Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help needed - Anyone on non BT FTTC?  (Read 3239 times)

Darren

Help needed - Anyone on non BT FTTC?
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »

Hi all,

I'm on BT FTTC and am getting rubbish throughput on the upload speed to rapidshare.com. I was wondering if anyone here who has FTTC with another ISP would be willing to test the upload speed, this will help determin whether it is rapidshare or BT who are throttleing the speed, both are denying responsibility.

If you could test upload speed via both rapidshare.com and via their rapidshare manager application that would be great, I think you need to sign up for a free account to use the application but I'd be happy to send a months worth of premium access your way for your trouble ;)

Through rapidshare.com I get between 700-900 KB/s and via their rapidshare manager application I get 650 KB/s, both rather short of the 2200 KB/s my connection is capable of.

I can saturate my upload speed to rapidshare by uploading multiple files at the same time so their servers seem to have the capacity.

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Help needed - Anyone on non BT FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 08:23:30 PM »

Although I don't have non-BT FTTC, I strongly suspect BT are infact responsible for the slow speed, as they may class it as P2P (although really I don't see how it is, but to them they'll see it as sharing files like torrent, probably). If anyone has evidence to prove me wrong though please feel free to post :).

I would test it here on my BT Business FTTC connection but I don't have any rapidshare download links (as a free member) to try. PM me one and I'll try it for you just to see if BT Business connections are also effected.

Darren

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:09:31 PM »

Hi Ixel, Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, it's upload speed I'm having trouble with, ie, sending data from me to their servers.

According to my router both their website and the rapidshare manager application uses TCP. They could still be throttleing it but it shouldn't be getting classed as P2P.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 12:09:47 AM »

Hi Ixel, Sorry maybe I wasn't clear, it's upload speed I'm having trouble with, ie, sending data from me to their servers.

According to my router both their website and the rapidshare manager application uses TCP. They could still be throttleing it but it shouldn't be getting classed as P2P.

My mistake. I just tried uploading a few large files and noticed that each upload is limited to a speed of 300KB/sec, which is a small chunk of the actual 20000 Kbps upload sync I have available. I tried multiple files at the same time and each one added 300KB/sec~ to the upload speed. I'm beginning to believe Rapidshare are capping the speed per file, unless I'm deliberately stuck at that speed per file because free users are? That would be silly if that was the case. Anyway, though I'm BT (BT Business however, not residential), I hope this has helped slightly in some way or another :P.

Darren

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 12:30:47 AM »

Ah now you mention it it has been as slow as 300KB/s for me on occation. So I guess we can assume if BT are throttleing it it's on a global basis and not a per connection basis based on usage, which would probably make it impossible to get them to remove the cap if indeed they are capping it. :(

Anyway, thanks for trying, post/pm your rapidshare Account ID and I'll throw some rapids your way :)

If anyone on a non bt FTTC connection has 5 mins to give this a go I'd be most thankful and make it worth your while ;)

Darren

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

Ah, I just noticed you need an account to upload to the website aswell.

If you want to help me out send me a PM and I'll give you the login details for an account you can use.

Thanks!