Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Could somebody check my logs and see if there any problems please  (Read 33537 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Could somebody check my logs and see if there any problems please
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »

Could somebody (Bald_Eagle?) take a look at my logs and see if anything looks odd please, as I think it does to me.

I seem to get a lot of disconnections/reconnection's, I unpluged the RJ11 lead yesterday about 19:00 to check wiring, and apart from a couple of times over the last couple of weeks that I've rebooted the HG612 thats all.

Today I noticed it had re-synced about 15:00, and whilst looking at the HG612 internal logs noticed the date/time had reset, and going by the time it was the same time as the re-sync, but I thought the date only went back to 2000 when the power was turned off - which mine can't of been - it's on a 1500VA UPS along with my server and other networking gear, and the server logs showed no problems.

My speeds seem slower than others mention for the distance from the cab (although all lines are different), which is about 450 meters, the BT estimate was for 57/20. I initially had an attainable rate of 55, then it dropped to below 50, at one point I had a line rate of 45. I've also noticed sometimes that the attainable rate is lower than the line rate, both up and down. All lines are underground, and were installed in the mid 70s, internal cabling consists of about 3 meters of Cat5e STP from the original master socket location, where the line enters the house to the new master socket, with the modem sat just above. It probably is in quite a noisy electrical environment, here's a pic and the other side of the wall is where the consumer unit is.

The connection has been reliable and does seem very quick, although I did have one or two instances where the internet became very unresponsive, one case was on 26 August around 9pm, I noticed FEC errors shot up and rebooting the HG612 seemed to solve the problem. This is my TBB ping graph from that evening.

I've got BA's excellent scripts running 24/7 on my WHS2011, and the graphing performed on my office PC, all works a treat, but I did download the latest Graph6 batch file posted on Kitz today, but can't seem to fathom out where it's getting it's data from, it appears to be looking for a Plink.log file in the apps folder, but this neither exists on my server or pc. And when I run it just tells me that plink.log does not exist, and the old Graph6 batch file does the same, am I missing something?

I've uploaded all my graphs to Dropbox and I have a live TBB ping graph here. The most recent ongoing stats cover the whole period I've had FTTC from about 20 minutes after the BT Technician left.

My HG612 was acquired off eBay and is a version 3B, when my fibre was installed BT also supplied a HG612 even though I believe we are on an ECI cab.

Sorry for the long post.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Could somebody check my logs and see if there any problems please
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 11:48:21 PM »

Could somebody (Bald_Eagle?) take a look at my logs and see if anything looks odd please, as I think it does to me.

I seem to get a lot of disconnections/reconnection's, I unpluged the RJ11 lead yesterday about 19:00 to check wiring, and apart from a couple of times over the last couple of weeks that I've rebooted the HG612 thats all.

Today I noticed it had re-synced about 15:00, and whilst looking at the HG612 internal logs noticed the date/time had reset, and going by the time it was the same time as the re-sync, but I thought the date only went back to 2000 when the power was turned off - which mine can't of been - it's on a 1500VA UPS along with my server and other networking gear, and the server logs showed no problems.

I have seen the internal clock reset to the year 2000 after a reboot or as you say the power turned off, but not following an "on the fly" resync.

My speeds seem slower than others mention for the distance from the cab (although all lines are different), which is about 450 meters, the BT estimate was for 57/20. I initially had an attainable rate of 55, then it dropped to below 50, at one point I had a line rate of 45. I've also noticed sometimes that the attainable rate is lower than the line rate, both up and down. All lines are underground, and were installed in the mid 70s, internal cabling consists of about 3 meters of Cat5e STP from the original master socket location, where the line enters the house to the new master socket, with the modem sat just above. It probably is in quite a noisy electrical environment, here's a pic and the other side of the wall is where the consumer unit is.

When my connection was "faulty" (various issues) I would often see lower attainable rates than sync speeds.
SNRM was always very low at those times, my logs showing the connection had synced at say 6dB SNRM at a speed very close to attainable rates, as SNRM gradually tailed off to as low as 1.5dB to 2 dB or so, the attainable rates would end up lower than actual sync (& throughput) speeds.

The connection has been reliable and does seem very quick, although I did have one or two instances where the internet became very unresponsive, one case was on 26 August around 9pm, I noticed FEC errors shot up and rebooting the HG612 seemed to solve the problem. This is my TBB ping graph from that evening.

You mentioned higher up the post that you get a lot of disconnections/reconnections.
I wouldn't describe that as a reliable FTTC/VDSL2 connection.
Many FTTC users don't see a disconnection for weeks on end, with almost non-existent error counts.

Although my connection has been repaired, I still see some noise & errors (mainly RSCorr / FEC type errors), but it does now stay connected more or less until I intentionally cause a resync/reboot.

I've got BA's excellent scripts running 24/7 on my WHS2011, and the graphing performed on my office PC, all works a treat, but I did download the latest Graph6 batch file posted on Kitz today, but can't seem to fathom out where it's getting it's data from, it appears to be looking for a Plink.log file in the apps folder, but this neither exists on my server or pc. And when I run it just tells me that plink.log does not exist, and the old Graph6 batch file does the same, am I missing something?

GRAPH6.BAT is the graphing part, called at the end of TestStats2.BAT after new "snapshot" data has been harvested.

Running GRAPH6 on its own won't generate any graphs.
However, dragging & dropping a valid Plink or PuTTy log in the correct format onto it will generate graphs in the same folder as the Plink or PuTTy.log

So you could re-graph your old logs in the new format whenever you wanted to.
I have attached graphs from your Plink.log using that method.

Any new data obtained via TestStats2.BAT should be in the new format anyway (assuming the new GRAPH6.BAT is in the Scripts folder).

I've uploaded all my graphs to Dropbox and I have a live TBB ping graph here. The most recent ongoing stats cover the whole period I've had FTTC from about 20 minutes after the BT Technician left.

My HG612 was acquired off eBay and is a version 3B, when my fibre was installed BT also supplied a HG612 even though I believe we are on an ECI cab.

Sorry for the long post.

Could you post a modem_stats.log anywhere (as large as possible, say 20Mb to 30Mb or larger) that I could download it & graph the data at my end for easier study?

EDIT:
Yes, I can tell from the specific tones listed in Discovery Phase of your pbParams data that you are indeed connected to an ECI DSLAM.

This is what it looks like for a Huawei DSLAM:-
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:51:40 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:11:20 AM »

Thank you for taking look, I've not had chance to fully digest what you've written as I'm supposed to be leaving for work :-(

I've copied the log file to the Dropbox folder, it's only 5mb, but has been running since my install on the 20th August, also added another set of graphs using the new graph6.

Seemed to have had another resync overnight.

I'm with Plus Net as well, so at least they will be familiar with your graphs :-)

Anyway time to go to work.

Thanks

Ron.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:14:39 AM by Ronski »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »

Very quickly (I'm supposed to be at work too  :()..............

I have downloaded the log & will have a closer look at things tonight.

In the meantime, just for fun, I just plotted 16 days worth of data (attached).

Ignore the blank Error Seconds graphs. Your script version (getstats.BAT) doesn't deal with that data.

If you want to test the as yet unreleased updated version, let me know & I'll post it somewhere.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »

I'd be more than happy to test the updated scripts for you.

Is there an explanation somewhere as to what the graphs mean and the implications? Some are quite obvious, others are not so.

When I said the connection was reliable, this was from a usage point of view, but clearly from the resyncs and what you have said it is not.

I wonder whether it would be a good idea to try the new modem that BT left, or even just the RJ11 cable, I'm currently using a twisted pair RJ11 cable which I was using before with my ADSL connection.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »

Is there an explanation somewhere as to what the graphs mean and the implications? Some are quite obvious, others are not so.

When I said the connection was reliable, this was from a usage point of view, but clearly from the resyncs and what you have said it is not.

I wonder whether it would be a good idea to try the new modem that BT left, or even just the RJ11 cable, I'm currently using a twisted pair RJ11 cable which I was using before with my ADSL connection.

Wow, I thought my line had a rather high amount of CRC errors but yours is considerably worse than mine :P. As an experiment I'm currently testing bitswap being disabled, as I wasn't keen on the fact that my DS bitswap was incrementing 1-2 every second. Interestingly the number of CRC errors and their regularity is considerably lower than usual, I will however keep monitoring it for the next few days just to be sure it isn't a lucky day or something. If this keeps up I'm hoping DLM will reduce interleaving further and perhaps eventually put me back at a depth of 1 (fastpath, or as close as anyway).

Very quickly (I'm supposed to be at work too  :()..............

I have downloaded the log & will have a closer look at things tonight.

In the meantime, just for fun, I just plotted 16 days worth of data (attached).

Ignore the blank Error Seconds graphs. Your script version (getstats.BAT) doesn't deal with that data.

If you want to test the as yet unreleased updated version, let me know & I'll post it somewhere.

Those graphs look wonderful, plenty of stats to monitor, can't wait to eventually use them, or (if invited) test them.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »

Send me a PM including an email address that can accept *.EXE & *.BAT attachments (e.g. your Plusnet address) & I'll prepare something for you.

Not really, that I'm aware of.
Basically, straight lines, low numbers and/or blank graphs for ongoing stats = good connection.
Anything else demonstrates differing degrees of "issues".

Some stats only have non-zero data when Interleaving is ON (values of greater than 1 for depth D:). e.g. DS_RSCorr.

"On the fly" resyncs tend to have a Retrain Reason with a value of 2 (from "snapshot" Plink logs).
Reboots/power cycles tend to have a Retrain Reason with a value of 0.

Most (if not all) of these resyncs are initiated by DLM, possibly to turn Interleaving ON/OFF etc.
A large No. of these indiicate either physical cable, or "noise" interference type problems.

I can't see any particular issues leading up to the resync at 04:40 this morning, but the resulting DS sync speed of 53399 K does look suspiciously like a DLM "banded" cap.

The scripts grab stats at 1 minute intervals (usually sufficient to demonstrate overall connection conditions).
It may just be possible that some issue or another was missed by the script between 04:39 & 04:40, but I doubt it.

I initially wondered if perhaps the modem, power supply or RJ11 cable may be faulty.
However, unless the "fault" is too quick to be properly detected, I would have expected Retrain Reasons with values of 0, rather than 2.

It wouldn't do any harm to experiment with different hardware, but just change one item at a time & monitor the stats for say a day or so, in order to eliminate a specific piece of equipment.

Have you unlocked the "new" modem?
To determine whether anything changes or not, it will be essential to see any changes in the stats.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »

... Too long to quote message content ...

Hmm, I suspect the resync at 4:40am~ was caused by DLM, if I'm not mistaken his depth slightly changed, but only by a small amount mind you. I occasionally get a resync around 4am-6am when DLM wants to change something. Also, can I send you a PM or is Ronski only invited to test your upcoming version at the moment?

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:59:44 PM »

Those graphs look wonderful, plenty of stats to monitor, can't wait to eventually use them, or (if invited) test them.

The updated scripts are hopefully only an interim measure. Hence me not releasing them generally.

A couple of us are currently testing a different method of obtaining the stats (intended to be cross-platform compatible with Linux & MS Windows as a compiled 'C' program).

I intend to maintain compatibility with ongoing textual modem_stats logs for the graphing scripts to still work, but even the graphing element is currently being reviewed.

The new harvesting method currently under trial grabs absoulutely everything data-wise, including the kitchen sink full of dirty pots.

I've attached just a trimmed down example of what will be graphable (all being well).

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »

Hmm, I suspect the resync at 4:40am~ was caused by DLM, if I'm not mistaken his depth slightly changed, but only by a small amount mind you. I occasionally get a resync around 4am-6am when DLM wants to change something. Also, can I send you a PM or is Ronski only invited to test your upcoming version at the moment?

I meant the resync at 04:40 THIS morning.
DS Interleaving depth was already at 1 (OFF) at that time.

By all means send me a PM, but please bear in mind that the updated scripts are only beta versions (not fully tested), possibly not ever going into full public release.

They also generate quite a "hefty" sized debugging Error.log that is updated every minute too.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 05:12:41 PM »

I meant the resync at 04:40 THIS morning.
DS Interleaving depth was already at 1 (OFF) at that time.

By all means send me a PM, but please bear in mind that the updated scripts are only beta versions (not fully tested), possibly not ever going into full public release.

They also generate quite a "hefty" sized debugging Error.log that is updated every minute too.

Sorry, my mistake. Ok, I'll PM you, I know what beta stuff but I don't mind :), thanks.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »

Sorry, my mistake. Ok, I'll PM you, I know what beta stuff but I don't mind :), thanks.

Responded with just a couple of tiny queries..............

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 06:29:40 PM »

PM Sent.

Connection seems to have behaved today so far since this morning.

Why would the interleaving suddenly drop to 1? I thought it would gradually come down?

I will hack the new modem, and then test one at a time, I did change the power supply at some point as I had the older black type for some reason and I've switched to the new 1a  white version.

I need to keep a log of when I turn off/reboot the modem, and change out the hardware.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:47:06 PM »

Today I changed the modem to the one BT left when they done the install, this was done around 12:48

Using the internet tonight and everything ground to a halt about 20:20, although I couldn't access any web pages Thunderbird could still check for mail.

Checked the logs and the FEC & HEC errors were racking up, so I left it for a couple of hours, and it was still the same, so rebooted the modem.

I then rebooted my router and after a while all returned to normal.

Looking through the graphs for the last 24 hours, and the last 3 hours I can see that something started to happen around 19:20 and then really kicked in about 20:20.

The above has happened before as described in my first post, so it doesn't seem to be the modem, so I'll monitor for a few days to see if there are any re-syncs and then perhaps change the modem cable, after that I guess I'll have to see what Plus Net have to say.

Graphs and updated logs uploaded to Dropbox

And here's a TBB ping graph
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 01:34:00 PM by Ronski »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »

Today I changed the modem to the one BT left when they done the install, this was done around 12:48

Using the internet tonight and everything ground to a halt about 20:20, although I couldn't access any web pages Thunderbird could still check for mail.

Checked the logs and the FEC & HEC errors were racking up, so I left it for a couple of hours, and it was still the same, so rebooted the modem.

I then rebooted my router and after a while all returned to normal.

Looking through the graphs for the last 24 hours, and the last 3 hours I can see that something started to happen around 19:20 and then really kicked in about 20:20.

The above has happened before as described in my first post this post on TBB forums (forgot to mention it here), so it doesn't seem to be the modem, so I'll monitor for a few days to see if there are any re-syncs and then perhaps change the modem cable, after that I guess I'll have to see what Plus Net have to say.

Graphs and updated logs uploaded to Dropbox

This sounds similar to the problem I had when I first was activated on Infinity. The answer to my problem was a faulty faceplate however, not sure if yours is quite the same solution though, just a suggestion to try if you wish.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

anything