Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CAT6 from the junction box worked!  (Read 17233 times)

jabns

• Reg Member
CAT6 from the junction box worked!
« on: November 30, 2007, 11:39:26 PM »

I just rewired my lines with CAT6 cable right from the junction box and my throughput speed has increased and my pings  have dropped to 15ms from 18ms(not alot but it was an interesting experiment). The speed increase is from 13800kbps to the speed in my sig.

I don't think in most houses it would make a difference but my house has a lot of interference and i am on a long pair of lines.

I also have placed a piece of card between my PCI modem cards and it has increased my SNR so there must have been some crosstalk.

My next test is to plug my modem straight into the junction box.

PS: Do not do what i have done as it is border line on the not allowed scale.

James

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: CAT6 from the junction box worked!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:45:50 PM »

>> my pings  have dropped to 15ms from 18ms

hmmm.. just a thought - I noticed the other day that my latency slightly increased too.
- You know how we had the outage last week at the exchange? 
and I wondered if BT had done some re-routing and First hop to the RAS slightly increased.  I actually swapped login last night to check that it was the RAS and not my ISP.

Mine is back to normalish though now today although perhaps 1ms higher.  (prev 14 now 15)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 01:55:48 AM »

Yeah mine went crazy after the outage but then stabalized. I have always been about 18-19ms until now  :) !

My setup is a bit more sensitive because it is only as fast as the slowest line(in terms of response not speed) and as one of my lines goes all the way down chatty its is a bit higher than the "norm"  :(.

I got a 100m real of it so thought why not(like you do LOL)!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 02:07:23 AM »

>> I got a 100m real of it so thought why not(like you do LOL)!

lol dont talk to me about cable...  I currently have about 45/50m of bright bluecat5 (thanks chris :) ) running across the kitchen doorway, around the  the lounge, up the stairs, over the banister and into the PC room  :lol:

Ive put cushions over the cable so the brat doesnt just trip over them as she enters the kitchen.

Yeah I know - "I should" tidy it up a bit.....  yeah ok I will...  at some point  :lol:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 07:47:53 AM »

I recently bought a pair of 85 Mbps powerline connectors to get a network connection to the back of my new media centre PC (more of that anon :) ), and I have to say that they are an excellent solution. No trailing wires and a fast reliable connection.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »

>> I recently bought a pair of 85 Mbps powerline connectors

The cat 5 cable is supposed to be a temporary kind of thing and was really to see if it was wireless that is causing part of the problem (it was).
I'd decided a couple of months ago that powerline would be the ideal solution - but that will have to wait.
Which ones did you get eric?

>> my new media centre PC (more of that anon)
Oooh looking forward to that - although I still have to spill the beans on the spec of mine - guess I havent cause theres still things that need sorting before its able to do all it should.  One of the other things is Vista which Im not overly impressed with Im afraid.... but after having forked out for it I suppose I should "make myself" get to grips with it.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »

>> Which ones did you get eric?

I got these (although I see they're now discontinued by BroadbandBuyer): http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=4744

No setting up required - just plug them in and switch on. I'm slightly nervous about the lack of security (to enable security you have to be running a Windows machine and install drivers on it) but I guess that only my next-door neighbour is likely to be able to pick up the signal. I only switch them on when I actually need them.

I'll start a chat about the media centre shortly.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 10:54:21 AM »

Thanks...  and look forward to hearing about the media centre :)
-----

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »

The Devolo adaptors don't require drivers of any sort - just for people's reference. You run a setup utility on each adaptor and basically enter your chosen key. The adaptors handle the encryption after that and I'm very surprised yours don't Eric. 56-bit DES (seems to be what yours use) is ancient encryption and requires no significant processing power so why it isn't built into the adaptors I don't know ???

Also for reference it's unlikely to be your next-door neighbour who picks up the traffic as most adjacent houses in the UK are on a different phase of the mains. It does get through the meter however, despite what Devolo claim. I tested it on two neighbours houses here that are on the same phase and it worked, albeit at a very low speed (2Mbps or so). Houses were perhaps 50 metres apart.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:39:23 AM by rizla »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:41:57 PM »

Thanks for the advice Rizla. As it happens, my neighbour is on the same phase as me - we share a 2-wire feed from a nearby pole. But from what you say, I do need to think a bit about the security.
  Eric

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 12:42:48 PM »

Sorry guys just woke up after doing something quite funny. I fell a sleep while writting a reply on the site(must have been a boring reply  :lol: ). I am surprise i did not break my lappy.

Anyway to the point,

Yours is blue. I can beat that, mines bright purple  :lol: ! I did not no that you could get cable in the color.

I have just replaced my powerline adapters as well because they were increasing latency by 500ms  ??? They were the 200mb/s netgear ones. I think they were not compatable with my circuit. we have 12 circuit breakers and if it was on certain ones they would not work??? They overheated if you had encryption on as well.

James

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »

>> mines bright purple 

oooooh I want purple cable
-----

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 01:46:13 PM »

My dad wants to kill me look at the third image :lol: :

http://frufc.com/rand/purp.html

James
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:50:35 PM by jabns »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 02:18:04 PM »

whoops  :lol:
-----

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 03:53:03 PM »

Apparently if you have one of the new meters which can be read remotely then the powerline signal doesn't get through the meter. Being a cynical sod I reckon that has more to do with the power company stopping you sniffing their data than vice versa ;)

Perhaps most meters in Germany are like this hence Devolo's claims? I have no idea :)
Pages: [1] 2

anything