Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v0.8 released  (Read 17324 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v0.8 released
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »

Just noticed that I have got an Invalid Floating Point Operation message on this now, not sure when or why, its been running about 2 hours. Clicked OK and it seems to have carried on. It says saving snapshot at the top of the screen, I have it set to snap all graphs every 2 hours. Looks like it had a problem with the bit loading graph as that snapshot was not taken and the graph has now disappeared as well. Restarted program and nothing shows on bit loading graph, other two are graphing OK.

Stuart

I don't know if this is related to the blank snapshots referred to by b*cat, but I'll give it my attention.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »

Graphs were generated at 2 hours connection time (19:06).

However, it seems that data stopped being harvested at 17:58.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »

Following the partial graph generation at 19:06, I received 2 error messages & the program shut itself down, the first message being Stats_Error_Message.

EDIT:
I have also just discovered that my own harvesting program that had been running for a few days crashed at around the same time.
It may just be that both programs tried to access the modem at the same time, but I have until recently been also harvesting my stats via a different method along with my harvesting program with no issues.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 07:40:00 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 08:23:38 PM »

Looking closely at the secondary tabs under Telnet data, I see that Connection stats, Bitloading, pbParams, QLN, Hlog and SNR are available. It is a little surprising that pbParams is offered, as the modem is connected to (and configured for) an ADSL2+ service. Upon taking the pbParams tab a blank screen is displayed, as expected, as pbParams can only be harvested from a VDSL2 connection.

I take it that you enabled the option "Stats per band"? If so, I can confirm your finding, and it's a detail I need to attend to.

Yes, indeed. The "Stats per band" box was ticked -- because it was there.  ;)  As that is a known current feature, then there is no problem.

The utility is also configured to automagically take a snapshot of each completed graph. Here is an observed defect. Both the Bitloading and Speed graphs do not show any data. Please see the attached snapshots, below.

I'm checking this out now. It worked before, and I don't recall making any changes to how it works, but I'll find out.

All subsequent snapshot graphs have been produced correctly. I think I need to stop the utility, wait a few minutes and start it from "cold" once again to see if there is a repetition of the event when the very first snaphot graphs time occurs.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »

Thanks, I didn't know that. I can certainly blank out the invalid values, and I'll look at the possibility of changing the plotting dependent on the DSLAM type.

Is this the DSLAM vendor for my connection:-

# xdslcmd info --vendor
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 4497 Kbps, Downstream rate = 32156 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 4435 Kbps, Downstream rate = 28075 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id:      BDCM:0xa350
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xa350
ChipSet SerialNumber:

If it helps at all, this is the Discovery Phase Band Plan from a Huawei DSLAM.
It's how I determine which of the two DSLAMs is in use:-

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (868,1207) (1972,2783)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1963) (2792,3959)

This is the Discovery Phase Band Plan from an ECI DSLAM:-

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (0,95) (880,1195) (1984,2771)
DS: (32,859) (1216,1959) (2792,4083)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:48:25 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »

Following the partial graph generation at 19:06, I received 2 error messages & the program shut itself down, the first message being Stats_Error_Message.

EDIT:
I have also just discovered that my own harvesting program that had been running for a few days crashed at around the same time.
It may just be that both programs tried to access the modem at the same time, but I have until recently been also harvesting my stats via a different method along with my harvesting program with no issues.

It's been my understanding (although I must check this) that BCM-based routers only accept a single telnet login at any one time. My program logs in, collects the data, then logs out. I've been able to have two instances of it running and collecting data, but only so long as their sampling periods don't conflict.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 08:59:08 PM »

# xdslcmd info --vendor
Retrain Reason: 0
Max:    Upstream rate = 4497 Kbps, Downstream rate = 32156 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 4435 Kbps, Downstream rate = 28075 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id:      BDCM:0xa350
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0xa350
ChipSet SerialNumber:

That suggests that the DSLAM is Broadcom - are Broadcom and Huawei related?

I get the following, and I know that I'm connected to an Infineon MSAN:

# xdslcmd info --vendor
Retrain Reason: 8000
Max:    Upstream rate = 1064 Kbps, Downstream rate = 9264 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 1067 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8670 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id:      IFTN:0x71be
ChipSet VersionNumber:  0x71be
ChipSet SerialNumber:
#
  Eric

rhohne

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »

Observations using rs-w32-0.8 and DG834GT with DGTEAM

Very impressed with the work so far, however have come across a few additional minor issues

Bitloading Graphs
1) Only plotted when also plotting SNR per tone
2) The GUI timestamps are updated twice, once at start of stats collection and then when data processed.
3) Snaphot doesn't always plot Tone 0 correctly  - see attached
4) Upstream SNR off screen

QLN & Hlog Graphs
1) Data requested on first two sample only.
2) The GUI timestamps are updated on every sample, despite no data requested.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »

It's been my understanding (although I must check this) that BCM-based routers only accept a single telnet login at any one time. My program logs in, collects the data, then logs out. I've been able to have two instances of it running and collecting data, but only so long as their sampling periods don't conflict.

My program runs once every minute via Windows Task Scheduler, at 30 seconds past the minute.
It logs in to telnet, harvests the data, logs out & exits the program completeley.
My graphs are intentionally only generated on demand from an ongoing data log file, rather than being continuously updated in memory.

I restarted your program at 35 seconds past the hour leaving it set at 30 second sampling periods, so the 2nd sample should be at 5 seconds past the minute.

My program takes around 2 seconds to complete the harvest & sort the data for numerous graphs.
The Telnet harvest itself only takes around 1.25 seconds, so the 2 programs shouldn't now clash with each other.

rhohne

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »

It's been my understanding (although I must check this) that BCM-based routers only accept a single telnet login at any one time.

The only time I've had a problems with multiple telnet sessions on the DG834GT is when debug mode was enabled after a telnet session was established, this tended to kill any existing telnet session.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 10:17:56 PM »

My program takes around 2 seconds to complete the harvest & sort the data for numerous graphs.
The Telnet harvest itself only takes around 1.25 seconds, so the 2 programs shouldn't now clash with each other.

Unfortunately the timer isn't accurate, so the two programs will soon clash. It's been in my mind to substitute an accurate timer, and clearly I must do this now.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »

Bitloading Graphs
1) Only plotted when also plotting SNR per tone
2) The GUI timestamps are updated twice, once at start of stats collection and then when data processed.
3) Snaphot doesn't always plot Tone 0 correctly  - see attached
4) Upstream SNR off screen

1. I can't reproduce this. Can anyone else confirm?
2. See (2) below.
3. I haven't seen this myself. It suggests that the router is reporting a negative dB value sometimes. As tone 0 isn't used anyway, I'll simply trap negative values and make them zero.
4. Yes, I can confirm this. I'll deal with it.

QLN & Hlog Graphs
1) Data requested on first two sample only.
2) The GUI timestamps are updated on every sample, despite no data requested.

1. The QLN and HLog data is collected by the router at initialisation time, and isn't refreshed until the next re-sync, so the program only issues these commands at the start of recording, or after a re-sync. It does so twice because the first sample is used to establish what kind of connection it is.
2. The way it works at present is that the time stamp is updated whenever the window is redrawn. Perhaps I can intercept this and fix the timestamp between samples. I'll have a look at this.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:34 PM »

My Second Report on V0.8

Having stopped the utility and closed it down completely, the snapshot graphing directory was tidied up. After five minutes, the utility was re-invoked, the configuration adjusted to de-select Stats per band and then recording was started. Two hours have passed since the above was performed, so there are now six snapshot graphs in the relevant directory.

I attach, below, the Bitloading, SNRMargin and Speed graphs automagically obtained after the first hour and the following Speed graph from after the second hour.

Something is definitely not correct.  ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 10:54:04 PM »

This is from a MSAN which has an Infineon chipset --

# xdslcmd info --vendor
Retrain Reason:   0
Max:   Upstream rate = 928 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5996 Kbps
Path:   0, Upstream rate = 940 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5820 Kbps

ChipSet Vendor Id:   IFTN:0x71c6
ChipSet VersionNumber:   0x71c6
ChipSet SerialNumber:   
#

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »

My Second Report on V0.8

Having stopped the utility and closed it down completely, the snapshot graphing directory was tidied up. After five minutes, the utility was re-invoked, the configuration adjusted to de-select Stats per band and then recording was started. Two hours have passed since the above was performed, so there are now six snapshot graphs in the relevant directory.

I attach, below, the Bitloading, SNRMargin and Speed graphs automagically obtained after the first hour and the following Speed graph from after the second hour.

Something is definitely not correct.  ???

Have you got the Connection speed graph disabled? The auto snapshot feature can only work if the corresponding graph is enabled. One thing I plan to do in the next version is set it up so that the corresponding graph is automatically enabled when auto-snapshot is enabled.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything