Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Could somebody check my logs and see if there any problems please  (Read 33535 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Could somebody check my logs and see if there any problems please
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 08:09:13 PM »

Modem appeared to crash again today at about 09:40, when I got home I checked the indicator lights and they all appeared normal, it even looked like it was being accessed via the LAN ports, but alas could not login, nor did it show in the router attached devices.

I disconnected the power and reconnected, and could then login, but within a few minutes it crashed again, so I have now got my spare modem out and installed that.

I had 110 hours up time until this morning, so connection has been more constant, but speed hasn't improved.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »

Modem appeared to crash again today at about 09:40

Heat related, maybe? In what orientation do you have the modem? It is a HG612, isn't it? What revision?  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 09:25:05 PM »

I'm cheating. I have my HG612 sitting on top of the watercooling block where three fans blow cool air on and around it :P. Keeps it pretty cool.

On another note, I went back to using the HG612 as a modem since I've found it does sync better than the FB7390 and maintains a stable connection, using the FB as a router now.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 10:33:48 PM »

I don't think so, modems been mounted the same since install date, and this crashing is a resent thing, and we've not turned the heating on yet. Modem did feel warm, but not overly and it is a 3B.

here's a  link to a picture of how it's mounted

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2012, 12:19:58 AM »

Modem did feel warm, but not overly and it is a 3B.

here's a  link to a picture of how it's mounted

:hmm:  Then that's a bit of a puzzle.

I've seen your picture before, somewhere. Isn't the incoming mains supply, meter and distribution control unit on the other side of that wall?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2012, 06:56:42 AM »

Just clutching at straws here.........

Does completely unplugging the cordless phone station have any effect upon error counts etc?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2012, 07:56:12 AM »

Yes the consumer unit and meters are behind that wall, but not directly, here's a sketch I did previously, CS should be CU ;-)

I have moved the Dect phone previously, when I kept having the resyncs, I'll move it again and see if it makes any diffence to the errors. We very rarely use the landline, don't often get calls either, mainly mobiles now.

Both times the modems crashed the logging scripts have also had problems, even after getting the modem up and running again the logging scripts don't function - I had to delete multiple Data$ files and reboot the server this morning (forgot about that last night) - error log file is in drop box.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »

Both times the modems crashed the logging scripts have also had problems, even after getting the modem up and running again the logging scripts don't function - I had to delete multiple Data$ files and reboot the server this morning (forgot about that last night) - error log file is in drop box.

Ah, yes, the 24/7 harvesting script assumes that the modem is connected & working.
It will allow for SOME missed sampling, but eventually stops working.
The reboot will have been needed as multiple instances of CMD.EXE, sleep.EXE & others will have been accumulating.
Very laboriously those tasks can be ended one by one, but the quickest way is to reboot.

Likewise, disconnecting/switching off the modem without stopping the 24/7 logging would eventually have the same effect.

I have ceased further development of the scripts, intending to concentrate on using more efficient *.EXE program(s) to harvest & graph the stats (when time permits).

these *.EXE programs are working in a basic form, but still need further development prior to general release e.g. to include efficient error checking & use a config file for easily definable variables for file locations/IP addresses etc.

Looking at your error.log, the issue appeared to start at 09:54 on the morning of 4th October.

I only ever saw similar symptoms when my virus checker completely hogged my PC resources, slowing the operation of the scripts down & occasionally causing more than one sample to be obtained within the 1 minute sampling period.

The scripts could usually cope with a few of these occurences within the 1 minute period, but it looks like something caused much more of an issue on your connection.
Was some other software or a massive download/server backup etc. running around that time that may have caused it?

Of course, it may well have been the modem locking up that caused the harvesting script to fail.
I wonder if it is becoming "faulty".

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »

Hi Paul,

I mention problems with the scripts, just in case the problem lies within the program logic, and is therefore transferred over to the EXE version. For instance shouldn't there be some form of check to see if the modem is accessible before starting these other programs? Also any temp files should be in a temporary folder.

The server doesn't really do much, back ups of all PCs are taken around 2pm, and cloud backup takes place from midnight to 8am. General file storage, and storage of Media Centre recorded TV. I think the problems with the modem may of triggered it, however continue reading.....

This is strange, although the modem all seems ok, my server has 508 processes running, poor things running flat out, loads of cmd,taskkill, curl etc and there's over a 100 of those data$$ files again. It seems rebooting the server this morning didn't solve the logging problem. Just rebooted it now and it's still creating multiple instances.

Little bit of investigation shows that when running the scripts I get errors: the connection is refused & the program tried to write to a non existent pipe.

Any idea's why I get this, I can login via the IP address

PS. I've switched to my other modem last night, on the assumption the modem was faulty

Edit again: Should also mention this happens whether I run the scripts on the server or the ones on my PC

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:15:35 PM by Ronski »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 09:03:56 PM »

I mention problems with the scripts, just in case the problem lies within the program logic, and is therefore transferred over to the EXE version. For instance shouldn't there be some form of check to see if the modem is accessible before starting these other programs?

The EXE version works quite differently.
It doesn't need any of the "other" programs to harvest the stats as it is all done via the one EXE program.

Also any temp files should be in a temporary folder.

Maybe, but I chose to have them in the Ongoing_Stats folder so that I could easily watch what happens during harvesting.
If the script terminates correctly, the temp files should be deleted.

The EXE version doesn't need to use those temp files.

The server doesn't really do much, back ups of all PCs are taken around 2pm, and cloud backup takes place from midnight to 8am. General file storage, and storage of Media Centre recorded TV. I think the problems with the modem may of triggered it, however continue reading.....

This is strange, although the modem all seems ok, my server has 508 processes running, poor things running flat out, loads of cmd,taskkill, curl etc and there's over a 100 of those data$$ files again. It seems rebooting the server this morning didn't solve the logging problem. Just rebooted it now and it's still creating multiple instances.

Did the scripts work at all following rebooting the server this morning?
Something has triggered the problem.
I see from one of your modem_stats.logs that the script had been running since 20th August, with the updated version running since 22:50, 6th September.

So, unless something has changed the script (maybe corrupted it), the root cause of the issue would appear to be elsewhere.

Little bit of investigation shows that when running the scripts I get errors: the connection is refused & the program tried to write to a non existent pipe.

Any idea's why I get this, I can login via the IP address

I have only seen the attempting to write to a non-existent pipe message when trying to run Teststats2.BAT to obtain snapshot data right in the middle of a 1 minute sampling harvest.
The 24/7 harvesting wasn't disturbed though & running Teststat2.BAT a few seconds later worked again.

Have you started to run Teststats2.BAT on a schedule that maybe clashes with the 1 minute harvest?
In Windows 7, Task Schedules can be staggered by seconds, whereas XP uses only full minutes.
I'm not sure about Vista though.

If so, a sleep command added to Teststats2.BAT can be used to stagger the actual data collection by say 30 seconds to avoid any clashes.
I remotely monitor another connection on a XP laptop, having just the log files emailed to me for graphing from the comfort of my own armchair.
I added a 30 second "sleep" to avoid just such a potential issue.

The 24/7 script takes 20 seconds or so from start to finish.
The EXE version takes less than 2 seconds to harvest & munge even more data.

PS. I've switched to my other modem last night, on the assumption the modem was faulty

Edit again: Should also mention this happens whether I run the scripts on the server or the ones on my PC

If that didn't resolve things, it may be worth stopping the 24/7 harvesting via "STOP_LOGGING_24-7.BAT", deleting the very last row in modem_stats.log to ensure the last entry is "clean" data, rebooting the server if that's where the scripts are run from/data stored, checking that the multiple instances of the programs used by the script have been cleared out & starting to log again via "START_LOGGING_24-7.BAT".

If you had manually set up the every minute schedule, stop it & restart it accordingly instead of using the STOP & START batch files.
In other words, start again almost from a new setup, but using your existing log file.

As a last resort, you could always start again with "clean" script versions & renaming modem_stats.log to force the start of a brand new log.

I hope some of that helps to get things back on track.
If not, it would suggest a possible cabling or PC problem that had suddenly started to cause problems.

The gradually increasing size of modem_stats.log, ERROR.LOG & ES.TXT shouldn't really cause too much of an issue, unless your server is running so slowly that it can't actually process the data within a 1 minute period.
My own modem_stats.log is currently 58836KB in size & previous logs had exceeded that size before archiving them, even when still using the script versions.

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »

I had this problem, where stats would stop logging and multiple processes of the task would occur. The solution for me was to modify the scheduled task so that it terminates if it's still running by the next cycle (1 minute later), I've had no problems since.

I'm still working on my own program, trying to get SSH to work properly so I can fetch the data I require.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »

The solution for me was to modify the scheduled task so that it terminates if it's still running by the next cycle (1 minute later), I've had no problems since.

That might just be the best short term solution (maybe even log term). 

I'm still working on my own program, trying to get SSH to work properly so I can fetch the data I require.

Good luck with that.
What data are you trying to fetch (beyond the data already obtainable via telnet)?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »

The Exe version sounds impressive.

No the scripts did not work after the reboot this morning (hadn't logged anything since yesterday morning), I've disabled the scheduled tasks in task manager for the moment, I rebooted to ensure no rouge processes running. Getstats runs every minute as setup via your batch file, I also have teststats2 scheduled to run at 30 seconds past every hour, has been like this for a month now.

I don't think the scripts are corrupted, it's both scripts getstats & teststats2 on both the server and the PC that have the same errors. If I'm correct Teststats2 doesn't touch the log file, so it cant be a corrupted log file.

I can ping the the modem from both machines, also log in to the modem via it's IP, so doubt it's a cabling issue.

It's almost as if the modem is denying the login via the scripts - I see the scripts use 3 login.txt files, does these login details have to be the same as the login user name and password when you login via the web page, as I've changed the password, but that was before the 20 August.

Server is fairly powerful, it's running an i3 540 @ 3Ghz, I just split the error logs in case their size was causing a problem.

Normal service resumed - thought I'd try rebooting the modem and it cured it, what's going on with my modems  :no:

Thanks for your assistance once again Paul

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »

I had this problem, where stats would stop logging and multiple processes of the task would occur. The solution for me was to modify the scheduled task so that it terminates if it's still running by the next cycle (1 minute later), I've had no problems since.

That thought had occurred to me whilst at work today......and then I had forgotten about it again, thanks for the reminder, I'll update my scheduled tasks to.

I think I'll play some Crysis 2 now.

Edit: How did you modify it? Looking at mine its got: If the task is already running, then the following rule applies: Do not start a new instance.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:11:10 PM by Ronski »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »

Bald_Eagle1: Just the usual stuff from xdslcmd info --stats, but I'm having some problems finding a reliable library that will connect and do what I ask. I will solve it eventually though.

That thought had occurred to me whilst at work today......and then I had forgotten about it again, thanks for the reminder, I'll update my scheduled tasks to.

I think I'll play some Crysis 2 now.

Edit: How did you modify it? Looking at mine its got: If the task is already running, then the following rule applies: Do not start a new instance.

The above screenshot should highlight what I did on my Windows Server 2012 installation for the scheduled task. Also the login, for my HG612, didn't change for the CLI login, only web interface, when I changed my password.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 11:49:15 PM by Ixel »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7