Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Wireless Router Choice  (Read 14367 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Wireless Router Choice
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2007, 10:19:03 PM »

lol - maybe.....   :D
or you may like some-one else I know just like playing with different things  :angel:

re DMT.. this may help...
Using DMT Tool v7 with Speedtouch routers
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 10:29:56 PM »

Technophobe

Thank you for your reply.  I am using WPA2-PSK for my security option, the option to change from 64 to 128 doesn't appear in any of the router settings, or at least I can't find it.

Would it be somewhere else?

gom

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 10:50:29 PM »

Technoprobe was using WEP encryption, not WPA. WPA is a later, more secure form of encryption. It comes in different flavours, and WPA2-PSK is about as good as it gets, so you don't need to change anything.

Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2007, 04:37:15 PM »

or you may like some-one else I know just like playing with different things  :angel:

And who would that be then? :P
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2007, 09:18:18 PM »

>> And who would that be then?

no idea :-X
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2007, 06:52:14 PM »

Still no wireless connection, have tried reinstalling connection but wireless router not found.

Should I reset router and reinstall?  The router did get switched off in error a couple of days ago, would this have an effect?

Any suggestions?

gom
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 07:00:13 PM by grumpy old man »

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2007, 07:19:36 PM »

Does it work if you set the router to use WEP rather than WPA/WPA2? If so then it is a driver problem with your wireless card (which I'd put money on).

If it works with WEP then try WPA (TKIP) which is commonly called WPA-PSK. WPA2 will use AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) which requires much more processing power than TKIP. WPA can use TKIP (temporal key integrity protocol) or AES but it isn't always clear which one is actually in use.

This is very common and it (IME) is invariably due to a driver problem on the wireless card. Now in most cases this is simply because the wireless card is so old that it can't handle AES but in some cases a driver update will sort this out.

Does that help at all?

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2007, 10:02:21 PM »

Rizla

Many thanks for your reply.

The change to WEP made no difference (64 bit), the network is not visible on the connect page of vista.  I have taken your advice and downloaded latest driver for wireless card but that made no difference.

When I set the router up everything was working fine but for some reason my network has now 'gone' and the software is not locating.

gom

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2007, 11:07:42 PM »

Temporarily turn OFF encryption on the router. Then try connecting. If that works then there is no hardware fault and it must be a driver issue. then come back and tell us.

You do have the SSID set to broadcast on the router - yes?

NB - Turn the wireless on the router back off regardless of the result of this as it may not be secure and frankly financial liability is the least of your worries these days :(

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2007, 01:41:39 PM »

Rizla

Thanks for you continued help.

I decided to reset the router to factory settings and reinstall.  This took some time as it didn't reset but trip to netgear web site indicated I wasn't holding the reset button down long enough.  I have now reinstalled router and wireless connection is working, hurrah!!

In answer to your last post, I had already tried turning encryption off that didn't help.  The SSID is set to broadcast. 

Now that the wireless connection is enable again on laptop, it would seem that the laptop was picking up the connection but as an unsecured one which I was unable to connect to (I assume that it was as unsecured connection has now disappeared)

Any way problem now appears to be resolved but I appreciate your help, thank you.

Happy New Year.

gom
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything