion may be limiting the connection.
No network address translation appliance was detected.

0.0421% of the time was not spent in a receiver limited or sender limited state.
95.34% of the time the connection is limited by the client machine's receive buffer.
Optimal receive buffer: 515899392 bytes
0 duplicate ACKs set

Code: [Select]
WEB100 Kernel Variables: Client: localhost/127.0.0.1 CurMSS: 1452 X_Rcvbuf: 87380 X_Sndbuf: 1188048 AckPktsIn: 27135 AckPktsOut: 0 BytesRetrans: 5808 CongAvoid: 0 CongestionOverCount: 1 CongestionSignals: 1 CountRTT: 26973 CurCwnd: 461736 CurRTO: 237 CurRwinRcvd: 346880 CurRwinSent: 5888 CurSsthresh: 95156820 DSACKDups: 4 DataBytesIn: 0 DataBytesOut: 93180924 DataPktsIn: 0 DataPktsOut: 63304 DupAcksIn: 7 ECNEnabled: 0 FastRetran: 1 MaxCwnd: 461736 MaxMSS: 1452 MaxRTO: 249 MaxRTT: 50 MaxRwinRcvd: 503808 MaxRwinSent: 5888 MaxSsthresh: 95156820 MinMSS: 1452 MinRTO: 219 MinRTT: 18 MinRwinRcvd: 0 MinRwinSent: 5840 NagleEnabled: 1 OtherReductions: 1 PktsIn: 27135 PktsOut: 63304 PktsRetrans: 4 RcvWinScale: 7 SACKEnabled: 3 SACKsRcvd: 12 SendStall: 0 SlowStart: 515 SampleRTT: 38 SmoothedRTT: 37 SndWinScale: 8 SndLimTimeRwin: 9584749 SndLimTimeCwnd: 423563 SndLimTimeSender: 44552 SndLimTransRwin: 18 SndLimTransCwnd: 32 SndLimTransSender: 15 SndLimBytesRwin: 90360192 SndLimBytesCwnd: 2764416 SndLimBytesSender: 56316 SubsequentTimeouts: 0 SumRTT: 994489 Timeouts: 0 TimestampsEnabled: 0 WinScaleRcvd: 8 WinScaleSent: 7 DupAcksOut: 0 StartTimeUsec: 750646 Duration: 10052962 c2sData: 4 c2sAck: 4 s2cData: 8 s2cAck: 5 half_duplex: 0 link: 100 congestion: 1 bad_cable: 0 mismatch: 0 spd: 74.15 bw: 75.60 loss: 0.000015797 avgrtt: 36.87 waitsec: 0.00 timesec: 10.00 order: 0.0003 rwintime: 0.9534 sendtime: 0.0044 cwndtime: 0.0421 rwin: 3.8438 swin: 9.0641 cwin: 3.5228 rttsec: 0.036870 Sndbuf: 1188048 aspd: 0.00000 CWND-Limited: 539.30 minCWNDpeak: 151008 maxCWNDpeak: 439956 CWNDpeaks: 1 The theoretical network limit is 75.6 Mbps The NDT server has a 580.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 245.83 Mbps Your PC/Workstation has a 492.0 KByte buffer which limits the throughput to 104.25 Mbps The network based flow control limits the throughput to 95.54 Mbps Client Data reports link is 'T3', Client Acks report link is 'T3' Server Data reports link is 'OC-48', Server Acks report link is 'FastE'
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:33:56 AM by SecTSys »
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

SecTSys

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:35:16 AM »

Damn just noticed the packet drops! ok correction - a good example of an Average result

Though it does say Network congestion may be limiting the connection.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:51:50 AM by SecTSys »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »

If I'm reading the first post correctly it implies that the other distrubution pole is connected to a different closer cabinet, less than half the distance to his cabinet (330 meters instead of 750 meters). In which case it would be good to get connected via that pole, but I have no idea how you would persuade BT to install a new line from that pole.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

SecTSys

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 10:54:18 AM »

lol - just ask for an engineer to have a look at the problems on your line...

Then speak to the engineer when he turns up! (how do you think i did it.)

if you ask them over the phone they will not let it happen - but what the engineer himself does is a different matter on arrival, if he can find faults on the line at more than one juncture he himself will call into BT Wholsesale / openreach / etc and try to get the lines shifted elsewhere (if the fault isn't repairable that is!)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:00:33 AM by SecTSys »

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:56 AM »

Ronski: Sorry I didn't make my post clearer, this other pole is also connected to the same cabinet I am already on.
But, it's location means the distance to the cabinet would be about 330mtrs, compared to my present 750mtrs.

SecTSys: I have had at least five engineer visits this year  for line faults, last engineer did a 'lift & shift' basically changing the ports on the cabinet.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:06:59 PM by KIAB »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »

Well I guess being on the same cabinet would make a line shift much easier, but how come it's so much shorter?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 12:13:28 PM »

The front pole cable  goes up one road along another road, then down the next road to the bottom where cabinet is located.
Where as the rear pole cable runs down a short lane & then a short hop along the high street to the cabinet, if you remove the slight bend in the road, you could see the cabinet.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »

I doubt moving pole thats you say is 50m away will more than double the dside, my guess your line isnt as good as it could be.   

When you say 50m you do realise we have prints that show exactly how many meters it would be max being 60m for a dropwire. 

The other Dp may not have any spares anyway.  Speak with your cp they will moniter your vdsl and maybe book a boost visit, never be afraid to speak to the cp if your not happy with it then its up to them. 

68mtrs is the maximum permitable, not 60.  :)
Hope that answers your question

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »

Don't know what happened to my original comments ?. Anyhows, 68 mtrs is the max permitable for a 'flyer' (drop wire), not 60 mtrs.  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »

Don't know what happened to my original comments ?. Anyhows, 68 mtrs is the max permitable for a 'flyer' (drop wire), not 60 mtrs.  ;)

I think you will find that they have been absorbed into the initial quotation?   ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything