Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mint Linux  (Read 5633 times)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Mint Linux
« on: November 29, 2007, 03:35:35 PM »

I recently tried out Mint Linux on my old Thinkpad 600e and was most impressed with it. It is Ubuntu (and thus Debian) derived but the way it installs and handles practically every known multimedia file format is amazing. I'm still trying to get a PCMCIA NIC working  but trying to join the Mint forum seems to fail so I can't ask there. I wonder if anyone (Eric?) has an email address I can use to tell them about it. But I still think it's a useful distro and worth trying - the iso will run as a live install initially so you can try it without risk.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Mint Linux
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:08:00 PM »

I'm not personally a fan of the *buntu distros, but I have used Mint in the past and registered on their forum. I've got no time just now, but I'll check it out shortly.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 07:10:16 PM »

I've had a look on their forum, and there doesn't seem to be a 'Contacts' page with email addresses. But one thing has occurred to me: I had this problem a year or so ago with another US-based distro (PCLinuxOS). I filled in the registration details but never received the email which was needed to confirm the registration. After some investigation it turned out that emails from that site were being blocked somewhere along the chain, but neither the site admin nor my ISP could find out where or why.

The solution in that case (which became a sticky on their forum) was to register using a GMail/GoogleMail address, because nobody dares to block these. If that's your problem it might be worth trying.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »

That is indeed my problem which I initially thought was due to my using a rarely used email address which I keep for some forum registrations and the like. However I don't think I'll follow up your Gmail/Google mail suggestions - it took me a long time to rid myself of a Google group which insisted on sending me unwanted emails. I'll progress my PCMPIA NIC problem elsewhere. I have a NIC that works with XP in this laptop but I have to change to a different one when I boot into Mint. It's not the end of the world but just irritating.
Thanks for your interest, Eric.
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 09:28:21 PM »

OK then, good luck with your endeavour. There are still 400-odd other distros to try. :)
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 12:23:59 AM »

Just to round off the story (sorry it's taken so long) I eventually set up an alias on my Plusnet address and used that to register on the Mint Forum. Since the Forum said my normal user name of tonyappuk was in use, I believe I quoted the wrong email address in the first go at registering or it got corrupted in some way and they are still waiting for my response to activate membership. Never mind all solved now.
The PCMCIA NIC problem was solved very cheaply with a card bought on Ebay from a man in Hongkong, price £1.65, carriage £3.39! Remarkable value. He's got 100s by the sound of it and I would recommend it to anyone who needs one. Linux and XP both installed and used automatically. No more swapping cards.
The link for the item is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310002797847
Tony

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 07:16:09 AM »

Thanks for letting us know, Tony.
  Eric

anything