Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: old phone sockets  (Read 3713 times)

biglurch

• Just arrived
old phone sockets
« on: September 07, 2012, 12:44:21 PM »

Hi,
i have old style phone sockets that i want to change or update to nte5. I currently have a small black box about 4inn square on the outside of my house with the main line connected to it, from this box there are two extensions, 1 to my lounge and 1 to the bedroom. I was hoping they were just a double cable in them so that i could put a new nte5 socket next to the one in the lounge and link it in from A/B to 2/5 but they actually have 6 coloured wires, is there a way of doing this or do i need bt to do it.
thanks for any help

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: old phone sockets
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:51:24 PM »

From an external box then its most certainly BT's responsibility to tackle this.

Firstly as there are 2 cables running from the external box you may have star wiring. That it to say, instead of the line comming into one socket then all extentions wired from there. The wiring splits off to different sockets before going to any one socket or an nte. This would need to be corrected.

The only way to check is to see how its wired within that box.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »

I would suggest that you contact your ISP / CP and state that --

There is no NTE5/A currently present at your property. The wiring appears to be of the "star" orientation and that you would like it to be normalised by Openreach, thus having an NTE5/A fitted. You have been advised that such a normalisation task should be FOC and you would appreciate an appointment for an Openreach technician to attend to the job.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

biglurch

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:06:58 PM »

Hi thanks for your replies, i have checked my wiring again and should have said there is only one wire coming from the external black box, this first goes into the bedroom then comes out again and goes into the lounge (the socket i use as master). The cable contains 6 multicoloured wires and not the 2 copper wires i was expecting.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »

Ah, thank you for the clarification. That makes the job even easier . . . but it is still a FOC Openreach task to do it.

The six wires that you see are arranged into three twisted pairs. I suspect that a close inspection will show you that there is a green pair, a blue pair and an orange pair. Each pair consists of a coloured wire with a white stripe and a white wire with the matching coloured stripe. Please see the Internal Wiring page of the Kitz wiki for more details.

Of the two sockets currently present, which would you like to become the NTP and be replaced with an NTE5/A? It would be best to clarify that before you have an Openreach technician attend to the task. For the best Broadband service connection, it would be most appropriate to use a centralised filter at the NTE5/A and connect you modem router to the RJ-45 / RJ-11 socket there with the shortest, good quality patch cable. The other socket in your home will then become just a telephony-only socket.

biglurch

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »

thanks for your help. I intend to leave the bedroom wire as a simple phone extension and would like to get the lounge set up with the nte5/a socket ready for my router connection. will openreach definitely do this for free?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »

It is currently a FOC service to normalise the wiring at an EU's premises. Until such time as that is done they, Openreach, are responsible for all the wring and all sockets fitted.

Assuming that all the wiring, currently in situ, is in good condition the technician should -- in the bedroom -- connect one pair of the three-pair cable directly to the incoming service pair with gel crimps. Downstairs, replace the existing socket with an NTE5/A and connect the same coloured pair to the rear terminals of that new socket. A second coloured pair in that three-pair cable is then selected and are connected to the IDC2 & IDC5 terminals of the lower front face-plate. Back in the bedroom, the second coloured pair is then connected to the ID2 & IDC5 terminals of that socket.

If you have been allocated a well-qualified technician to perform the job, s/he may well fit a new extension socket in the bedroom (rather than reuse the old one) and install a SSFP (a centralised filter) at the NTE5/A at the same time. (A mug of tea or coffee, biscuits or a bacon sandwich have all been know to transform a good job done well into an excellent service. ;)  )

biglurch

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 08:31:08 PM »

Brilliant thanks for your help, i will contact bt on monday, thanks again  :thumbs:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 08:33:29 PM »

Please let us know how things go.  :)