Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v0.9 released  (Read 13878 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v0.9 released
« on: September 11, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »

- added option to plot CRC and FEC errors
- added 'Stats' page
- bitloading graph is now rescaled when SNR per tone exceeds 50 dB (really)
- fixed wrong DSL uptime shown with some routers (really)
- fixed wandering/disappearing "Take snapshot" button
- fixed lockup when resizing the window to a very small size
- tidied up some aspects of the graph presentation

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v0.9 released
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:55 PM »

Thank you Eric. Version 0.9 is currently being downloaded to The Cattery:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »

I hope you enjoy it. :)
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »

Well I have it running on my backup Linux PC and it seems very sluggish although the system monitor does not show it is eating cpu. However I will test again when my main PC is running again in a few days time as this PC is a tad flaky.

The system up time does not show what I expected though. Currently it says 2568 hours 42 minutes 16 seconds which is probably the time since last boot or power cycle, what I was hoping it would show is what shows on the routers status page of 'Internet Connection Up Time : 28 days, 11 hours, 26 minutes, 44 seconds' which equates to 683 hours, this value is of much more value than the total up time. Is it possible to do this for the D-Link 2740B?

So far re-sizing has not lost the snapshot button, but at least on this PC the font size in the configuration panel is too large especially in the dropdown boxes.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:06:00 AM »

Thanks for the report Stuart.

Well I have it running on my backup Linux PC and it seems very sluggish although the system monitor does not show it is eating cpu. However I will test again when my main PC is running again in a few days time as this PC is a tad flaky.

It's certainly sluggish during the 'Sampling' period, which is a significant proportion of the total time. A task I've been rather putting off (because it's difficult) is making it into a multi-threaded application, which should deal with the issue. That's my next job, apart from dealing with any significant bugs in the present version.

The system up time does not show what I expected though. Currently it says 2568 hours 42 minutes 16 seconds which is probably the time since last boot or power cycle, what I was hoping it would show is what shows on the routers status page of 'Internet Connection Up Time : 28 days, 11 hours, 26 minutes, 44 seconds' which equates to 683 hours, this value is of much more value than the total up time. Is it possible to do this for the D-Link 2740B?

I'm sure it's possible, I'll just have to delve further.

So far re-sizing has not lost the snapshot button, but at least on this PC the font size in the configuration panel is too large especially in the dropdown boxes.

Fonts can be a bit of a pain in the neck in Linux programming, but I think I know what to do about this.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 10:35:27 AM »

I've uploaded a version 0.91 (for 32-bit Linux only) with smaller fonts than v0.90. The 64-bit Linux and 32-bit Windows versions already have the smaller fonts.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 06:38:49 PM »

Eric Firefox cannot open the 0,.91 version for downloading, it complains about re-direction being done in a way which will never complete!

Stuart

PS I have my main PC back today so will be able to test better now.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »

I think that must have been a temporary hiccup in Google Docs, Stuart. I just tried it (as a normal user, without signing in), and it downloaded normally.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »

Well FF still refuses to do it but Crome did work so I have it now.

Stuart

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 08:05:58 PM »

Sluggishness noticed on the other PC is not there now. I did wonder if it was the other PC, yes it is a tad slow if sampling but not unmanageable. Fonts so far look fine now. Be nice if you could sort the uptime thing at some stage. I'll leave it running and see how it goes.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »

Well FF still refuses to do it but Crome did work so I have it now.

Stuart

That's a bit strange. The sharing configuration for that file is exactly the same as all the others, and Firefox has no trouble with it here. I'm afraid I'm baffled by this.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »

Sluggishness noticed on the other PC is not there now. I did wonder if it was the other PC, yes it is a tad slow if sampling but not unmanageable. Fonts so far look fine now. Be nice if you could sort the uptime thing at some stage. I'll leave it running and see how it goes.

Stuart

I'm pondering the uptime problem at the moment. One other suggestion that was made is to use the superframes (SF) figure, and I can get an uptime of the right order from this, but it's inconsistent between different routers, and I don't think it's provided at all on VDSL2 systems. There was a discussion about this some time ago on the Routerstats forum, and I think John ended up tearing his hair out over it. :)
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »

Stuart

I'm pondering the uptime problem at the moment. One other suggestion that was made is to use the superframes (SF) figure, and I can get an uptime of the right order from this, but it's inconsistent between different routers, and I don't think it's provided at all on VDSL2 systems. There was a discussion about this some time ago on the Routerstats forum, and I think John ended up tearing his hair out over it. :)

I've looked much more closely at this, and I've concluded that, with some routers such as the 2740B, the current DSL uptime simply isn't available in any of the telnet stats. The AS and SF figures both give some approximation to total uptime (although they resolve to somewhat different figures). So, for the moment at least, I can't meet your request. I've added an option in the configuration section to choose AF or SF as the source of the uptime information, and I've added 'days' to the displayed uptime where it's more than 24 hours.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 05:43:11 PM »

Eric I appreciate that, I am puzzled that the web interface manages to display a figure but they telnet data seems not to contain it, I might have a play and see if there is any way to get this value.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 06:38:28 PM »

I look at the Status --> Device Information page of the GUI of the HG612 and see "System up time  24 days 22 hours 46 minutes 58 seconds ". That is when the device was last power cycled, thus (re-)booted.

I look at the Status --> WAN --> xDSL page of the GUI of the HG612 and see "DSL up time  1405793". Assuming that to be in seconds, it is equivalent to 16 days, 6 hours, 29 minutes and 53 seconds.

Looking in the modem log, I see the line "2012-8-29 10:51:56 Notice 104505 PPP dial-up succeed".

I look at the bottom of the SNR Margin screen of rs-ux and see "DSL connection uptime: 363 hours 5 min 10 sec".

It seems as if rs-ux is reporting in the correct order of magnitude for the xDSL uptime.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything