Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TeamViewer.  (Read 4008 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
TeamViewer.
« on: September 12, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »

TeamViewer.

http://www.teamviewer.com/

I can recommend this free software (personal use) for remote access to remote computers. (with remotes permission).

It seems to work along the lines of both machines routing through TeamViewer's company servers, with a pre-defined user ID and password identifying both parties, so no problem with NATed connection.

Remember to go to 'options' and set them up !.

I have used it on some test machines first and it works ok, as a lot of you know I use Linux but there are downloads for mac's windows, tablets etc.

It will make maintenance easy on my daughters laptop while she is at uni and I must install it on my sister in laws computer I built for her a few weeks ago as I have had to make a 20 mile journey to sort it out before.

You can use VOIP , Chat, and Video on it as well. (but I could not get the video working  :( ).
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TeamViewer.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

I can second the above.  Ive used it for >2  years now to connect to remote machines and it is so easy to use compared to previous software Ive used in the past. 

Normally Ive had to set up remote software for other people (such as dad) as they dont have a clue how to port forward, but even dad could download and install team viewer and give me the codes via telephone. 

Ive normally used it to take control of someone else's PC, but only 2 days ago I let someone else use it to connect to my PC because I was having a few problems trying to configure something for the site. So I can confirm it works rather nicely at both ends.

I must admit Ive never used the video option -  because I dont have a webcam - so I cant comment on that.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:17 PM »

It nice to hear that. :)

I was just going to use 'ssh -X username@remotehost' but because a lot of the uni and halls are NATed it would not work unless I had the current in session set of IP's.

Anybody else use 'ssh' to move files about between computers ?.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 11:08:56 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »

I use ssh all the time, and sftp (secure ftp), the file transfer component of secure shell.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 11:37:30 PM »

I've been using teamviewer a fair bit recently, so I also endorse this thread  ;D

That said, I prefer the functionality of remote desktop or remote assistance, as built into Windows XP and upwards.  It's just that it doesn't always work  >:(  and when this happens, I revert to Teamviewer  :)  Which works every time!

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:43:42 AM »

I use ssh all the time, and sftp (secure ftp), the file transfer component of secure shell.

Likewise.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:05:38 PM »

I've used teamviewer for years, you don't even need to install it, just select the run option once downloaded from the website,  rather than the install option.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »

I have just used 'Teamviewer' to make some changes on my daughters laptop at uni, It's very good and fast, I could use the 'VOIP' to talk to her while I was making the mods.
It's got a useful file transfer section on it as well. ;)

anything