Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v0.5 released  (Read 11014 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v0.5 released
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 04:21:36 PM »

Works beautifully on Ubuntu. Are there any plans for error (e.g. error seconds, CRC, FECs, etc.) monitoring?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »

Thanks for that. Yes, There are plans to monitor other data, including errors.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 08:06:41 PM »

I am having one issue. The program seems to get stuck on one tab and I can't switch to any others unless I restart the program. It happens quite randomly but it seems to be more likely to occur if the program is kept running for a long time.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »

It does become a bit unresponsive while it's collecting a sample from the router. There's a red 'Sampling' indicator at the top, which is displayed while this is happening. Is it possible that this is what you've experienced? It should become responsive again after a few seconds.

One thing I ought to do is rewrite the part of the program which accesses the router as a separate thread, but I've been putting it off because it's quite difficult.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »

It freezes on one tab even when not sampling.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 10:39:54 PM »

Can you confirm that it actually stays frozen, or does it recover if you wait a while?
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »

I can confirm that after leaving it over an hour, it remains frozen.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »

OK, thanks. I've no idea what this can be at the moment.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »

Sorry ar545, one more question: did you have automatic snapshots enabled when the freezes occurred? If so, which graphs were set to autosave, and did you try running the program with automatic snapshots disabled, to see if the freezes still happened?
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »

It happens with or without automatic snapshots enabled.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »

Thanks, time to put on thinking cap.
  Eric

tristan

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 01:02:38 AM »

Any plans for a Mac version?

Unlikely, I'm afraid, unless someone could provide me with a Mac and a suitably qualified programming assistant. :)

Hi Eric, Bald_Eagle1 pointed me in your direction to shed some light on my woes (http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11424.15.html). Would you be willing to divulge the source code to see if I can get it running on a Mac? I assume the Linux -> Mac porting shouldn't be too difficult if it's written using X etc?

Else, I could bodge a similar result - was thinking a cron job running a simple bash script to collect the necessary data (what I do currently as I am remote from where the installation is) and append the values to a csv file + a gnuplot script to process the output when required.

I'm chasing info on an unusual occurrence that OpenReach have told me of (they see it at their end) - our line speed drops between midnight and 5am apparently, so something is happening somewhere... Be it an electric fence interfering, or perhaps some farm machinery kicking in causing interference, or even a temperature drop, it would be good to get some visibility.

Would appreciate your thoughts,

Tristan

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 07:38:13 AM »

Hi Tristan,

There's no secret about the source code - it's open source, but I haven't formalised the licensing yet. It can almost certainly be built on a Mac, because the development system I use (Lazarus/Freepascal) is a multi-platform system which includes MacOS in its supported list. You can't just take the source code and rebuild it on another platform - you need to install Lazarus and do some necessary configuration, then load rs-ux, modify it as necessary for the platform, then build it from there. If you're familiar with Lazarus it's straightforward, otherwise it would be a bit of a challenge.

The current state of development is that I completed a version 0.6, but didn't release it because I decided to do some major rewriting of the graphing sections of the program. So it's in a state of flux, but v0.6 is usable. If you can make use of its source code, let me know and I'll package it up and make it available.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]