Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wireless Router Choice  (Read 14360 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Re: Wireless Router Choice
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 09:02:56 PM »

Let us know how it goes, and of course if you have any problems you only have to ask.

Have now just received netgear dg834g, yes I'm a cheapskate went for less costly option.

I am having difficulties in setting up, connected router and following set up wizard couldn't get this to accept my default connection to ISP (I will check tomorrow with them to make sure I am using right address, although I'm sure it's right) tried to use manual option which didn't work. 

Decided then to start process all over again but couldn't get past router login, when starting the initial installation process I changed the admin login password as suggested by wizard but this did not work.  Also the wireless light on front of router has gone out.  Despite switching router off and back on still no light.

I have clearly done something wrong, but what?

gom
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:42:29 PM by roseway »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 10:45:37 PM »

I've taken the liberty of editing your message so that it displays properly (I didn't change the content of course). It's a while since I've used a DG834 so hopefully someone who does use it will be  along shortly.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 12:41:13 AM »

Hiya GOM

First and most important - is the green dsl light on?
Also what modem/router did you have before?  If you had a usb modem make sure you uninstall the software.  The ST modem software is notorious for causing conflict problems when trying to set up a router for the first time.

Can you get to your router page ok? (click ---> ) http://192.168.0.1
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 07:38:40 AM by roseway »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 07:39:16 AM »

I've edited your message so the click works :D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:27 PM »

ah thanks eric - I forgot about the .0.1 Bug
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 04:18:35 PM »

Kitz

Thanks for your reply.  I have a BT voyager router I think 203 or something similar, not at that computer right now.  Initially I did connect with the USB port so will uninstall software as you suggest.

Yes the DSL/Internet connection light was on, I think it's just a problem with connecting to my ISP.  Have confirmed my login details, it was one I tried but wouldn't accept.  Will have another go.  As usual I got through to plusnet on the phone (had to wait about 5 mins but with free phone calls not really a problem) and they were very helpful.

So just got to boot it up and start again.

Will come back if have any further problems.  These things are never as easy as they should be!!

gom

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 12:51:02 AM »

PN should be able to see if you have actually managed what is called a "PPP session".
(means that youve been able to connect to them).  If the PPP session has been established then it means that the connection settings in your router are correct.
-----

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 08:52:12 PM »

I have removed the voyager usb driver and tried to reinstall the netgear router, everything went OK although it took two attempts to connect to the local network.  However once I have got past that I need to enter the user name and password to get any further and I am completely stuck.

When starting the first installation I was prompted to change the password for admin which I did, but cannot get software to accept it.  Have tried caps and lower case, putting 'password' in, so I am stumped.  Any ideas?

PN did not check the new router when I rang them as I had disconnected and reconnected the 205.

I wonder if the router is faulty as the wireless light doesn't come on as suggested in the setup.

Help

gom

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 10:54:09 PM »

OK panic over.  Bit of research at netgear web site and found reset button, should have thought of that first. 

Reset and everything went ok this time, didn't change admin password to avoid problems. 

Have connected laptop to wireless network, after I found the wireless switch button!!

Thank you for your responses to my thread.

Happy Christmas to you all.

I for one will stay grumpy, bah humbug!!

gom

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 11:53:48 AM »

Glad everything worked out ok in the end :) And Merry Christmas to you
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 09:59:46 PM »

Glad it sorted

Merry chrimbo GOM
-----

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2007, 05:53:06 PM »

Thank you for your responses, hope you enjoyed your Christmas Day.

Unfortunately I now seem to have lost my wireless connection, although I can connect with ethernet cable.  Have checked settings and everything appears to be OK. 

May possibly relate to zone alarm, reinstalled today as task bar icon disappeared, but think I lost wireless connection before that.

I had noticed prior to that wireless connection did not take place immediately on boot up as vista setting. 

So a bit stumped on this, may try reinstalling connection on laptop but had enough for today!!

gom

Technophobe

• Davies Khan Immigration Advisers
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2007, 06:51:54 PM »

Unfortunately I now seem to have lost my wireless connection, although I can connect with ethernet cable. 

When I first set up my DG834G I had exactly the same problem. In my case, the WEP encryption on the router page was set to 64 bits but on the Netgear connection wizard, 128 bits. As soon as I set both to 128 bits, voila, it worked.

Without wishing to hijack GOM's thread, I am actually thinking of getting a new router. The DG834G was a freebie from AOL and it's done its job well for a year now, but it's time to move on. I'm quite used to Netgear stuff, so would be happy to go with them again, but have little technical knowledge to guide my choice. Do any better informed members have any thoughts and a suitable upgrade. I s'pose something around the £100.00 mark that's a step up or two from the DG834G.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2007, 09:31:30 PM »

>> The DG834G was a freebie from AOL and it's done its job well for a year now, but it's time to move on.

It's still a fairly decent router...  is there anything specific you are looking for?  If you want to "move on" with more "toys" to play with.. then perhaps look at one of the speedtouch routers where you can also play with DMT if need be
-----

Technophobe

• Davies Khan Immigration Advisers
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2007, 10:07:56 PM »

....more "toys" to play with..

Am I that transparent?  :D

But you're right, there's nowt wrong with the current router: I just fancy something new to play with. I'll have a butcher's at the speedtouch routers, then, and do a search for the definition of DMT   :-[

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3