Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Configure HG612 so it handles the PPPOE but remains bridged  (Read 16473 times)

SolidCactus

• Just arrived
Configure HG612 so it handles the PPPOE but remains bridged
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:07:30 AM »

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been answered before but I have searched but couldn't get to the bottom of this. I could really do with some advice if some one has configured/setup this up before.

I have an unlocked HG612 and I would like HG612 handle the PPPoE connection and bridges pure Ethernet over LAN1 so I can have a more open dedicated router handle the NAT.

So it's very much like the default setup except the PPP is handled by the HG612.

Has anyone accomplished this or does anyone know the steps I would need to take to get this setup?

Any help/tips/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Luke

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Configure HG612 so it handles the PPPOE but remains bridged
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »

Hello Luke and welcome to the Kitz forum.

Essentially, what you are asking about is a no-go nonsense. Either the modem side of the device is in bridge mode -- where it just acts as a "converter" and takes the signal to/from VDSL2 from/to Ethernet presentation format -- or the modem is connected to the rest of the internal hardware and the latter provides the service authentication, NAT, DHCP, firewalling, etc, dependent upon other configuration options.

Looking in my notes, I find the following --

Once unlocked, make sure you are plugged into the modem via LAN 2 not LAN 1
and login at http://192.168.1.1 with admin/admin as the username/password.

On the left, go to Basic > WAN
Under Port Binding untick LAN 1 and LAN 2
Connection Mode: Route
Connection Type: PPPoE
User name: Your FTTC username
Password: Your FTTC password

Click on Submit

The modem will now handle the PPPoE connection.

To have it give out IP address via DHCP, go to Basic > LAN on the left
and simply tick the Enable DHCP server box, then click on Submit.

I have failed to note from whence I copied the above, so I am unable to give the credit that is due.

That is the "closest" method possible to your requested usage mode, of which that I am aware.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

SolidCactus

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »

Hi burakkucat,

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if I configured the above but didn't enable DHCP on the modem would this suffice?

I would like to use a device that didn't have a PPPoE client but could handle DHCP on the WAN.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks again!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:52:18 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering if I configured the above but didn't enable DHCP on the modem would this suffice?

As I do not have a FTTC Broadband service, I am unable to check but the above does read as if it should present the WAN IP address to the LAN side. I.e. no NAT, no WAN-side DHCP client, no LAN-side DHCP server. Why not just try it?  ;)

I would like to use a device that didn't have a PPPoE client but could handle DHCP on the WAN.

I assume that is a typo? As I'm reading LAN, rather than WAN. When I am thinking about either a Huawei HG612 or an ECI B-FOCuS modem/router, I regard everything connected via the RJ11 socket marked xDSL as the WAN and everything connected to either of the two RJ45 sockets as the LAN.

SolidCactus

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »

I will give it shot and let you know as soon as I can schedule an outage with the other half!

As for the second part from a pure fire walling perspective the Ethernet cable leaving the modem and entering my firewall I would call the WAN.

Thanks again for your help. Will keep everyone updated.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »

I will give it shot and let you know as soon as I can schedule an outage with the other half!

Ah, SWMBO has defined T&Cs.  :-\

As for the second part from a pure fire walling perspective the Ethernet cable leaving the modem and entering my firewall I would call the WAN.

I'm with you, now.  ;)

Thanks again for your help. Will keep everyone updated.

You're welcome and yes, please do.  :)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:36 PM »

I have been trying to do this too but I do not believe the above instructions will work as plain routing mode would need a second IP address to assign to your router, as the HG612 would get the main IP address assigned to it.

In order to do it with a single IP address you have to employ a kind of PPP bridging.  The HG612 appears to support this, its a tick box called DHCP Spoofing on the page you configure route/bridge mode stuff.

The theory is that the HG612 assigns the IP address received from PPP to your router via DHCP.  It then configures the ARP table so that your router "thinks" the HG612 is the P-t-P router at your ISP, the HG612 then forwards any traffic bound for the P-t-P IP address over the PPP connection to the REAL router at your ISP.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on the current firmware as it never gives out the DHCP lease.

I would think as we have the router source code that someone could fix it, but sadly its way beyond my abilities.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:26:47 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

haggismn

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:53:57 AM »

Hi there
I don't know if anyone is still interested. I thought I would bump this topic anyway, as this IP spoofing feature is working correctly for me.

After enabling DHCP spoofing in the WAN section, you also need to enable the DHCP server in the LAN section.

Set "WAN-side address allocation mode" to Passthrough and associated connection to ptm1.101. DHCP port transparent transmission should be disabled. You can leave the MAC section blank or add the router's WAN interface's MAC address.

After this is done correctly, the router, PC or whatever, should be given the ISP assigned IP address inside a fake /24 subnet, with HG612's IP as the gateway.

eg
HG612/default gateway  - 192.168.0.1
WAN IP - 84.65.65.200
subnet - 255.255.255.0

Using a PC, this seemed to work ok in Linux. However my router (ddwrt software, busybox udhcpc) didn't work with this, as the HG612 is using an IP outside of the assigned network's subnet. You must manually add a route to the HG612 and then set it as the default gateway, which is a nuisance. However, a quick workaround is to give the HG612 an IP inside this fake subnet. If you have a static/sticky IP then it can work as a long term solution.

HG612/default gateway  - 84.65.65.1
WAN IP - 84.65.65.200
subnet - 255.255.255.0

Now the router doesn't have to guess where the gateway is. This method will definitely work fine on all routers. You won't need to set up PPPOE any more or use DMZ.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »

Sounds more trouble than its worth in my case (originally wanted to do it as PPPoE was maxing out my routers CPU), but still interesting to know it can be done, thanks.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

hop

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 11:18:11 AM »

Hi there
I don't know if anyone is still interested. I thought I would bump this topic anyway, as this IP spoofing feature is working correctly for me.

Using a PC, this seemed to work ok in Linux. However my router (ddwrt software, busybox udhcpc) didn't work with this, as the HG612 is using an IP outside of the assigned network's subnet. You must manually add a route to the HG612 and then set it as the default gateway, which is a nuisance. However, a quick workaround is to give the HG612 an IP inside this fake subnet. If you have a static/sticky IP then it can work as a long term solution.

While I'd really love to know exactly how to manually add the route and do this more 'properly' so my router can use DHCP with the HG612 (rather than setting it up as static), my love for you in terms of this working so well, cannot be overstated, especially considering the issues I'd been having with it running in bridge mode. PPPoA also seems to be a tad faster than using PPPoE was as well :D.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 12:04:14 PM by hop »

redbull2k14

• Just arrived
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 05:06:19 PM »

i have done the below
Hi there

After enabling DHCP spoofing in the WAN section, you also need to enable the DHCP server in the LAN section.

Set "WAN-side address allocation mode" to Passthrough and associated connection to ptm1.101. DHCP port transparent transmission should be disabled. You can leave the MAC section blank or add the router's WAN interface's MAC address.

this is where im stuck
After this is done correctly, the router, PC or whatever, should be given the ISP assigned IP address inside a fake /24 subnet, with HG612's IP as the gateway.
HG612/default gateway  - 84.65.65.1
WAN IP - 84.65.65.200
subnet - 255.255.255.0
Now the router doesn't have to guess where the gateway is. This method will definitely work fine on all routers. You won't need to set up PPPOE any more or use DMZ.

I have a static ip from my isp what settings do i put in my router?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 06:02:31 PM »

Give this address to the HG612 and tell the router to use this as the default gateway  - 84.65.65.1 <-  the first 3 octets of your static ip address followed by .1
Tell the router this is it's IP address - 84.65.65.200 <- your static IP address
Tell the router to use this subnet - 255.255.255.0

redbull2k14

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2016, 06:16:43 PM »

I understand that bit now thanks.

tureka

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 08:37:54 PM »

I was using this solution on ADSL and Dynamic IP but the gateway was assigned by ISP and it was always the same beside of Public IP address.
I am obtaining Public IP on my WAN card on Debian Box connected to BT broadband but can't get connection. Any advice to add route or gateway to my connection?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 08:41:25 PM by tureka »