Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Fitting ADSL Plate  (Read 18917 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Fitting ADSL Plate
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »

Just curious, did you note any other before/after stats?

I saw a small drop in line attenuation and an increase in S/N margin when I fitted mine.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

Thats probably because your house was on fire, Sheddy. There would have been less wiring to measure, ergo lower attenuation. The 'Smoke to Noise Ratio' increases in a linear fashion, as fumes enter the smoke alarm.

Couldn't resist pal (knowing you're ok of course).  :P ;D

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »

Well, Black Sheep, I think more investigation should be done into temperature vs line noise.  :D

For a while a few months ago there did appear to be a correlation between sunlight in the late afternoon/early evening heating the South West facing wall where my phone line runs down, and the drop in available S/N ratio to as low as 3.5db.  Hot sun/hot wall seemed to = lower S/N ratio.

However, in the recent hot spell, I've seen no such drop when the sun is on the wire, so I guess they're actually unrelated.

Should I try applying a blow lamp gently to the cable to test my theory though?  ???

Mm perhaps not.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »

Ha ha ..... lets leave the blowtorch theorum's for the time-being, shall we ?? ;D

I remember when serving my time as a spark, that we had to take into account south-facing features when erecting outside cabling, regarding temp coefficients etc. Its way to far back for me to remember, but it does play an impact somewhere ?? I think its most likely the resistivity of the circuit which would increase as it gets hotter.

I'm sure one of our resident scientists will post-up the 'relevants' in due course ??  ;D

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 07:09:46 PM »

I think it works that a given cable is said to be rated for x amps in normal circumstances (ie tacked along a wall or rafter).  In normal use that cable will warm up to a small degree, which is fine, but you have to factor in it's location in some circumstances, eg if running beneath loft insulation it can safely carry LESS current as it'll get warmer, if bundled with other cables ditto to a lesser degree, and possibly, if suspended in air it can be rated up slightly.

I once read an article and a table of % ratings up and down for given circumstances (probably in a trade magazine), so perhaps it's something like that that you're remembering Black Sheep?  Maybe it's part of the electrical regs?

Meanwhile, I'm blaming my previous regular but now stable drop in S/N margin on sun spot activity.  It's all been fine since I bought my tin foil hat :)

Ian

OMG maybe it was the hat that caused the fire?  :o

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »

I think it works that a given cable is said to be rated for x amps in normal circumstances (ie tacked along a wall or rafter).  In normal use that cable will warm up to a small degree, which is fine, but you have to factor in it's location in some circumstances, eg if running beneath loft insulation it can safely carry LESS current as it'll get warmer, if bundled with other cables ditto to a lesser degree, and possibly, if suspended in air it can be rated up slightly.

I once read an article and a table of % ratings up and down for given circumstances (probably in a trade magazine), so perhaps it's something like that that you're remembering Black Sheep?  Maybe it's part of the electrical regs?

Meanwhile, I'm blaming my previous regular but now stable drop in S/N margin on sun spot activity.  It's all been fine since I bought my tin foil hat :)

Ian

OMG maybe it was the hat that caused the fire?  :o

If there's one thing you can be absolutely certain of ..... it will be in the 17th Edition Regs. The EE's bible. Also, a major headache to navigate around as memory recalls. :-X Sorry, I seem to have taken this thread OT. :(

Bayardo

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »

Premature?

I moved the router from the lounge back to where I normally have it, on the bedroom extension via a dongle & there is no connection to the net :(.

I have a none-digital phone on the extension which is working o.k.

The router is now back on the lounge window sill. So far no comment from the wife about it :o :)
If she does object I'll have to try & get the TP-Link repeater running if i can.

Sheddyian
I have a note of the router stats before the changeover. I'll dig them out & also check the current stats & see what effect there has been, if any.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:22:29 PM by Bayardo »

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 08:26:09 PM »

I moved the router from the lounge back to where I normally have it, on the bedroom extension via a dongle & there is no connection to the net :(.

I have a none-digital phone on the extension which is working o.k.

That is entirely correct, it's designed to do that.

Basically, only the socket on the faceplate will have an ADSL signal on it.  Any other phone sockets will have the ADSL signal filtered out by your new faceplate.

It means you don't need filters on any of your phones, and a reduction in interference with the ADSL signal.

Having the modem connected to the filtered faceplate also means you've kept the wiring run as short as possible.

So it's all good really (providing you can keep your other half happy about it's location!)  ;D

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »

As Sheddy says, the only place you can plug your router in now, is at the filtered faceplate next to the TV.

There are other ways around this in order to move it back upstairs, but it's slightly more involved. I'd buy SWMBO a bunch of flowers and cook her a meal as part of the 'Appeasement manouvre'.

Bayardo

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »

As Sheddy says, the only place you can plug your router in now, is at the filtered faceplate next to the TV.

There are other ways around this in order to move it back upstairs, but it's slightly more involved. I'd buy SWMBO a bunch of flowers and cook her a meal as part of the 'Appeasement manouvre'.

As she's already on a promise of a weekend break (she knows not where) I'll be able to get away from the flowers & cooking I think ;)

Sheddy - stats as below, but they're a bit beyond me when they refer to SNR margin.

20/08/12 & 23/10/12
Up              443 kbps/443  down 18096/18362
SNR up       18.9/31.1        down 6.0/6.0
Line Attn up 10.8/10.5       down 19.0/19.0

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 10:26:31 PM »

The quite large jump in SNR UP says to me that there is a good improvement in the quality of the line as seen from the modem.  So that's a good thing.

Your upstream speed hasn't changed, perhaps it will increase after a few days now that the line quality is improved overall.

There are others here who know an awful lot more about the inner workings of DLM than I do, who might suggest what to do next, but for the moment, I'd leave it all connected up and online all the time, and keep an eye on the stability.

Ian

Bayardo

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »

The quite large jump in SNR UP says to me that there is a good improvement in the quality of the line as seen from the modem.  So that's a good thing.

Your upstream speed hasn't changed, perhaps it will increase after a few days now that the line quality is improved overall.

There are others here who know an awful lot more about the inner workings of DLM than I do, who might suggest what to do next, but for the moment, I'd leave it all connected up and online all the time, and keep an eye on the stability.

Ian
Thanks for that Sheddy.
I did (I think) do a re-sync after the new plate went in. I disconnected The router completely from the internet for about 30 minutes, and after re-installing it came back with 18225 at 07:18 this morning, but at 08:00 it had dropped to 18175 & at 19:57 it had dropped to 17875.
There was a lost-carrier at 19:43:53, and it logged back in at 19:57:11, but that would most likely have been down to me moving the router to the extension & back to the master socket.

I do normally leave it connected, so I'll keep an eye on things

Ian
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:10:27 PM by Bayardo »

Bayardo

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 10:09:07 AM »

Just looked at my stats again:

443/20140 kbps up/down
30/0db up/down snr
10.5/18db up/down attentuation

ISP site shows sync currently as 19607
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:19:27 AM by Bayardo »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 02:04:02 PM »

30/0db up/down snr

That does not look right.  :no:

Are you sure you have noted the correct values?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bayardo

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »

Yes - It's very close to what is showing on the router at the moment.

I've attached a screengrab, along with data from my ISP's control panel.

I thought I might be free of the I'm still getting the "Lost Carrier" thing, but it's still there
on the logs.

I'm puzzled by the sync log as it shows the upward changes from the 29th (19646), and I'm fairly sure that
it hadn't moved up from the 17891 level at that time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5