Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wireless Router Choice  (Read 14356 times)

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
Wireless Router Choice
« on: November 27, 2007, 01:46:28 PM »

I have just purchased a netgear router type WGR614, and having taken delivery realised that I have ordered the wrong one as this is for a Cable Broadband Connection, whereas I am on a BT line.

This needs to be returned and replaced.  I have found an alternative a netgear DG834GUK which appears to be the right one, makes reference to an ADSL connection and has a telephone point filter.  However before I make the change can anyone confirm that this is correct, don't want to make a fool of myself twice by not reading the specification properly!!

If it is the right one, is it OK?  Netgear seem to have a good reputation.

Thanks in anticipation

gom

Re: Wireless Router Choice
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:54:54 PM »

If you like Netgear then I'd recommend a little "future proofing" on the wireless side of things?

The DG834N seems to be more suitable I think :

http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=DG834N

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:56:54 PM »

Rizla

Thanks for your reply.  I think from your reply the DG834GUK can be used with a BT point but you think the DG834N is more future proof.  However as I will only be using the router for a desktop and one laptop, it may be more than I need right now.

gom

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »

Hi Grumpy and welcome from another GOM. :)

I tend to agree with rizla, but if you're really sure you don't need the future proofing then any of the DG834 range should fit the bill. Another popular option is one of the Speedtouch range like this one: http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=ST585
  Eric

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 04:21:03 PM »

Well its a case of how long will the router be useful.

ADSL2+ is about as good as it gets on the ADSL side of things. There are various options to ADSL2+ which Netgear don't support - Annex M is one which allows increased upstream speeds. It is unlikely to be of interest unless you are on Be (its an ISP).

On the wireless side of things I wouldn't bother buying anything which wasn't capable of 802.11n. The difference in real world terms is basically this :

802.11g (with WPA encryption) = maximum of 20Mbps for the whole wireless network
802.11n (with WPA encryption) = maximum of 50Mbps for the whole wireless network (with a following wind :P - 40Mbps is sustainable though)

I am the only person who uses wireless in this house and 802.11n is MUCH faster than 802.11g

How long do you want it to last for? If its more than 2 years then get the DG834N.

jabns

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:28:47 PM »

I did have alot of dead spots in my house until i got Wireless N. I can just about reach the distance of my house now with out loosing the signal. With G i could not even get 2 rooms away!

It can depend on alot of things like thickness of walls, plumbing near by, dect phones and microwaves ect....

I actually get a performance increase from using WPA2 than with just MAC Address control (which is very unsecure).

James

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 10:48:58 AM »

Many thanks for your replies. 

It comes down to speed, at present I only get about 5 kps ( speedtest) and thus spending an extra £50 on the DG834N would certainly seem at present unnecessary as the likely hood of BT installing infrastructure to increase seems unlikely to say the least.

However I will digest your comments and make a decision

Thanks once again

gom

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 11:05:29 AM »

A speedtest result of 5kbps strongly suggests your service has a fault.

Can you go to http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html and then post the URL of your results page?

Eg - here's one I just did :

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/119624773799810511020.html

It's via the laptop (which is on wireless with a poor signal) so the results aren't really all that accurate.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:48:02 AM »

Rizla

Not at the computer in question at present.  Will carry out test this evening and post results.

Thanks

gom

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 12:14:01 PM »

When you do the test can you run it twice please? Once with the "Port 80" checkbox ticked and once without - its sometimes helpful to see whether http traffic on port 80 is significantly faster than the default ports (8080 & 8081 IIRC). If the difference is repeatable then it usually indicates some traffic shaping is taking place.

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 01:54:14 PM »

Will do

Thanks

gom

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 11:00:08 PM »

Nothing wrong with that :)

You typed 5kps before - perhaps a typo as you obviously get 5Mbps?

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 09:52:23 AM »

Sorry my mistake.

As I am only getting 5 the router DG834GUK would seem to OK for now and for the future if I ever get 20, probably unlikely in a rural area.

Thanks for your responses to my query.  It's good that forums like this exist to help people (like me) with limited technical knowledge.  The founder of this site, Kitz, gave me very useful advice when choosing my broadband provider a couple of years ago.

gom

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »

Let us know how it goes, and of course if you have any problems you only have to ask.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything