Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lan Direct to HG612  (Read 15961 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Lan Direct to HG612
« on: September 06, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »

I was checking to-day to see if I could Byepass the HH3 and connect my PC direct to the HG612 by lan to port 1 of the HG612 !

It will not connect to Internet ? My HG612 homepage is 192.168.1.1 & the Router is 192.168.1.254

Ixel

• Kitizen
Re: Lan Direct to HG612
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:45:48 PM »

Did you setup the PPPoE settings on the HG612 and change it from bridged to routing mode?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »

No I thought the HG612 would automatically connect direct to PC without me have to make changes inside the HG612.

I see talktalk users doing this for testing purposes and they don't need to make any ajustments to the HG612 as theres are locked.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:14:55 PM »

Is this the setting

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »

The only way you can connect directly to the router in locked mode is if you make a PPPoE connection on your PC, at least for BT anyway, I don't know if the same concept of PPPoE authentication applies to other ISP's such as TalkTalk. The connection you're interested in is ptm1.101 by the way. The connection for ptm1.301 is TR-069, in other words BT's backdoor to modifying your router configuration or updating the firmware. Hope this clarifies.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »

Its ok Ixel I have BT as my ISP and it is a unlocked Modem, I was looking at the Talktalk forum and they can connect directly to the HG612 for testing purpose's

I did try the setting in ptm1.101 and change it to route with PPPoE but still cant connect directly to the HG612  :(

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:59:48 PM by NewtronStar »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 02:10:55 AM »

For a BT Infinity service, the user credentials required to login in to the service are those as stored in the BT HH --

Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password XXXXXXXX
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 05:58:22 PM »

Cheers BE1 & BC

I though it would be straight forward  :(  like sticking the lan straight to hg612 ! but I can see now
with your links & advice what needs to be done.

So the HH3 is doing all the authentication stuff for me , would that meen the hg612 for TT ISP are pre conifgured ?

biohead

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 07:15:10 PM »

Talktalk has network level authentication - basically it works out who you are by what line you're connected to - so no usernames and passwords are required at all now.

The modems used for a Talktalk fibre install are exactly the same as those for a BT Infinity install - no setup differences at all.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 07:27:58 PM »

If you have a FFTC Broadband service, it is identical for every ISP / CP who ultimately provides it. They are just reselling Openreach's NGA GEA service and the link to / from you from / to the cabinet is VDSL2, using the metallic pair.

The modem installed for a FTTC service is either the Huawei HG612 or the ECI B-FOCuS and they both are configured identically. They operate in pure bridge mode, just translating the physical presence of the signal from VDSL2 to Ethernet. Hence all service authentication is performed by the ISP / CP provided router. If the EU does not want (or need) to use the provided router, one system can be connected directly to the modem. That system will have to provide the service authentication details (normally provided by the router) and, most importantly, will need to have a reliable firewall (which would have been provided by the router).

If, like Asbokid and myself, you do not have a FTTC Broadband service but have either an ADSL2+, ADSL2 or G.Dmt service and have purchased a Huawei HG612 to use as a Broadcom based modem / router, then the (unfinished) documentation within the Kitz wiki on the Huawei EchoLife HG612 Home Gateway should be consulted. (b*cat acknowledges that he must finish that article . . .  :blush:  )

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 07:32:34 PM »

Thanks Biohead

Its still does not clear up why TT customers can gain access to FTTC router directly and why BT customers need to make changes to gain access to directly connect to Modem ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 07:55:34 PM »

Consider the modem to simply be a "converter-box". (In bridge mode, that is essentially all it does.)

For TalkTalk customers, the service authentication is based on the CLI that the equipment can read. For BT Infinity customers, the service authentication is based on a login / password mechanism and those strings are stored in the router.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »

Many thanks burakkucat

I do appreciate your post very helpfull indeed ! good stuff  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »

Consider the modem to simply be a "converter-box". (In bridge mode, that is essentially all it does.)

For TalkTalk customers, the service authentication is based on the CLI that the equipment can read. For BT Infinity customers, the service authentication is based on a login / password mechanism and those strings are stored in the router.

The strings stored in the HH3 will it be the same User Name & Password I used to disable BT Fone on the HH3.0A ?
Pages: [1] 2 3