Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Saving Favourites to a different location.  (Read 8391 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Saving Favourites to a different location.
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:56:52 AM »

I suppose the heading outlines the question really.
But, is it possible to have the "Favourites Folder" saved to a different location other than it's default?

As I use different PCs on my network it would be very handy to have just one central folder instead of having to up-date individual PCs each time I add or remove items.
Thanks

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Saving Favourites to a different location.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:54:22 AM »

Download Tweak UI from this page on microsoft.com

Then run Tweak UI. In Tweak UI, expand the My Computer branch, then Special Folders. You can then change the location of any of the special folders in your system, including FavoUrites (bloody Americans :D ).

The usual warnings - I wouldn't play around changing locations of everything for the hell of it - some programs don't follow the Microsoft programming guidelines and assume that a folder resides in the default place - in fact the only one I'd really change in that list would be Favourites.

Hope this helps :)
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 06:31:54 PM »

Thanks Chris.

Will get back to you later with an update.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 07:16:08 PM »

One thing that did occur to me earlier that is worth pointing out.
If say for example you store the favs on the one machine, that machine needs to be online if say a laptop is trying to access the favs file.

btw stumbled across this earlier..  not sure if it will do what you want, - I havent used it myself - but it may come in useful
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/netfavorites.html
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 09:13:15 PM »

Chris:- The usual warnings - I wouldn't play around changing locations of everything for the hell of it
Most of these have already been changed in the past, but I could never get IE Favorites to move.
ie: Outlook Express storage folder, this is stored on D: because I try to have as little as possible on the C: partition that I need to keep, but thanks for the warning.....

Although what I did have to do was:
Copy the original favorites folder to where I wanted it to be, then choose that location to change to, for each PC,
because it only changed the location without transferring the already saved info.

Thanks Kitz:
but Tweak Ui did the job a treat.

However, I was considering the laptop/s as well but had a change of mind for the same reason you pointed out on the off chance of using it away from home (thats the next question), or not having the main PC switched on.
So I will stick with my short-cut link and carry-on with copying it onto the short-cut which then up-dates either from one to the other, bit like the old "Briefcase folder" but easier.

I did have a look at your link to Snapfiles, yes it would have done the job, but more relevant to/for a larger network I think.
To update would mean opening the program then selecting the appropriate action from a drop-down menu.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 04:06:59 PM »

Just as a matter of interest:
And tried same on 3 different PC's with same result.

With the "Drive Letters" settings, (in, My Computer of Tweak Ui that is)
I rather like the idea of "Show all drive letters before the label" option.

But it did not work, actually none of the first 3 options work.

However out of curiosity and not like being beaten I then tried the option to "Never show drive letters"
now although this feature works, (but not as it should) it actually works the way I wanted in the first place,
that is "Show all drive letters before the label" option.

Now, what's the difference between the 2 DL options of:
TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
TweakUIPowertoySetup_ia64.exe

Is the latter for 64bit PC's ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 04:43:58 PM by oldfogy »

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 05:02:25 PM »

you talk about the problems between networked and mobile environments.

This is when you need Windows Server with domain accounts and roaming profiles. They can sometimes be a pain in the arse to get going but work just as you are wanting.

You can get free 180 day trial of Windows server and play with it how you please.

I cant see how you will get anyway of getting a flexible network/mobile solution otherwise.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 05:39:36 PM »

But can sometimes be a pain in the proverbials to get going, but work just as you are wanting.
I cant see how you will get anyway of getting a flexible network/mobile solution otherwise.
True.

On my original question, what I have now decide to do is:
As I will possibly only require the use of Favorites probably less than 5% when away from home, is to just change the default folder back to it's original location as and when necessary (which will not be that often).

This choice and option will probably be the easiest and quickest solution considering the usage factor required "for me anyway"

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 01:07:40 AM »

Now, what's the difference between the 2 DL options of:
TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe
TweakUIPowertoySetup_ia64.exe

Is the latter for 64bit PC's ?
Yes.

As regards the drive letter placement in TweakUI - did you restart the PC after you changed the setting?
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 01:27:58 AM »

Hi Chris,

Yes, although the system requested a "Log off"
I also tried a Re-start and also a complete shut-down, but the only setting that worked "although as said before not properly" but did the job was the "Don't show drive letters" options.