Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Stop Sending Out My IP Address.  (Read 17545 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
How To Stop Sending Out My IP Address.
« on: November 27, 2007, 03:21:53 PM »

It concerns me that we keep sending out my private IP address (Not Dynamic) along with the machine IP on my home network, >:(  it's  with emails and it seems to be be on my daughters bebo account etc. as well.
How can I stop this.

My set up = ADSL with 6 Ip Address's, Router (With NAT firewall turned off), Smoothwall hardware firewall, switch, network.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: How To Stop Sending Out My IP Address.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 04:22:35 PM »

What exactly do you mean by your private IP address? If it's the external IP address of the router, then that's public knowledge on any system. If you mean the purely local LAN address, then that's no use to any external invader. Either way, it's not a security risk.
  Eric

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »

It is entirely normal for email. The email "header" contains all the information that the mx (mail exchanger or mailserver) passes.

I'm rather concerned that you have an IP block and don't understand basics like this?

What is the mailserver/ISP smarthost you use?

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »

Eric, I have a block of IP Addresses for my system to work, it stops me double natting,
Rizla, My ISP = Eclipse and I use webmail (Hotmail, Lycos, yahoo ) as well as my isp's mail.

My main worry was with my daughters Bebo and chat forums, she very good and only talks with private friends settings as she does not want to use the pubic (anyone) settings., she is aware of the risks.

I noticed one day that our IP address was being displayed by the site and I had it in my head you could look up my IP details and hence get our home address something she nor I want made  public .

Re,"I'm rather concerned that you have an IP block and don't understand basics like this?"
Well I have only one brain cell that works nowadays  ;D and I forget or is it the mad cow disease eating my brain away ?.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:13:24 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »

Whenever you access anything on the internet your outgoing message header includes your IP address, so the server at the other end knows who to send the reply to. It's always going to be public knowledge. Those IP addresses are owned by your ISP, not by you, and any lookup will only reveal the ISP's details.

(There's a small typo in your second paragraph, which you might like to correct :lol: )
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:55:08 AM »

It happens to the best of us  :lol:

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »

Those IP addresses are owned by your ISP, not by you, and any lookup will only reveal the ISP's details

In my experience that's not true. The lookup will show who the IP block has been assigned to and RIPE rules certainly used to say that /29 IP blocks had to show contact details of the person/organisation to whom it had been assigned to. I had a /28 from AAISP, a /29 from Zen and a /29 from Metronet - they all showed me as the person responsible for the block. Eclipse certainly did the same in 2003 as I tracked down where an online acquaintance lived so I could send him a surprise wedding present.

If tickmike is also running a mailserver then he'll have rdns setup (or should have). If its anything other than a .uk address then its usually very simple to get name, house address and phone number (if not ex-directory). I've taken my mx down for exactly those reasons - it doesn't bother me but the kids are heading towards the age that I'd rather not have people able to tell their house address in seconds :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:39 AM »

>> In my experience that's not true.

Sorry if I got that bit wrong then.
  Eric

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »

Well you should be able to tell Eric as you can see the IP address that tickmike posted from? Just do a lookup on the IP block and see what it says - it is entirely possible that Eclipse don't/haven't entered his details :)

Edit - here's what RIPE say about it (I'm bored today :D) :

When an End User has a network using public address space this must be registered separately with the contact details of the End User. Where the End User is an individual rather than an organisation, the contact information of the service provider may be substituted for the End Users.

I have to say that most ISPs I've dealt with don't permit individuals to "opt-out" as it means the ISP must become admin & tech contacts for the block which increases costs. For example Plusnet seem to insist that the end-users details are visible.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:24:50 AM by rizla »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 11:43:47 AM »

If I do a whois on the IP address I see several names but not tickmike's, and the addresses are all shown as c/o Eclipse Internet with Eclipse phone numbers. So I don't think anything confidential is being disclosed.
  Eric

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 11:53:40 AM »

So it doesn't look like this then :

11/28/07 11:49:34 whois 81.2.96.160@whois.ripe.net

whois -h whois.ripe.net 81.2.96.160 ...
% This is the RIPE Whois query server #2.
% The objects are in RPSL format.
%
% Rights restricted by copyright.
% See http://www.ripe.net/db/copyright.html

% Note: This output has been filtered.
%       To receive output for a database update, use the "-B" flag

% Information related to '81.2.96.160 - 81.2.96.167'

inetnum:        81.2.96.160 - 81.2.96.167
netname:        A6909A
descr:          London office
admin-c:        UKAA18787-RIPE
tech-c:         UKAA18787-RIPE
mnt-by:         AA
remarks:        ISP abuse policy at http://aaisp.net.uk/abuse.html
remarks:        Broadband link
source:         RIPE # Filtered

person:         Monique Parker
address:        7 Austinfriars
address:        LONDON
address:        UNITED KINGDOM
address:        EC2N 2HA
phone:          +44 20 7588 1684
e-mail:         info@dutchchurch.org.uk
nic-hdl:        UKAA18787-RIPE
mnt-by:         AA
source:         RIPE # Filtered

% Information related to '81.2.64.0/18AS20712'

route:        81.2.64.0/18
descr:        AAISP
origin:       AS20712
mnt-by:       AA
source:       RIPE # Filtered

That's part of the old block I had with AAISP which now is allocated to Monique Parker of (presumably) the Dutch Church in London. That is pretty much what I'd expect to see on a /29.....

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 11:59:31 AM »

No, there were no private addresses like that shown.
  Eric

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

Nice one - Eclipse must be honouring the individual opt-out :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »

Just out of curiosity I did a whois on my own IP address (from Zen) and and there's no private address information given in that either.
  Eric

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 12:53:37 PM »

There wouldn't be unless you have a /29 block. End user details only apply if you have a block of public IP addresses and a /29 is the smallest Zen do. Eclipse appear to do a /30 which is VERY wasteful - frankly a /29 isn't much better.

Eg :

/29 = 81.2.96.160 - 81.2.96.167

81.2.96.160 = router address
81.2.96.161 = useable
81.2.96.162 = useable
81.2.96.163 = useable
81.2.96.164 = useable
81.2.96.165 = useable
81.2.96.166 = useable
81.2.96.167 = broadcast address

So 6 useable addresses from a block of 8. They are actually ALL useable but only if you know what is in the "next-door" blocks and it isn't something I'd recommend to most people.

Eg :

/30 = 81.2.96.160 - 81.2.96.163

81.2.96.160 = router address
81.2.96.161 = useable
81.2.96.162 = useable
81.2.96.163 = broadcast address

So only 2 useable addresses from a block of 4.

Edit - one ISP (Be) doesn't give you a block when you ask for multiple IP addresses. They simply give you IP addresses at random and they usually aren't in the same logical block - and they certainly aren't sequential. You'd therefore have to be either insane or up for a challenge to take multiple IPs from them :D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 01:05:27 PM by rizla »
Pages: [1] 2

anything