Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Failed Infinity Install, Excuse from BT seems a little suspicious  (Read 3698 times)

verkosh

Failed Infinity Install, Excuse from BT seems a little suspicious
« on: September 07, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »

I was due to have FTTC from BT installed yesterday and the engineer came at around 12pm and looked around at the phone sockets in the house.

Rather than convert the socket in my bedroom, which is directly behind my computer into the master and then backwire the other extensions back in he decided to run a data extension kit from the at that time hard to reach master socket to my room and asked me to clear space around the current master socket while he went to do the necessary work at the cabinet and said he'd be back shortly.

However he never returned and when i rang BT to enquire what was happening they claimed the engineer found a fault at the street cabinet and that would have to be fixed before my internet could be installed.

What are the chances of this story being true?  Or was it just the engineer whose likely overworked going on to an easier installation to keep up qoutas rather than spend time on a tricky one.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Failed Infinity Install, Excuse from BT seems a little suspicious
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:41:29 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

However he never returned and when i rang BT to enquire what was happening they claimed the engineer found a fault at the street cabinet and that would have to be fixed before my internet could be installed.

The fact that he failed to make a simple telephone call to advise you of that fact is deplorable.  :-X

What are the chances of this story being true?

My estimate? About 49-1. (I.e. 98% probability of being true.) Unfortunately cabinet problems are not discovered until the time it is opened and the jumpering is about to be adjusted.  :(

Or was it just the engineer whose likely overworked going on to an easier installation to keep up qoutas rather than spend time on a tricky one.

From what you have described, your installation should not be classified as tricky but fairly standard.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 08:13:59 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

verkosh

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »

New appointments made for the 24th, So a long wait :(

It's a shame the engineer couldnt fix the cabinet fault and then return with the modem and cable everything up but i suppose maybe someone else would have to fix the cabinet fault.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:26:51 PM »

New appointments made for the 24th, So a long wait :(

That is unfortunate.

It's a shame the engineer couldnt fix the cabinet fault and then return with the modem and cable everything up but i suppose maybe someone else would have to fix the cabinet fault.

Please be aware that the installing technician would be a member of Openreach staff. They are only allowed to access the PCP. If the problem is located in the FTTC, then an Operate staff member would have to be tasked to deal with it.

It is not very well known that the FTTCs are classified as part of the exchange equipment, so an exchange technician would be required to attend to any issues therein.

Also, for completeness, I shall mention that the newly named division, BT Operate, consists of those persons who work on exchange equipment whereas those who work on the external "last mile" line plant up to the NTP in an EU's premises are BT Openreach.

(My thanks are due to Black Sheep, our own tame Openreach technician, for explaining the above division to me.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

verkosh

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »

Well I've learnt something new. I didn't know about BT Operate and thought Openreach fixed everything.

All in all I will have been waiting over a month when it gets installed on the 24th as I ordered the infinity on the 20th August.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »

Well, seeing as I've got full Internet access from my sunbed, I thought I'd respond.

There are a number of reasons as to why the engineer couldn't complete the task. The most likely is that the actual fibre cab hasn't been switched on. There could also be an issue with the ports if it is actually switched on. He will probably have tried a couple of lift and shifts if this was the case, but obviously to no avail.

I fully agree with Mr Cat, in that it is deplorable he didn't contact you to make you aware. My only disclaimer is that I have been in a similar position and the EU didn't answer either moby or landline and had in fact left his premises as well. he may have only been nipping to the shop but still.

My FTTC attack is opposite to the Openreach guidelines. I always visit the cab first to maintain I can get the required synch and speed before visiting the EU. I would rather let them down gently over the phone than have them redecorate their house and have their hopes built up that they're soon to get fibre speeds.

I have to say that they have got their act together on this kind of issue, and it is very rare the situation the OP is facing, now occurs.

verkosh

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »

Thanks for the response Black Sheep.

Hopefully whatever disrupted the installation last time will be solved  by the next scheduled appointment for install on the 24th.

anything