Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Looking for advice with possible fault  (Read 3350 times)

xS0ViiET

• Just arrived
Looking for advice with possible fault
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:57:46 PM »

So since the 5th of August I have been having a problem where at certain times of the day my noise levels will increase or decrease causing re syncs. Also at least once a week while one of these episodes occur my line attenuation will also increase considerably. I have been monitoring my connection during this time and have noticed a pattern to when these episodes occur, it is most prominent between the hours of 2pm and 3pm this is when my noise levels will fluctuate the most and my connection will re sync it. It normally settles down once my noise levels hit over 13db. I would also like to point out that during these episodes I get a lot of noise on my phone line. My F8lure graphs show a distinct pattern of packetloss when these instances occur (if anyone would like to see these I can provide links).

My biggest concern with all of this is my lack of test socket as I have an external nte, however I have tested all I can (3 modems, numerous filters and dsl cables) and the problem still exists. I'm stuck as what to do next. My telephone provider says there is no fault on the line and a BTO engineer could not find a fault even though he never visited my property apparently he spent all his time at the exchange. What I'm really looking for is a bit of direction as to what my next step should be. Here are my router stats which may help my connection has been up for 4 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to look at this post.

Mode:   ADSL_2plus
Traffic Type:   ATM
Link Power State:   L0

Downstream   Upstream
Line Coding(Trellis):   On   On
SNR Margin (0.1 dB):   139   165
Attenuation (0.1 dB):   80   37
Output Power (0.1 dBm):   184   124
Attainable Rate (Kbps):   24193   1040

Path 0       Path 1   
    Downstream   Upstream   Downstream   Upstream
Rate (Kbps):   18492   1049   0   0

MSGc (# of bytes in overhead channel message):   60   16   0   0
B (# of bytes in Mux Data Frame):   174   29   0   0
M (# of Mux Data Frames in FEC Data Frame):   1   1   0   0
T (Mux Data Frames over sync bytes):   3   3   0   0
R (# of check bytes in FEC Data Frame):   12   0   0   0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Data Frame length):   0.3269   0.9795   0.0   0.0
L (# of bits in PMD Data Frame):   4576   245   0   0
D (interleaver depth):   96   1   0   0
Delay (msec):   7.84   0.24   0.0   0.0
INP (DMT symbol):   1.0   0.0   0.0   0.0

Super Frames:   477677   478286   0   0
Super Frame Errors:   0   0   0   0
RS Words:   94580204   0   0   0
RS Correctable Errors:   10767   0   0   0
RS Uncorrectable Errors:   7381   0   0   0

HEC Errors:   24   74   0   0
OCD Errors:   0   0   0   0
LCD Errors:   0   0   0   0
Total Cells:   337156973   2083120090   0   0
Data Cells:   383998   81762560   0   0
Bit Errors:   0   14028110   0   0

Total ES:   406   208
Total SES:   226   23
Total UAS:   172   172

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Looking for advice with possible fault
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:03 AM »

If I were in your situation with a (no longer installed and now discredited) XNTE, I would do the following:

(1) Open the XNTE. Yes, that is permitted. Withdraw the yellow plug and consider how I might make a temporary connection to the incoming pair. Perhaps two paper-clips, sufficiently manipulated may allow good contact to be made to the left-hand terminals of the socket.

(2) Take a standard LJU2/3A extension socket from my grotto.

(3) Connect a short length of CW1308 specification twisted pair to the 2- & 5- terminals of the LJU2/3A. Solder the other end of the twisted pair to the manipulated paper-clips.

(4) Having identified the A- & B- wires of the incoming service pair (using a DVM, with the +ve probe connected to a good earth), connect my temporary test socket by plugging in the paper-clips.

(5) Perform all the usual "test socket" experiments.

I would also grumble, firmly but politely to my ISP/CP about the lack of a suitable test socket due to the presence of an XNTE. If you do ever manage to get an Openreach technician to attend, s/he now has the authority to by-pass the XNTE -- just using it as an external junction box, nothing more -- and to fit a standard NTE5/A within your home.

(My thanks are due to Black Sheep, for providing the information regarding what Openreach technicians are now allowed to do when attending a site where an XNTE is currently fitted.)

Regarding your noise issue, I would like to see a few day's worth of RouterStats graphs (for example).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:12:52 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

xS0ViiET

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »

How would one go about using routerstats on a linux machine? As for your other advice I really appreciate it but it seems a little advanced myself when im not very good with the technical side of things.  :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »

You can run Routerststats in Linux using Wine. The full Routerstats program has some issues, but Routerstats-Lite runs perfectly. See http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Routerstats .
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »

Morning xS0ViiET,

Easiest solution:

... I would also grumble, firmly but politely to my ISP/CP about the lack of a suitable test socket due to the presence of an XNTE. If you do ever manage to get an Openreach technician to attend, s/he now has the authority to by-pass the XNTE -- just using it as an external junction box, nothing more -- and to fit a standard NTE5/A within your home.

(My thanks are due to Black Sheep, for providing the information regarding what Openreach technicians are now allowed to do when attending a site where an XNTE is currently fitted.)

This is usually the best route to take due to the nature of the Technical Level needed. This will also have the engineer test the rest of the network for any other issues and future proof your connection going forward.

Make sure you test other things first, such as filters and a new modem, to rule thses out.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

xS0ViiET

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »

You can run Routerststats in Linux using Wine. The full Routerstats program has some issues, but Routerstats-Lite runs perfectly. See http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php?title=Routerstats .

Thank you got it working  :)

Morning xS0ViiET,

Easiest solution:

... I would also grumble, firmly but politely to my ISP/CP about the lack of a suitable test socket due to the presence of an XNTE. If you do ever manage to get an Openreach technician to attend, s/he now has the authority to by-pass the XNTE -- just using it as an external junction box, nothing more -- and to fit a standard NTE5/A within your home.

This is usually the best route to take due to the nature of the Technical Level needed. This will also have the engineer test the rest of the network for any other issues and future proof your connection going forward.

Make sure you test other things first, such as filters and a new modem, to rule thses out.

I have tested 3 routers and numerous filters and cables. Be* initially sent me a new router when the problems started, it is now sat in a cupboard. How would I get Be on board with changing the nte their support in my opinion is not as good as it is made out to be.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »

I would think asking them to raise a fault in thier systems would be the best way. I would not ask specifically for them to raise the issue just for the NTE5, I would suggest saying that you would like a fault raised and then ask the engineer politely if he would fit a new socket as part of the initial repair process.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

anything