Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How does it get here?  (Read 1889 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
How does it get here?
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »

I have Infinity installed and I know its classed as Fiber to the Cabinet,
My question is :-
how is my line connected to the fibre that goes to the exchange.

I know about the DSLAM cabinet where the magic happens, but what I want to know is,   does my copper wire pass this DSLAM and go to the the PCP and then an offshoot go to the DSLAM to connect to the fibre, or,
does my copper go to the fibre/DSLAM cabinet first and then trundle off to the PCP to join the rest of the twisted pairs in there?

I think all this retirement stuff is doing my head in. It must be when things like this are giving me sleepless nights.
If anyone feels like answering this, please keep it straight forward. I know there are bound to be corners and things like that, but a simple answer will suffice. Thank You. :)
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: How does it get here?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 01:02:44 PM »

Quick response. Your copper (That carries your dial tone from the Exchange), pops up initially in the existing Cab. It is then connected to through to the Fibre Cab via another copper pair of wires. Once at the Fibre Cab, the dial tone then goes through the DSLAM equipment, thus adding DSL to the circuit. Both Dial tone and DSL are then sent back to the original Cab via another pair of copper wires, and connected to the 'D-Side' wires that feed your premises.

Hope this helps. :)