Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Fitting ADSL Plate  (Read 18907 times)

Bayardo

Fitting ADSL Plate
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:05:17 PM »

My master socket is in the same corner of the lounge as the tv, which because of wiring etc is about 2ft from the socket.
I can't help but feel that this is having an effect on my broadband service. My router (Billion 7300n) is connected via an auxiliary socket in a bedroom above the lounge. For various reasons I'm thinking of connecting directly to the master socket, with a repeater (if needed) elsewhere in the house.

When I first went on to ADSL I was getting a fairly consistent sync in region of 20000kbps, but since the end of June it's been dropping steadily and is now about 17500. I'm also getting a lot of times where, according to data on my ISPs records, I frequently get a "lost carrier". This normally lasts only for a matter of seconds & I don't notice any problem from it when I'm on line.

However,I'm probably going to fit an adsl nation faceplate on the master socket to see if this makes any general improvement.

Is it likely to be a worthwhile change?
I've looked at the master socket and see that the wiring is orange on 2, green on 3 & white on 5. The adsl plate has "phone" against connectors 2,3 & 5 and "adsl" against other connectors marked  A & B.

Can you please advise me as to how I connect to the new plate? Do I just connect the wiring to 2,3 & 5 on the new plate, or do I need to put 1 wire to A or B, & if so, which wire & to which letter?

Thanks
Bayardo

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Fitting ADSL Plate
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

I found the ADSL Nation filtered faceplate very worthwhile, although I did have an existing problem that I didn't ever find the cause of, but which the ADSL nation faceplate circumvented.

After my ADSL was switched on, I could hear it as a hiss on the line, and speech quality went down, despite trying different filters on the telephone.  Previously line quality for speech had been excellent.

I fitted an ADSL filtered faceplate, and this problem was resolved - speech quality excellent again.

It also gained me additional throughput and slight reduction in attenuation.

So, in every regard, I was very pleased  ;D

Regards to wiring, I'm sure someone else here will be able to give you more detailed instructions, but basically :

phone line into house goes to the A & B terminals.

Your extension sockets are then wired to the 2 3 and 5 terminals.

This has the effect of removing ADSL signals from all extension sockets (so you no longer need microfilters on each extension socket that's in use), and eliminating (or significantly reducing) interference from those sockets getting back to your ADSL signal. 

If you've currently got wires going to terminals 2 3 and 5, then you've got the ring wire connected.  You don't need this, and it can cause problems with ADSL.  Disconnect the wire on terminal 3.  You only need 2 and 5.  Then resynch your modem.  Did the throughput increase?  :) See here for more details http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Ian
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:29:09 PM by sheddyian »

Bayardo

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »

Thanks for your interest & reply Ian.
I'm led to believe that if I run the router from the master socket, then it's simply a matter of wiring the new plate up in the same
way as the BT one. i.e. orange to 2/green to 3 & white to 5 So all I need in wiring is up to 2 & 5, & the bell wire (3/green) can, as you say, be ditched.

I'm also led to believe that as regards the extension socket, it needs to be connected to A&B.

This is a BT socket and the connecting cable passes through the bedroom wall, along the outside of the house, & back in to the master.
I imagine it's connected correctly, (Orange 2/green 3/white 5/black 6)and nothing needs to be done as it's always worked ok, but I only need 2 & 5 again.
The Kitz instructions indicate that b = 2 & A = 5.

On the ADSLNation do I ignore either the "ADSL connectors" or the "phone connectors", or use one from each bank. If so, which?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »

It's getting slightly confusing now ??

If the master socket is where you say it is (side of TV), you wont need to get involved in the A-B side of the connection.

Simply remove your current front-plate, and reconnect the same wires to the same terminal numbers (2,3,5). You will need to connect up No.3 on the off-chance your phone is quite old and it needs the bell-shunt to make it ring. Or alternatively, leave the old dongle filters connected as they have a ringing capacitor incorporated into their build.

Should take approx 1 minute to complete this task. :)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:57:00 PM »

I am also a bit puzzled.

Perhaps if you could supply some photos of what you've got (including wiring) it might help, particularly showing the type of master socket that you've got.  And also a picture or link to the particular ADSL Nation faceplate you've got (or are thinking of fitting, if you've not already bought it).

Ian

Bayardo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »

Hello B S
Thanks for taking a look at this.

You're confused? I'm befuddled. Mountains & molehills come to mind. Guess I'm looking for potential problems
that don't & won't exist.

I'll follow your advice, but will have to leave it until tomorrow now due to other matters (A TP-Link Access point among them
that will not revert to default settings even tho' I've held the reset button several times for the required period!!!!)

Bayardo

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »

I am also a bit puzzled.

Perhaps if you could supply some photos of what you've got (including wiring) it might help, particularly showing the type of master socket that you've got.  And also a picture or link to the particular ADSL Nation faceplate you've got (or are thinking of fitting, if you've not already bought it).

Ian

Hello Ian

Pics attached:
0673 - New ADSL Plate
0674 - Current BT Plate
0675 - Extension in the bedroom
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 08:42:23 PM by Bayardo »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

As mooted above, just take the wires off the original frontplate, and reconnect to the 'phone part' of the ADSL frontplate. Dont need to do anything with your extention upstairs. :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:47:20 PM »

The key is to keep things simple where possible. You may get advice about the 'black wire' connected to T6 on your upstairs extention socket, as in it isn't doing anything productive at all. You could in fact disconnect it, but then you could inadvertently dislodge one of the other wires (the ones that are doing something) as you are doing it ......... as I say, keep it simple.

Bayardo

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 10:11:45 PM »

Excellent advice. I'll take a dose of it tomorrow afternoon, all being well

Thanks

Ian

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:35:58 PM »

If ever there was an installation crying out for the "new" BT "VDSL" plate it's that one.
No wiring required, just "slide it in".

I have one and it's great: VDSL = VDSL and ADSL.  ;)

Here's a random one on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260939544741

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:37 PM »

As mooted above, just take the wires off the original frontplate, and reconnect to the 'phone part' of the ADSL frontplate. Dont need to do anything with your extention upstairs. :)

Mr Black Sheep knows what he's talking about, and I withdraw my confusing comments earlier.

With what you've got there, as Black Sheep says, just swap the wires over directly from the current front plate to the new one. 

Ian

Bayardo

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 11:29:07 PM »

Ian, your comments were not really confusing. The start of it all was the rather brief instruction leaflet that came with the plate.
Also, I do tend, in every scenario, to look for possible hitches, problems drawbacks etc. Pessimist? Moi?
At least a pessimist is often pleasantly surprised, whereas an optimist doesn't get much more than he expected!!

Thanks

Ian (alternative)

Bayardo

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 07:31:59 AM »

Good morning all. The deed has just been done with the wires on identical terminals to the NTE5 plate & is running ok.
Sync was 17402, now 18225, (but has been 20298 at it's best). Now a case of monitoring it for a week or two to see if I keep
getting the "lost-carriers".

Thank you all for your input & help

It's been much appreciated

Regards
Bayardo

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »

:thumbs:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5