Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 21CN Education  (Read 4041 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
21CN Education
« on: August 10, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »

Hello,

I have recently been migrated to 21CN and I have a few questions to further educate me on 21CN (since I haven't used it before or experienced it):

1. Why has the speed increased to 8000Kbps from 7000Kbps despite being on the same ADSL Max service, just on 21CN rather than 20CN. Is it to do with the IFTN (Infineon chipset)?

2. I am syncing at 8000Kbps with interleaving switched on. I thought with interleaving the max was 7616Kbps? Does 21CN have different limits?

3. Should I do anything over the first 10 days if there is a 10 day training period?

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: 21CN Education
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »

Re item 2
On ADSL1/20CN it depends on the router:

Some only do 7616 as you said and as BT originally also said was the max on interleaved lines
Some manage more-
The BT Voyager 2110 will, but only up to 8096 as a max
Others which implemented mode s=0.5 which was an addition to the original international DMT spec' I think will do the full 8128 and I've seen two lines in the past indeed doing the full 8128/interleaved

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »

As c6em says its to do with S=1/2 mode.  Which basically is a more efficient algorithm for encoding of RS code words meaning less overhead needed for error correction. 

Although it was implemented with adsl2 (increasing speed from 8>12Mb) and then adsl2+ (12>24Mb), Some of the MSANs which BT installed for maxdsl - such as the Fujitsu Geostreams - were able to utilise S=1/2 mode as long as your router was also compatible.... this is why some maxdsl lines can sync at >8128 even if interleaved.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:31:55 PM »

hmm ive seen plenty of 8128k / 448k sync'd ADSL lines including my own at old address back in 2006..? (DG834Gv3)

....am I missing something here?
 - ive never heard of this 7616k max sync before OR that BT stated that 7616k was max you could get on ADSL1 - its always been 8128k max on 20CN ADSL1 (IPstream) - I know the profiling system means you cant get more than 7150k

learn summit new every time i come on here - thats why i love it :)
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:01:01 PM »

12.2 What does the maximum line rate fall to if interleaving is applied?

The line will be reduced to 7616 kbps.

From BTw
https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/document/Products/Broadband/IPStream/dsl_max_myths_legends_issue1.pdf
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »

wierd.... never knew that, s'funny how a lot of people were getting 8128k - I mean it was very common to get that if line was capable, at least seemed that way

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:52:18 PM »

It seemed to be fairly common when maxdsl first came in, but gradually over the next few years the higher sync rate appeared more often.

This could be due to updating of the exchange MSANs (or MSAN firmware?)... also more people would be updating to newer routers. 

When maxdsl first came in, many users were still using the same routers that they had for say 512/1Mb/2Mb fixed rate.  Whilst many of these would work fine with maxdsl, not all of them (eg the old Solwise/Voyagers some of the older STs - even the old frog modems were still in use) supplied by some ISPs back then were not adsl 2/2+ compatible nor able to use s=1/2 mode algorithm.

-----

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »

i was on AOL 2Mb when they put us on 8Mb free when BT upgraded, we were using the BT Voyager USB Modem thing lol.. memory is vague but I did end up getting a Netgear DG834Gv3 off them - dunno if it was for the 8Mb or if I mangled one from them later, probably the latter- I remember we only got 4Mb but the line was easily capable of 8Mb as we got that later with Entanet

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »

My memory is hazy now, but Im pretty sure that AOL fobbed off many of their users for quite a while imposing speed caps of around 2 or 4Mb even when lines were capable of the full 8Mb.   I do remember seeing some very interesting transcripts of conversations between their users and CS, that shall I say made quite a fairy tale with their excuses  :D

The DG834v3 s were one of the routers that should be able to support s=1/2 mode, so that could be why you perhaps didnt notice it.
-----

anything