Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: packet sniffing  (Read 5476 times)

Zanoma

packet sniffing
« on: November 28, 2007, 12:28:32 AM »

Hi again

i have bin trying to work out a problem well not really a problem but working out whats happening from my pc to the modem/router, as some off you no from my last posts i use my connection mostly for gaming and am all ways looking for way to improve my game play and connection any ways network side its not my strong point so i need some help with it from time to time  basically i start my online multiplay game it loads up it opens up a udp port of 27960 if i do a netstat -an in windows cmd it comes up with udp 0.0.0.0:27960 i am guessing this is a broadcast ip ?  i used a packets sniffing tool to see what was happening it seems to be sending packets from the nic to the router using mac codes but no port is listed so how dose my router no what ports its sending it out on and coming back on?

Re: packet sniffing
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:17:56 AM »

0.0.0.0:27960 simply means that your machine is listening for incoming traffic on port 27960.

Zanoma

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 11:03:39 PM »

0.0.0.0:27960 simply means that your machine is listening for incoming traffic on port 27960.

so is the 0.0.0.0 just like a broadcast thing then ?

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 11:17:10 PM »

No, not really. A broadcast is sent to all the addresses on the network.

All 0.0.0.0 means (in Windows terms) is that you have a listening service. The :27960 part simply defines the port which the service is listening to.

Zanoma

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:25:42 PM »

so how do i no if the router is getting packets through this port and getting to me as my packet sniffer is only showing mac address being sent from my nic to my router
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 11:17:21 PM by Zanoma »

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »

Does the game work? I can't actually work out what you're trying to do/find out :)

MAC addresses are how ethernet works - not TCP/IP.

TCP/IP, Netware or whatever "sit on top" of the ethernet layer.

Zanoma

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 02:15:28 PM »

Basic when i used my packet sniffer to find out how big the packets am sending and receving it shows my ip address as 192.168.2.2 which is my ip for my nic sending it to my router ip 192.168.2.1 but it also uses mac codes too i guess thats just how it communicates,  it dont say any thing about the port its using thats all

am trying to find a way to improve the udp data really that was all if thats possible

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 03:33:38 PM »

You're not going to be able to improve UDP transfers between your network card and your router assuming you are on a wired network.

You can't do anything about UDP in general as it is "fire and forget". ie there is no acknowledgement that the data sent ever reached the destination so no data retransmission will ever take place if it didn't get there. The application (game in your case) has to be coded to cope with this - and out of order data packets which can't be reassembled back into order as that's not how UDP works.

Virtually every time sensitive application uses UDP because you can't wait for retransmissions etc.

Do you have packet loss in-game or something?