Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v0.7 released  (Read 6059 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v0.7 released
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:12:07 PM »

Rs-ux and rs-w are DSL monitoring programs for Broadcom-based DSL routers which have a fully functioning telnet interface with access to the Broadcom CLI. Compared to the previous release (v0.5) the following changes have been implemented:

- added auto detection of VDSL2 band plans
- added auto detection of DSL type
- for automatic snapshots of bitloading chart, the user can choose whether to snap expanded or compressed versions, independently of what is currently on view
- time overlap between automatic snapshots reduced to 2 minutes
- added optional graph of SNR per tone to the bitloading chart
- divided the configuration page into sections
- divided the 'Telnet data' page into separate tabs for each telnet command
- replaced off-the-shelf graphing component with custom written component for more predictable behaviour
- added option to clip the displayed SNR margin (to avoid major rescaling of the Y axis when a spurious large value is reported by the router)
- made changes in processing which will hopefully avoid freezes
- remembers window size and position on exit

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit

I would welcome feedback on this version, particularly from FTTC users (using unlocked HG612) as I have no means of testing this myself.

[Edit: link corrected]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 03:59:27 PM by roseway »
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v0.7 released
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:10 AM »

The 64-bit Linux based version has been downloaded to The Cattery and will be tested later today, during daylight hours.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »

I now present my report.

(1) A phoo-bah. If one examines the Speed graph, attached below, it can be seen that the colours of the DS and US curves have been interposed. My line is certainly not operating at just under 6 Mbps US and just under 1 Mbps DS.  :-X

(2) An observation. Decaying (or decayed) eyesight finds that the two icons, Start recording and Stop recording, very difficult to distinguish.

(3) Another observation. When configured for G.Dmt, ADSL2 or ADSL2+ modes and the "top level" Telnet data tab is selected, one is still offered the choice of looking at a blank screen by taking either of the "lower level" tabs, pbParams or Linediag.

All in all, an excellent utility. Thank you for all your ongoing enhancements and revisions, Eric:thumbs:  :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:40:12 PM by burakkucat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 07:26:54 AM »

I now present my report.

Many thanks. :)

(1) A phoo-bah. If one examines the Speed graph, attached below, it can be seen that the colours of the DS and US curves have been interposed. My line is certainly not operating at just under 6 Mbps US and just under 1 Mbps DS.  :-X

Whoops! How on earth did that happen, I wonder?

(2) An observation. Decaying (or decayed) eyesight finds that the two icons, Start recording and Stop recording, very difficult to distinguish.

I'm not happy with the icons anyway. I think I might draw my own - they're only tiny 16x16 GIF images.

(3) Another observation. When configured for G.Dmt, ADSL2 or ADSL2+ modes and the "top level" Telnet data tab is selected, one is still offered the choice of looking at a blank screen by taking either of the "lower level" tabs, pbParams or Linediag.

Yes, just a little bit of tidying up needed, to hide those tabs when they're not in use.

All in all, an excellent utility. Thank you for all your ongoing enhancements and revisions, Eric:thumbs:  :)

You're very kind, and thank you for your report.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »

Working well here (apart from the colour swap on speed graph!).

May I make a suggestion. I wanted to check my stats using DMT but ofcourse had to stop recording, when I restart it wipes the graphs. I'd like to suggest an option to continue (maybe with a gap in the graph) rather than starting afresh. Dont know if that's easy to do.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:46:39 AM »

Thanks Stuart. Yes, a Pause option would be good and it's on the todo list. I didn't attempt it this time round because in rewriting the graphing routines I had some struggles with getting the plotted points to line up correctly with the time axis. But I'll try to put it into the next version.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:57:58 PM »

Now where are the VDSL2 users' test reports, I wonder?  :-\

What can Bald_Eagle1 and Happy37 possibly be doing that precludes them trying out this latest release of rs-w? (Perhaps their versions of BGW have performed a synchronised (and thus simultaneous) crash . . .  >:D  )

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 03:38:03 PM »

I think your suggestion has merit. ;D
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »

Just a bit of quick feedback from my FTTC/VDSL2 connection with everything tickable ticked:-

It's looking good, Eric :)

Why didn't you do it 12 months ago when I started my first topic in this forum http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9726.0.html:lol:

1. All the graphs appear to be working apart from the speed graph which isn't displaying anything (see attached screenshot).
Connection speed is correctly reported in the info bar at the bottom of the program's window though.

2. All the telnet data is being displayed apart from Linediag.

3. I have only just started the program so am currently awaiting "snapshot" data.
I'll provide an update in due course.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:52:32 PM »

Why didn't you do it 12 months ago when I started my first topic in this forum http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9726.0.html ? :lol:

Sorry, my programming activity has only recently come back to life. ;D

1. All the graphs appear to be working apart from the speed graph which isn't displaying anything (see attached screenshot).
Connection speed is correctly reported in the info bar at the bottom of the program's window though.

I'll look into it.

2. All the telnet data is being displayed apart from Linediag.

Linediag isn't implemented yet.

3. I have only just started the program so am currently awaiting "snapshot" data.
I'll provide an update in due course.

Thanks.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 10:38:04 PM »

Quick update from my VDSL2 connection.

The snapshot graphs are being generated as intended at roughly 2 hour intervals (apart from connection speed which is still not being generated).

Due to experiments & testing of some "other" software that is currently under development, I will have to turn off rs-w, but I will test & provide feedback on any rs-w updates whenever possible.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »

Thanks for the update.
  Eric

ColinS

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »

Eric,

For some reason I'm not getting anything in the speed tab, nor any y-axis values for that matter.  I think I did before I reloaded when the speed was some miserable low value like 3Mb/s DS. However, since rebooting the HG612 and getting 11.6Mb/s or thereabouts, nothing.  It's ADSL2+

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 06:42:30 PM »

Eric,

For some reason I'm not getting anything in the speed tab, nor any y-axis values for that matter.  I think I did before I reloaded when the speed was some miserable low value like 3Mb/s DS. However, since rebooting the HG612 and getting 11.6Mb/s or thereabouts, nothing.  It's ADSL2+

Bald-Eagle1 reported the same issue, and I thought at the time that it was a problem with FTTC connections only. I think I've now located the problem, and I'll upload a corrected version when I've done a bit more testing.
  Eric

anything