Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Devolo Plugs  (Read 6398 times)

IK

• Just arrived
Devolo Plugs
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:30:52 PM »

Hi  :)

I am thinking of buying the Devolo starter kit after reading about it here.
I know that you should not use then on a surge proctor plug, but can you use them on extension lead plug, as I do not have spare wall sockets near the computers.I think that you might lose a bit of speed with an extension lead, but the main thing I want to know is are they safe using an extension lead.
Also does anybody know if the Devolo plugs use USB or Ethernet leads to connect to computers.

Thank you for any help.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Devolo Plugs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:28 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes, it's perfectly OK to use homeplugs on extension leads. As you say, there may be some small loss of speed, but that's all.

Devolo homeplugs have ethernet connectors (as do most if not all other makes).
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:50:50 PM »

I happen to have one of these (I didn't buy it, but it is brand new) and decided to try it the other day.

One unit I connected to my router - using a short extension lead into a spur socket off a ring main from my main consumer unit.
The other went into a 6-way outlet on a 1-metre extension lead straight into a separate ring main on a separate consumer unit (due to a house extension) located adjacent to the main one on the same incoming supply.

Performance was terrible. That may be down to having 2 consumer units of course; I haven't investigated further.

IK

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 05:34:48 PM »

Hi

Thank you for your replies.You have put my mind at rest  :D and thank you for the welcome.

Not sure about the spur sockets lol but I will just have to try the plugs, as we have tried a  Netgear adaptor but could not get any signal  for the internet.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »

Welcome to the forum IK.
Develo plugs are just fine in extension sockets, well mine are any way. I also have a single Netgear plug on the same lan working fine with the Develo plugs.
I just used the Windows OS to set the encryption on all the plugs the same and then put them back onto my Linux machines and they work just fine.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 09:49:53 PM »

ebuyer.com just sent details of a "special" it is doing on powerline adaptors from ZyXEL..

ZyXEL PLA-4201 500Mbps Mini Powerline Adaptor - Twin Pack

for £32.99 inc. vat (was £39.99)

See: http://www.ebuyer.com/367949-zyxel-pla4201-500mbps-mini-powerline-ethernet-adaptor-twin-pack-3-year-pla4201-gb0201f

Dunno what 500Mbps really means when the interface is only 100Mbps maximum.

Never tried any powerline solution, but I don't think there is any real substitute for wired ethernet (or maybe even multimode fibre) in the home.

The major downside to anything wired is the totally ruined interior decoration from installing it.

The gouged plasterwork, the surface run cabling tacked along the skirting boards and up and around door frames,  the floorboards split into shreds (it's a terrible job cutting and lifting T&G boards to lay cables!), etc.

cheers, a
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:53:03 PM by asbokid »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 10:46:59 PM »

The major downside to anything wired is the totally ruined interior decoration from installing it.
Not necessarily.  ;)
I use CW1308 phone cable which is good for up to 100mbps and very flexible and unobtrusive.  :graduate:

Most of mine replaces old phone extension wiring, redundant due to cordless landline phones, and SWMBO has NEVER EVER NOTICED!  :lol:

anything