Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Warning On Government Energy Saving Offer  (Read 12234 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Warning On Government Energy Saving Offer
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 01:42:30 PM »

Maybe it's designed for that sort of application (makes sense) but isn't compulsory?
Chris

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »

Possibly elsewhere in Europe Chris but not in the UK. As of 2004 (IIRC) a whole new set of laws regarding electrical work came into force in England & Wales (Scotland stayed with sane laws).

It is illegal for anyone other than a FULLY QUALIFIED electrician to install any new circuits* in an area where water ingress is possible. Part P covers bathrooms/kitchens/toilets I think and is a complete no-go area for any DIY'er now, even for replacing existing fittings.

Basically if you have put in a new circuit in areas covered by Part P or an outside circuit and you didn't get a certificate from a sparky then you are potentially going to have to get it all taken out and replaced before you can sell your house. Now there's ways around this but are you really sure you managed to erase all the date codes on the kit you installed? If not and something goes wrong in future then you are liable and could in fact face criminal charges.

Even with the 12V stuff, you have to put the transformer/rectifier unit somewhere - we have some lying on top of cupboards which seems very common and IMHO totally unsafe but it appears to be acceptable practice.

*This can (I believe) be something as simple as changing a lightswitch.

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 02:49:34 PM »

Oh.... :hmm:

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2007, 02:57:18 PM »

If you do know what you're doing ralphw then just make sure the date codes are "missing" from the kit you install and say it pre-dates the regulations.

For outside stuff it is best to use armoured cable and then test with a megger when you're done.

For inside stuff then make sure the regulation distances are observed (they've been in force for donkeys years) and Bob's your fathers brother ;)

ralphw

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 03:07:07 PM »

Thanks for that. Actually Bob's my brother......

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 03:11:21 PM »

Regarding the Part P electrical regs, you can replace like-for-like any switch, light fittings, sockets etc that are 'DIY replaceable' anywhere in the house without infringing on the regulations.

This forum is very good with answers to questions about DIY electrics:
http://tinyurl.com/2xv2qo
The Wiki at the top of the index is full of advice and if you cannot find what you want to know, just post. Several qualified sparks will sort you out.
dave

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2007, 03:35:06 PM »

I have heard people going both ways on the regs Dave.

Is a two-way switched light "DIY replaceable" for the average person? In my experience the answer is no it isn't as I always seem to get asked to help :D

Changing a pendant lampshade/fitting or a pull-cord switch is about all I'd consider as "DIY replaceable" by the average person.

Another good site is http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/index.htm
Pages: 1 [2]