Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: IE Address Bar Memory  (Read 10565 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
IE Address Bar Memory
« on: August 29, 2006, 03:08:35 AM »

A long time ago each time I accessed a site, the site address details was kept in the drop down list in the address bar.
Obviously very handy for going back to previously sites.

Now for some reason the list is always empty, with the odd exception when there might only be 1 or 2 entries.
Most annoying to say the least.

Any suggestions on how to stop this automatically clearing would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:12:19 AM by oldfogy »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: IE Address Bar Memory
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 08:28:19 AM »

Morning Foges

do you have Adaware anti-spyware on you pooter? If you do, and you click MRU after a scan then you will lose all IE contents. Just clear the tracking cookies & leave MRU. Otherwise when you click clear history, in internet connections that does the same.

If you want to keep something valuable, such as Kitz (creep, creep), then put it in My Favourites & it will be permanently held, but dowm the side, rather than in address bar.

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 12:25:41 PM »

Just for note Firefox must work differently and doesn't get purged like IE does. Unless you specifically go into options and clear saved forms etc Ad-aware at least doesn't clear the drop down list, which is useful.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 02:40:31 PM »

Brilliant, problem solved.

(Ad-aware MRU list) also explains why Office Excel also keeps clearing the list of recently opened files, (not Word though) but I don't mind that.
Think I will have to change from the free version, as the paid for version gives the option to "Ignore" certain files. :-X :police:

Having now looked carefully (for the first time) it now explains why lots of other things also get cleared.
Which I have always put down to re-Ghosting my PC which I do quite frequently, which would then have been obvious.

Morning FogesIf you want to keep something valuable, such as Kitz (creep, creep), then put it in My Favourites & it will be permanently held, but dowm the side, rather than in address bar.
>> put it in My Favourites <<
It's my "Number One desktop shortcut" :P

Thanks again, as this niggly little problem has been bugging me for a long time now (along with a couple of friends also).

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »

Foges

I've only got the free version of Adaware. Have you got the latest build? You can choose not to delete MRU with mine.

And BTW  :P to you! They're good these new smileythings :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 03:33:31 PM »

Yes thanks, just that in the past I have never (knowingly) experienced any problems with deleting all items found so have always selected MRU as well.
But like I say in the paid for version you can select individual files to ignore in future scans.

Definitely  :lol:

Just as a matter of interest, there is a updated version of ieSpell Checker available. (v2.1.1.325)
http://www.iespell.com/download.php

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 02:10:05 AM »

Just a little more info on the IE address bar problem (that I used to have)

I said before that Ad-aware would not let me put it in the IGNORE list, so I thought it must be a feature of the paid for version, well I was wrong, it appears that when I tried putting it in the ignored list I had only high-lighted it and not put a tick in the box to select it.
Once ticked it then allows the ignored feature to work as it should.

anything